• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Corona virus on its own thread.

Add to that many people now work from home, isolating doesn't affect their ability to do their job.
Not those who are most likely to get it (multiple times), the NHS workers. Which again directly pressurises hospital bed and ICU occupation?

Not those who are most likely to get it (multiple times), the NHS workers. Which again directly pressurises hospital bed and ICU occupation?

Don't disagree D, would extend that to many workers who face the public daily.

Real tragedy being that feck all is getting done to increase our nhs to cope with this and future pandemics.
(bar supply chains)
Hospitals replaced for so called super hospitals certainly hasn't helped, a real failure down the years.

Don't disagree D, would extend that to many workers who face the public daily.
I’m a former hospitality worker of many years standing. Still have many colleagues in the game. Their mainly young staff are horrified if they get a positive test: not because of the virus, but because even though there’s fuckall wrong with them, they’re expected to use annual leave to self-isolate, or even unpaid leave. Absolutely mental.

I’m a former hospitality worker of many years standing. Still have many colleagues in the game. Their mainly young staff are horrified if they get a positive test: not because of the virus, but because even though there’s fuckall wrong with them, they’re expected to use annual leave to self-isolate, or even unpaid leave. Absolutely mental.
Crazy..and that only leads to people not testing or not admitting they have been in contact with anyone with the virus...got to admit I have never done the track and trace thing, just never trusted it after hearing stories of itcarxhing people on other side of a wall or fair bit apart in a shop. I especially did not want it when I was on probation period at work

We are all aware that we are all going to get this? And will likely do so several times most likely? Thankfully however thanks to the superb vaccinations and the Omicron variant being much much less deadly the overwhelming majority will be OK. I reckon Omicron is the end game.
This guy talks such reassuring sense. Well worth a follow if you're on Twitter.

We are all aware that we are all going to get this? And will likely do so several times most likely? Thankfully however thanks to the superb vaccinations and the Omicron variant being much much less deadly the overwhelming majority will be OK. I reckon Omicron is the end game.

I hope that Tory advisor is correct but I can't help thinking it makes sense to you (and others) because he's saying what you, understandably, want to hear.

He puts forward the idea that morbidity will decrease but that's widely disputed. As far as I can make out, it's a crap shoot. Next variant could be less or more severe, there's nothing really guiding it.

We all want to get back to normality but just hoping it's going away doesn't seem like a great solution. I hope I'm wrong as that seems to be the route we're heading down regardless.

Read a report from USA that says their reported flu rates recently over a set period reduced from just under 130k to just over 1300. Deaths have also virtually disappeared from 22k last year. Other respiratory diseases are showing similar results Lots of questions to be asked later..is the flu virus being stopped because of face masks hand washing etc or is the spread of covid defeating it?

Will it come back stronger or weakened?

Either way covid deaths are probably responsible for most of those who may have died from the flu anyway. Interesting point is made that cleaning surfaces is not really making a difference with covid which is more air borne...whereas the flu does spread a lot through contact with surfaces so really has been a bit of a side effect of something that probably wouldnt have worked

I hope that Tory advisor is correct but I can't help thinking it makes sense to you (and others) because he's saying what you, understandably, want to hear.

He puts forward the idea that morbidity will decrease but that's widely disputed. As far as I can make out, it's a crap shoot. Next variant could be less or more severe, there's nothing really guiding it.

We all want to get back to normality but just hoping it's going away doesn't seem like a great solution. I hope I'm wrong as that seems to be the route we're heading down regardless.
He's maybe advising the UK Gov but he's from the left politically. It shows how fucked up things have become that you call him a "Tory advisor". You could also say the "SNP advisor" professor Mark Woolhouse is on record saying folk being outside has absolutely no impact on Covid-19 numbers.

That's outrageous. I suspect if the managers of those who are doing the expecting found out they'd get their arses severely kicked.

