Edinburgh council

SUPPORT THE SITE!
Sept Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £51.37

Hattie

Donator
Can they be anymore idiotic, stupid, useless and utterly baffling!!!
Well of course, they never fail….
They are bulldozing the world of football and bowling alley to build……. Yep of course they are…. More student flats…
Baffling when they are supposedly adamant about a policy of getting people fitter, healthier etc…
Edinburgh will be the worst city anywhere fir any kind of entertainment, football pitches, music venues… 🙈🙈 but as long as the arts are doing well and the students are happy.. and we will have all the tourists on the trams… going where? To do what?
why is edin council so utterly anti enjoyment and pro bland and completely ignorant of its own residents? Why do tourists AND students get all the benefits… fir as long as i xan remember of my 52 years they gave literally run Edinburgh with a small village mentality at the same time as trying to call itself global… oh but the festival…….🙈

Hibee Kev

Legendary Radge
Just seen this on the EEN Facebook page. Ridiculous. Something at the back of my head is telling me sometimes the "student accommodation" is a smokescreen for builders to get planning permission that wouldn't otherwise be granted?

Two Headed Boy

Well-Known Radge
I've said it a few times on here - I live in Glasgow these days and there is nothing that would pull me back East. Edinburgh is a city run for tourists and students not residents.

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Just seen this on the EEN Facebook page. Ridiculous. Something at the back of my head is telling me sometimes the "student accommodation" is a smokescreen for builders to get planning permission that wouldn't otherwise be granted?
I think the reason student flats is popular with developers is that the quality threshold for building them, as opposed to proper housing is considerably lower.

Forzahibs

I'm a Radge Donator
Can they be anymore idiotic, stupid, useless and utterly baffling!!!
Well of course, they never fail….
They are bulldozing the world of football and bowling alley to build……. Yep of course they are…. More student flats…
Baffling when they are supposedly adamant about a policy of getting people fitter, healthier etc…
Edinburgh will be the worst city anywhere fir any kind of entertainment, football pitches, music venues… 🙈🙈 but as long as the arts are doing well and the students are happy.. and we will have all the tourists on the trams… going where? To do what?
why is edin council so utterly anti enjoyment and pro bland and completely ignorant of its own residents? Why do tourists AND students get all the benefits… fir as long as i xan remember of my 52 years they gave literally run Edinburgh with a small village mentality at the same time as trying to call itself global… oh but the festival…….🙈
Where did you live till your teenage years ???

Stu

Maple Leaf Radge
I've always felt the City of Edinburgh Council are spiritually twinned with the City Council here - an administration that appears to find new and exciting ways of fcuking things up every single week. You have my sympathy.

This story sounds oh so familiar. We've around 66,000 students in the two city universities here and it's fair to say that the streets are awash with students in term time. I have no problem with that but unfortunately it appears that practically every building is now being turned over to student accommodation and the natives are far from happy. It's creating something of a rift between said natives and the students. Nottingham is a city with, dare I say, a bit of an 'edge' to it with lots of gangs, stabbings and general inner city crime and I don't see this relationship ending well. There are countless student accommodation developments around of all sizes, from closed down refurbished pubs and offices pubs to new builds and conversions of several hundred rooms each. I know it won't make you folks back home feel any better about things there but please know you're not alone.

Regarding similarities, I've read with some disdain how the likes of Underbelly have been allowed to do as they please, damaging Princes Street Gardens with the Christmas fair as an example. It reminds me of our own Christmas Fair 2020 here which ran for precisely ONE day, after an age had been putting it together with businesses stocking up foor and drink and then being cancelled due to the (surprise) crowds. Never appropriate in the first place in a city mostly in top tier lockdown. That one was signed off by our former weegie Councillor, a Celtc 'supporter' who couldn't even relate details of his team's appearance in the European Cup Final against Feyenoord when I asked him. :giggley:

All you need now up there is a failed Council energy company leaving the city with huge debts, a half-demolished shopping mall left to rot like some modern day Roman ruin and a tram network that nobody bothers paying to get on losing £400,000 a week (oh wait!) and you're all set for oblivion like us.

Jamie

Admin
New student flats at meadowbank, only took them about 4 months to chuck them up, almost finished, the nearest "college" is miles away!

Jack

New student flats at meadowbank, only took them about 4 months to chuck them up, almost finished, the nearest "college" is miles away!
I'd imagine most will cycle through Holyrood Park to the University ... using the cycle lanes ... obviously 🙄

jock3

Well-Known Radge
The rot started with the wanton privatisation of house building, started by Arch Satan Thatcher. The City of Edinburgh Council is directed by its democratically elected Councillors, so naturally its operations will reflect that ruling political persuasion. I didn't vote for my local Councillor, or my MP either. There was a lengthy public consultation on Tram and if enough people had filled in the survey maybe it wouldn't have taken place. If you're like me and couldn't be arsed, then well, do I need to finish the sentence?

Last edited:

MSG_07

Well-Known Radge
We have one of the worst councils in the UK. They are not there to improve things for the people that reside here.

Jack

We have one of the worst councils in the UK. They are not there to improve things for the people that reside here.
Not according to Private Eye, although it does seem to be like many English things it's very England centric.

I think if all things were being equal in Private Eye the City of Edinburgh Council could compete very well with the worst run councils in England.

Gareth

Well-Known Radge
The issue of student flats is a big one here i Glasgow too. Not sure its the case in all circumstances but one of the reasons developers are crawling all over them is that some Universities agreed bizarre deals that means they get paid whether occupied by students or not, hence one of the reasons Unis wanted students back so early.
Our Council is also pretty bollox, indeed seems to me that when councils decided to be implementation managers and not active participants in politics it all went a bit wrong. Like the others levels of government few seem to believe in anything

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here