• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Day Trip Ideas?

Smurf

Private Member
Reaction score
I want to jump in the car tomorrow and take the wee dude and Mummy away for a day trip. Always just went down the east coast but looking for ideas for different directions. Ideally want stuff that'll be open air good scenery and maybe things for a two year old. Any ideas?

I want to jump in the car tomorrow and take the wee dude and Mummy away for a day trip. Always just went down the east coast but looking for ideas for different directions. Ideally want stuff that'll be open air good scenery and maybe things for a two year old. Any ideas?
Glencoe is hard to beat . I went to Portnockie yeaterday , that coast is pretty spectacular some nice beaches

Peebles is good, great play park by the river and plenty cafes and pubs.

Peebles is good, great play park by the river and plenty cafes and pubs.

good news as borrowing neighbours caravan there in July.

Kelpies and Falkirk wheel is quite a good day out

Aberdour decent too and not too far

Down to Innerleithen for an ice cream. Then over the hill to St Mary's Loch and then onto Moffat

Beecraigs Country Park up the hill from Linlithgow, nice walks and play areas for the kids

Craigtoun Country park near St Andrews is a good family day out, followed by a fish supper in Anstruther on the way back

Last edited:
Down to Innerleithen for an ice cream. Then over the hill to St Mary's Loch and then onto Moffat
Where my Maw and Dads ashes are scattered. Went there a few times when we were kids.

Vogrie, Kelburn, Finlaystone

Beecraigs country park then Linlithgow a good shout @rude_boy stayed in wigwams there couple of times

good news as borrowing neighbours caravan there in July.

Kelpies and Falkirk wheel is quite a good day out
And there's a good play park at the Helix next to the Kelpies and plenty of swans and duck to see.

Is it the wee man’s mummy, or yours?

Need clarity before taking this further.

Where did you go?

Where did you go?
Great suggestions and as I didn't really want to go too far west I decided on Aberdour as I've never been. Been to Burntisland loads of times but somehow managed to miss Aberdour. I absolutely loved it. I could happily retire there!

Pub?

;)

Good shout going to Aberdour Kenny. Made me think of wee towns in Scotland that I had never been to until recently and enjoyed.

My new job has me going all over and I'm loving it, recently went to Falkland for the first time and thought it was terrific. I prefer towns on the coast, but could happily see myself spending a weekend there.

Any other wee town recommendations?

Good shout going to Aberdour Kenny. Made me think of wee towns in Scotland that I had never been to until recently and enjoyed.

My new job has me going all over and I'm loving it, recently went to Falkland for the first time and thought it was terrific. I prefer towns on the coast, but could happily see myself spending a weekend there.

Any other wee town recommendations?

Lanark, Peebles, Kelso, Melrose, Oban, Dunkeld, Cupar and many others.

Me and Mrs 1875 try to visit one every weekend during the non fitba season.

Was in Kelso on Monday, small microbrewery pub in main square. Had a lovely ipa or 3.
Decent places to eat and a walk along the tweed

Lanark, Peebles, Kelso, Melrose, Oban, Dunkeld, Cupar and many others.

Me and Mrs 1875 try to visit one every weekend during the non fitba season.
I've never been to Melrose for some reason, might get down there soon to have a wee looksee. Going to Ayr tomorrow for a couple of days, have been for the football but like alot of places, it's usually in and out so looking forward to seeing what's what.

Also should mention Kirkcudbright, a lovely wee place with enough to keep you interested for a few days.

I've never been to Melrose for some reason, might get down there soon to have a wee looksee. Going to Ayr tomorrow for a couple of days, have been for the football but like alot of places, it's usually in and out so looking forward to seeing what's what.

Also should mention Kirkcudbright, a lovely wee place with enough to keep you interested for a few days.
I'll echo the support for Kirkcudbright. About ten years ago there was an exhibition of some of the Great Masters of Painting, Cezanne, Renoir, etc., etc. Part of a national tour. Wasn't expecting to see so many wee boats down by the water. A lovely place. Wife and I had stopped there many years ago on our bi-annual trips to Stranraer.

Recently read Cal Flynn's book Islands of Abandonment which was brilliant but made me want to take a proper look at the bings next time I'm back in Edinburgh. Have a two year old myself and reckon he would be up for the exploring.

Recently read Cal Flynn's book Islands of Abandonment which was brilliant but made me want to take a proper look at the bings next time I'm back in Edinburgh. Have a two year old myself and reckon he would be up for the exploring.

We live near loads of bings. As kids we jumped down the sides, like we were moonwalking, played in the tarry ponds they created and later rode old motor bikes across them. They are/ were fascinating things. If you really are interested, Mill Farm in Livingston Village is great for you and your wee lad it as the shale oil museum and brilliant farm/ play facility. Let me know when you are next over, would happily take/ chum you.