That's outrageous. I suspect if the managers of those who are doing the expecting found out they'd get their arses severely kicked.
How can they? The government hasn’t put any support in place for them. They will most likely get statutory sick pay which works out at around £19/£20 per day or they take holidays and receive full pay

Possibly wrong thread but after my isolation thought it was appropriate :-

How can they? The government hasn’t put any support in place for them. They will most likely get statutory sick pay which works out at around £19/£20 per day or they take holidays and receive full pay
You're probably right. Hospitality bosses, some of them, seem to believe they are somehow above all this science stuff.

I don't know how it works but I understand there's a £500 grant for people affected.

You're probably right. Hospitality bosses, some of them, seem to believe they are somehow above all this science stuff.

I don't know how it works but I understand there's a £500 grant for people affected.
No disrespect Jack but I say this to mates of mine working in the public sector that they've really not got a clue with what goes on in the private sector! Especially in SME's employees really have no option but to get on with it....

As of yesterday at approx. 2pm there were 43 people in ICU with Covid, and over 1200 in hospital with Covid.
No idea with which variant has them there.
18 deaths.

As of yesterday at approx. 2pm there were 43 people in ICU with Covid, and over 1200 in hospital with Covid.
No idea with which variant has them there.
18 deaths.
And it would be good to know the data/breakdown on what variants are affecting folk. If for example Omicron was only 1 of the 43 in ICU the picture would look entirely different. And if unvaccinated was 42 of the 43. Etc, etc...

And it would be good to know the data/breakdown on what variants are affecting folk. If for example Omicron was only 1 of the 43 in ICU the picture would look entirely different. And if unvaccinated was 42 of the 43. Etc, etc...
It would indeed.
1200 people in hospital is a big number though.
1200 beds( ok , possibly short term, but..) that could be utilised for other illnesses/ operations.
Not to mention nurses etc looking after 1200 folk.

He's maybe advising the UK Gov but he's from the left politically. It shows how fucked up things have become that you call him a "Tory advisor". You could also say the "SNP advisor" professor Mark Woolhouse is on record saying folk being outside has absolutely no impact on Covid-19 numbers.

Any thoughts on the more controversial bits of what he's saying or are you just promoting it without any criticism because it suits what you'd like to be true?

I think that would depend on what variant we have each year and each one would have to be assessed properly, sadly even if a vulnerable person catches a mild strain in years to come it still will cause issues on the NHS like the flu does each year.

The number in ICU has been pretty static for 4 weeks now 30/40 ish . Are these numbers patients who have been in ICU long term or new ins and outs 🤷‍♂️ The numbers are def not rising and as omicron is the dominant variant it would follow that this variant isn’t so serious . You also have to factor in the numbers who’ve now had a booster, over 3mlllion , Scotland does seem to be winning the battle .
Can’t say the same for england who’ve had over 500 deaths in the ast 2 days 😩

Any thoughts on the more controversial bits of what he's saying or are you just promoting it without any criticism because it suits what you'd like to be true?
What's controversial what he's saying?

The number in ICU has been pretty static for 4 weeks now 30/40 ish . Are these numbers patients who have been in ICU long term or new ins and outs 🤷‍♂️ The numbers are def not rising and as omicron is the dominant variant it would follow that this variant isn’t so serious . You also have to factor in the numbers who’ve now had a booster, over 3mlllion , Scotland does seem to be winning the battle .
Can’t say the same for england who’ve had over 500 deaths in the ast 2 days 😩
England hasn't had 500 deaths in 2 days though. It's been less. The 300+ figure given on Wed had a lag in them.

Incredible statistics. IMG-20220106-WA0010.jpg

England hasn't had 500 deaths in 2 days though. It's been less. The 300+ figure given on Wed had a lag in them.
True , but death rates on average are still higher per capita than up here

Incredible statistics. View attachment 7379
Should be mandatory vaccinations implemented unless exempt.

