Councils and their general shiteness.

greencol

Skivin cooncil Radge
Reported a pothole on Monday to the relevant branch of the council.
Pinpointed on a map. Photo supplied.
Received a job number same day.
Received a follow up e Mail next day stating the problem(pothole), name of the street, and the job number.
The street named is about 2 miles from the one I named.
Tried again yesterday.
Same result, only a different street again.
I'm now in Victor mode.

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
We can compare notes!

I emailed my councillors the other night because it’s now a year since a blow was struck on a half finished extension at the bairns primary school.

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Received a follow up e Mail next day stating the problem(pothole), name of the street, and the job number.
Tried again yesterday.
I'm now in Victor mode.
I don’t belieeeeve it! ?

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Tried again yesterday.
I'm now in Victor mode.
Before someone kicks off with the political "the SNP Scottish Government are starving the local councils of cash" it would seem some councils do better in some areas than others and I've no idea who runs which ones.

I honestly can't think of one area where Edinburgh comes close to being an exemplar bar excelling at being really crap in all areas [that I have contact].

The streets and pavements are unkempt, messy with weeds everywhere.

Roads! ROADS! I'll give you roads! The only roads in decent repair are the recently resurfaced ones where they've changed the layout and strangled the traffic flow!

This 'spaces for people' during lockdown sounds a great idea and it probably would have been if these asshole planners had done it when they were sober!

The bin men visit 4 or 5 times a fortnight. All on the same night! Sometimes you canny move in the street for bin lorries, it's like some Si-fi horror scene. Then when the bins are overflowing you can't remember what a bin lorry looks like cause you haven't seen one for so long!

Nobody is sure when the libraries are open, thats not just covid. The council muck about with their times all the time.

I could go on but most of you will have just skimmed through that, at best!

Green tinted specs

Just A Radge
Since we're pounding the council. About 2 weeks ago, was coming back along West Savile Terrace to my flat with my partner when we past some new saplings that had been planted along the pathways. As we were blethering I brushed against the wire mesh that was protecting said trees when my new jacket which she had bought for Christmas got snagged and ripped my sleeve in about 4 places. After going fucking mental, I looked at the mesh. It was just wrapped around and the overlapped end just all sticking out with individual ends of wire pointing into the pavement. Done all the email, photos bollocks, got a ref.no. and was told that would get back in touch in approx 20 weeks. 20 fucking weeks. God forbid a child falls onto these shitley constructed protective fences.

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
This is a cracker!

Folk were complaining that the rubbish bins around Leith Links weren't being emptied often enough and were regularly overflowing.

The councils solution was to remove the bins! :lauff:

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Well I've found out a bit more about the bairns school, not from the councillors!!!

As an aside, in my experience, councils tend to view councillors as an unwelcome and unhelpful interference in the day to day running of the council.

Anyways...

School updated that tenders are in, and process is a wee bit behind schedule because of COVID and Christmas holidays. As I know my way around the public contracts Scotland website I thought I would investigate.

In five minutes I found out that:

The projected contract period is 8 months which will take us up to Christmas which is more or less 2 years after the original contracted end date.

The tenders process was delayed not because of covid or Christmas holidays but because the council issued incomplete and late information.

I'm going to email the councillors and update them, and point out it is a bit role reversal.

moathibby

Legendary Radge
Ok I'll make a political point since everyone else is shitting themselves. Back in 1984 Labour won the Council against all expectations. They hadn't been in power since as long as people could remember. I had basically been on the dole since I left college in 1980. I think 150 or so of us were taken on, on temporary contracts. I think it was 12 weeks and they would keep some of us on, can't remember how many. Now if you remember back, the Tories were going to rate cap the councils. Liverpool, Sheffield and Edinburgh stood out against the Rate Cap;,a red flag went up in the City Chambers.
There was a march which went from Waterloo Place to the Usher Hall. Leading the march were the Council Leader-whose name I have forgotten, someone will remember, Alex something? probably big G, there was Robin Cook, Alistair Darling, Gordon Brown and others. I marched along with my fellow scaffies, proudly wearing my 'Creating Jobs, Improving Services' t-shirt.
Anyway to cut a long story short, the streets looked as bad as they do now, the neglect the Tory council had done meant that the litter was everywhere; gutters were clogged up by dirt and weeds, the sivers were full to overflowing, flooded streets were common.
We were told we had 12 weeks to prove ourselves the streets were to be spotless. Well I can tell you we grafted like someone possessed for weeks, we swept grit in from the middle of the road into the gutter;,we weeded, we shovelled shit, we lifted deid animals, pishy mattresses, needles, glass, you name it. Macdonald road was so spotless you could have eaten your dinner off it. By and large the streets were a huge improvement and we did it because we wanted to keep our jobs and we were proud of our council for fighting the cuts. But of course eventually the Council capitulated and slowly but surely standards declined, but they never got back to the state they were under the Tories.
Eventually the Tories brought in tendering, and we stupidly sold a days holiday to win the in house tender, and me being a steward at the time, knew it was never going to be the same and so I got out, and so the rot set in to where we are today.

Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage
SUPPORT THE SITE!
April Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £40.00

Unread Posts