Last edited:
We live near loads of bings. As kids we jumped down the sides, like we were moonwalking, played in the tarry ponds they created and later rode old motor bikes across them. They are/ were fascinating things. If you really are interested, Mill Farm in Livingston Village is great for you and your wee lad it as the shale oil museum and brilliant farm/ play facility. Let me know when you are next over, would happily take/ chum you.
Never knew any of the history until I was in the Parry Lamp. Who said underage drinking isn't good for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was in Kelso on Monday, small microbrewery pub in main square. Had a lovely ipa or 3.
Decent places to eat and a walk along the tweed

have had a few pints in that pub it’s pretty good, quite often stay at Linton Burnfoot near Kelso, Harestanes a good spot for day out with kids

Glencoe is hard to beat . I went to Portnockie yeaterday , that coast is pretty spectacular some nice beaches
There is indeed. Pennan village is very scenic. Gamrie is another. Even Peterheed has a couple of beaches, but take plenty goose fat if you're thinking of hitting the water.
Loads o castles in this neck of the woods too.
Slains Castle is 6 miles south of the Blue Toon. The place which inspired Bram Stoker to pen Dracula.
It's a bit of a hike for Edinburghers, but with the new bypass it's a good bit quicker.

Good day out at Gifford on Sunday post camping at blinkbonny woods with @hibadelic another pal and kids.
Great park, few walks and river to potter about at, couple of alright cafes and pubs.

Spent Saturday night at Ruberslaw camp site near Hawick, camping is spread across a farm with pitches in the treelines. Perfect night for cooking on the fire, beers and watching the sky 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

You can travel now....even to N.I. or Wales, a distance for a day trip granted, good to see one Bounce regular took advantage of this though..

Didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor
A beautiful day, we had lunch on the way and all for under a pound you know
But on the way back I cuddled with @Jack and we opened a bottle of cider
Singing a few of our favourite songs as the wheels went around.

Made up for Jack copping off. Get in son.

BIG G

Last edited:
Got a walking trip planned tomorrow
North Berwick to Dunbar on John Muir Way including NB Law.

Did the Edinburgh to North Berwick section last year

Good day out at Gifford on Sunday post camping at blinkbonny woods with @hibadelic another pal and kids.
Great park, few walks and river to potter about at, couple of alright cafes and pubs.
We've had similar trips to blinkbonny, kids love it there, though a couple got tics last time. Did Ring Farm camping in fife last weekend, magic!

Got a walking trip planned tomorrow
North Berwick to Dunbar on John Muir Way including NB Law.

Did the Edinburgh to North Berwick section last year
I wonder if anyone else here has a John Muir Certificate?

On Friday I took a trip to Berwick. My wee sister Mardi and Steve(Newhoose) were staying in a caravan /mobile home thingy for the week and invited me down for the day. Steve's cousin turned up and we repaired to a pub to watch the game. The pub I would say was 60/40 Scots. Anyway we had a good time and there was nae bother. Having not been a pub for two years I had more than my normal two and after 5, I was well merry. Anyway on our way back Carol the cousin and I were holding each other up and we veered off the path into a grassy patch next to the golf course and we were laid amongst the thistles and grass unable to move, meanwhile my sister and Steve were poorless.
So we eventually got up and back to the caravan thingy and we had some pizza and I went to bed. The next day I woke up with the hangover from hell and my hands and legs fizzing like anything feeling queasy and my claes all covered in sticky willies.
So managing to eat something we went into town and had a look around. I didn't have too much time but Berwick looks really interesting and I might go back some time for further exploration. We went into a Sue Ryder shop and spotted 3 Hibs tops (unfortunately a bit on the small side apart from the one Steve bagged) .I managed to get myself a John Pilger Dvd. So the trip to Berwick only cost about 20 quid return which was well worth it.

On Friday I took a trip to Berwick. My wee sister Mardi and Steve(Newhoose) were staying in a caravan /mobile home thingy for the week and invited me down for the day. Steve's cousin turned up and we repaired to a pub to watch the game. The pub I would say was 60/40 Scots. Anyway we had a good time and there was nae bother. Having not been a pub for two years I had more than my normal two and after 5, I was well merry. Anyway on our way back Carol the cousin and I were holding each other up and we veered off the path into a grassy patch next to the golf course and we were laid amongst the thistles and grass unable to move, meanwhile my sister and Steve were poorless.
So we eventually got up and back to the caravan thingy and we had some pizza and I went to bed. The next day I woke up with the hangover from hell and my hands and legs fizzing like anything feeling queasy and my claes all covered in sticky willies.
So managing to eat something we went into town and had a look around. I didn't have too much time but Berwick looks really interesting and I might go back some time for further exploration. We went into a Sue Ryder shop and spotted 3 Hibs tops (unfortunately a bit on the small side apart from the one Steve bagged) .I managed to get myself a John Pilger Dvd. So the trip to Berwick only cost about 20 quid return which was well worth it.
Berwick is a fantastic wee place mate. Stayed at said caravan site many times before.

Stayed night in Aberlady last night at ducks hotel, fairly average meal but good walk at the nature reserve followed by a few jars

This thread has been viewed 2404 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50