• Welcome to the New Server...Fire in, we lost about 1 hour although some of you a may have still been in DNS Propagation.
    See you in the Morning. GGTTH

Edinburgh [half] tram line to become a network

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
I have to say having been against the tram at the start and through construction of the first phase I quite like it now and I'm looking forward to seeing them purr up and down Leith Walk. I have reservations about the traffic chaos but I'm sure we'll get used to it.

However.

Today brings us news of the future plans for trams ... and more than one line! It will be more than a tr .

"The plans show a north/south line, running from Granton Harbour and down to either Roseburn or Shandwick Place, on the existing central tram line.
The line would then follow the existing city centre track, before turning south-east to the ERI and Bio Quarter.
There are also plans for a mass transit network, including trams, extending west from the airport to West Lothian.
The council plans to have a complete business case for the next tram extension by 2023, with a final business case set to be completed in 2025.
Subject to approval, the council is aiming to have the north/south tram line, and a westward expansion, completed by 2030."

Nothing to Fife.

See link below.

Last week a read in a local Fife rag how their local travel plan headliner was an extention of the Edinburgh tram over the Forth and well into Fife. The local transport infrastructure will not be able to cope with the increased demand in the next few years it said.

It seems no-one in Fife thought to tell Edinburgh or vice versa. Do these people not think to talk to each other?

The City of Edinburgh Council don't have a great track record on anything tram. It was just too big for them and having an arms length company involved just compounded the clusterfuck. I'd gladly see projects like this at least partly taken out of local authority hands.

If its all allowed to go ahead I wouldn't be surprised if the Edinburgh and Fife trams ran on different guage tracks!

Beagle

Donator
I’m a great supporter of trams and light rail suburban transport. The networks in Europe are fantastic. My favourite one is Freiburg in Briesgau. I think I posted a video of the city’s latest link out to the new football stadium next to the airport.
Buses are, in my opinion, the biggest polluters on the roads and anything that gets rid of those lumps driving at 15 fucking miles per hour everywhere gets my backing.

PILTONSTANY

Shameless Radge
I’m a great supporter of trams and light rail suburban transport. The networks in Europe are fantastic. My favourite one is Freiburg in Briesgau. I think I posted a video of the city’s latest link out to the new football stadium next to the airport.
Buses are, in my opinion, the biggest polluters on the roads and anything that gets rid of those lumps driving at 15 fucking miles per hour everywhere gets my backing.
A Bus holds 100 passengers,imagine how much pollution and congestion there would be if each one those passengers used a Car instead....

southfieldhibby

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Excellent news, and it seems momentum is gathering to reopen the south sub line too. Get the track between Leith and Portobello open, and after the elections where the Green Party will probably have some proper clout, press ahead with their recent transportation plan....imagine having a main train terminal in Leith and a tunnel to Fife, would be amazing.

Beagle

Donator
A Bus holds 100 passengers,imagine how much pollution and congestion there would be if each one those passengers used a Car instead....
Not during a pandemic they don’t. Out here in West Lothian there’s dozens of buses trundling around empty causing unnecessary pollution.

PILTONSTANY

Shameless Radge
Not during a pandemic they don’t. Out here in West Lothian there’s dozens of buses trundling around empty causing unnecessary pollution.
They do in Edin,they’ve had to run a 12-20 min service so folk can space out and get to work.

The point stands though,only 40% of folk own a car in Edin and if they all switched from Bus you’d soon have a lot more to complain about.

Beagle

Donator
They do in Edin,they’ve had to run a 12-20 min service so folk can space out and get to work.

The point stands though,only 40% of folk own a car in Edin and if they all switched from Bus you’d soon have a lot more to complain about.
If I lived in Edinburgh I wouldn’t need a car either. But I’d rather use a tram than a bus any time. Out here in the sticks it takes about an hour to travel the 9 miles to Livingston by bus. Takes me about 15 minutes by car (unless I get stuck behind a fuckin bus that is)

PILTONSTANY

Shameless Radge
If I lived in Edinburgh I wouldn’t need a car either. But I’d rather use a tram than a bus any time. Out here in the sticks it takes about an hour to travel the 9 miles to Livingston by bus. Takes me about 15 minutes by car (unless I get stuck behind a fuckin bus that is)
Aye,I’m no saying ditch the car for the bus out in sticks.

The Tram is good and it’ll take a while to build a network,Manchester is a good example of running Trams to the commuter towns but also have free buses in the center.

Westside Green

Well-Known Radge
Excellent news, and it seems momentum is gathering to reopen the south sub line too. Get the track between Leith and Portobello open, and after the elections where the Green Party will probably have some proper clout, press ahead with their recent transportation plan....imagine having a main train terminal in Leith and a tunnel to Fife, would be amazing.
South Sub should've been opened up decades ago

EA2007

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
The more tram and train tracks the better. Unless you live anywhere near a tram stop then it’s not really worth a sook to you so the Leith extension is a decent start. Edinburgh traffic is a joke as are the parking restrictions as is the air pollution.

Reclaim the streets.
A few of the lefty lunatics will lap that sh1t up ??‍♂️

? ?

Reactions: Dub

emerald green

Well-Known Radge
Edinburgh is right next tae a right big muckle puddle o' water.. loads ae wind. Our air quality is just fine radges. (We are always 1 from copernicus air quality satelite). You might have a mare up the bridges on a hot dry windless day, but thats due tae the hundreds of empty buses sitting at bus stops running their engines.

Hopeully a bigger tram network will take these muckle big deisel buses of our roads. Then we can address the lorries and trucks.

Edinburgh has had a traffic problerm since david begg. Wisnae one before that. Chaotic roadworks all the time. Traffic not being allowed to flow. Disruptive traffic light sequences blah blah blah

1_alex_edwards

Just A Radge
Been using the trams since day 1 was becoming a nightmare driving in and out off Edinburgh and trying to get parked
Whitburn to park and ride then tram and a wee 10 min walk to Easter road looking forward to the extension and a wee 5 min walk

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
never been on them as just dont go where I need to. Did use teams in Prague a few years back, between them and the subway Prague was extremely easy to navigate round

Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage
SUPPORT THE SITE!
Monthly Goal: £107.00
Donations so far: £50.00

Unread Posts