Day Trip Ideas?

superbam

Well-Known Radge

Recently read Cal Flynn's book Islands of Abandonment which was brilliant but made me want to take a proper look at the bings next time I'm back in Edinburgh. Have a two year old myself and reckon he would be up for the exploring.

Admin

Recently read Cal Flynn's book Islands of Abandonment which was brilliant but made me want to take a proper look at the bings next time I'm back in Edinburgh. Have a two year old myself and reckon he would be up for the exploring.

We live near loads of bings. As kids we jumped down the sides, like we were moonwalking, played in the tarry ponds they created and later rode old motor bikes across them. They are/ were fascinating things. If you really are interested, Mill Farm in Livingston Village is great for you and your wee lad it as the shale oil museum and brilliant farm/ play facility. Let me know when you are next over, would happily take/ chum you.

Last edited:

Westside Green

Well-Known Radge
We live near loads of bings. As kids we jumped down the sides, like we were moonwalking, played in the tarry ponds they created and later rode old motor bikes across them. They are/ were fascinating things. If you really are interested, Mill Farm in Livingston Village is great for you and your wee lad it as the shale oil museum and brilliant farm/ play facility. Let me know when you are next over, would happily take/ chum you.
Never knew any of the history until I was in the Parry Lamp. Who said underage drinking isn't good for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

tricky

Legendary Radge
Was in Kelso on Monday, small microbrewery pub in main square. Had a lovely ipa or 3.
Decent places to eat and a walk along the tweed

have had a few pints in that pub it’s pretty good, quite often stay at Linton Burnfoot near Kelso, Harestanes a good spot for day out with kids

greencol

Skivin cooncil Radge
Glencoe is hard to beat . I went to Portnockie yeaterday , that coast is pretty spectacular some nice beaches
There is indeed. Pennan village is very scenic. Gamrie is another. Even Peterheed has a couple of beaches, but take plenty goose fat if you're thinking of hitting the water.
Loads o castles in this neck of the woods too.
Slains Castle is 6 miles south of the Blue Toon. The place which inspired Bram Stoker to pen Dracula.
It's a bit of a hike for Edinburghers, but with the new bypass it's a good bit quicker.

rude_boy

Hibs Radge
Spent Saturday night at Ruberslaw camp site near Hawick, camping is spread across a farm with pitches in the treelines. Perfect night for cooking on the fire, beers and watching the sky 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

You can travel now....even to N.I. or Wales, a distance for a day trip granted, good to see one Bounce regular took advantage of this though..

Didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Bangor
A beautiful day, we had lunch on the way and all for under a pound you know
But on the way back I cuddled with @Jack and we opened a bottle of cider
Singing a few of our favourite songs as the wheels went around.

Made up for Jack copping off. Get in son.

BIG G

Last edited:

tricky

Legendary Radge
Got a walking trip planned tomorrow
North Berwick to Dunbar on John Muir Way including NB Law.

Did the Edinburgh to North Berwick section last year

Gareth

Well-Known Radge
Good day out at Gifford on Sunday post camping at blinkbonny woods with @hibadelic another pal and kids.
Great park, few walks and river to potter about at, couple of alright cafes and pubs.
We've had similar trips to blinkbonny, kids love it there, though a couple got tics last time. Did Ring Farm camping in fife last weekend, magic!

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here