Incredible statistics. View attachment 7379
Makes you wonder why some people still refuse to be vaccinated 🤷‍♂️

True , but death rates on average are still higher per capita than up here
I'll be surprised if there's much movement on excess deaths for this period anywhere in the UK. Many don't appear to like it but we are NOT where we were with Covid-19 March-July 2020 or December 2020 - March 2021. Omicron isn't putting folk in hospital/ICU/death as before. Too much data from all over the world confirms this is a much much less deadly variant. And we have superb vaccinations and drugs available.

Absolutely. However, maybe instead of Johnson & Sturgeon saying "get your booster" we properly shared such stats folk could make informed decisions...

Would be crazy. That debate though is coming.

Suspiciously though they are usually fit, healthy young folk. Wonder if the Josh Taylor's of this world would be so brave on their stance were they 60+ with underlying health issues :sm113:

I know what you mean given the stats, however I am still very uneasy about forcing people by law to get vaccinated.

Suspiciously though they are usually fit, healthy young folk. Wonder if the Josh Taylor's of this world would be so brave on their stance were they 60+ with underlying health issues :sm113:
Or possibly passing the disease on to a older/vulnerable relative or friend 🤷‍♂️

What's controversial what he's saying?

That answers my question.

I'll be surprised if there's much movement on excess deaths for this period anywhere in the UK. Many don't appear to like it but we are NOT where we were with Covid-19 March-July 2020 or December 2020 - March 2021. Omicron isn't putting folk in hospital/ICU/death as before. Too much data from all over the world confirms this is a much much less deadly variant. And we have superb vaccinations and drugs available.

I think what many people don't like is the lack of understanding that despite it being statistically less likely to have serious outcomes at an individual level, the rate of infection is so much greater that it's causing other problems.

It's pretty frustrating to hear people go on about it as if there's no problem, or that the restrictions and mitigations are what's causing the problem. Bedroom virologists from the University of Facebook spouting off as if they know everything about this variant when actually there's a lot that's still a lot that the proper scientists don't know.

That answers my question.

I think what many people don't like is the lack of understanding that despite it being statistically less likely to have serious outcomes at an individual level, the rate of infection is so much greater that it's causing other problems.

It's pretty frustrating to hear people go on about it as if there's no problem, or that the restrictions and mitigations are what's causing the problem. Bedroom virologists from the University of Facebook spouting off as if they know everything about this variant when actually there's a lot that's still a lot that the proper scientists don't know.
Pretty ironic when you're challenging the opinions of a hugely respected guy in Professor Francois Balloux who is the director of the UCL Genetics Institute and a professor of computational biology at University College London.

Pretty ironic when you're challenging the opinions of a hugely respected guy in Professor Francois Balloux who is the director of the UCL Genetics Institute and a professor of computational biology at University College London.
Another guy who speaks total sense when I see him on tv is professer Steven Reicher out of st andrews university 👍👏

And how many people in hospital with covid are actually there for something completely different.. or went in with something different and contracted covid while there

Another guy who speaks total sense when I see him on tv is professer Steven Reicher out of st andrews university 👍👏
I enjoy listening to him too. Thing is though that most of the "experts" are going to discuss worst case scenario's (it's what the media outlets want them to talk about) let's be honest if everything was looked at through a prism of absolute safety first would we drink alcohol, drive a car, go on a flight, cross a road....

I absolutely *get* that it's not just about the individual but our impact on others. Our loved ones who perhaps have enderlying health issues. And of course workers in healthcare and key sectors such as transportation that enables a functioning society. I like others have tried to mitigate spread as much as possible. I rarely go out into inside places such as bars/restaurants/leisure. And I have totally scaled back visiting family such as parents to the point that it's made me feel uncomfortable. For example my folks a 5 minute walk from me I've not seen this year as I'm terrified of passing anything on. I think we are all trying to our bit where we can.

And how many people in hospital with covid are actually there for something completely different.. or went in with something different and contracted covid while there
Absolutely this!

One problem is, I think, that everyone with Covid has to be treated in a secure unit with strict infection control, using more resources. It's not like contracting other complications.

I think when the information is reviewed from the pandemic in a few years time, we will find lots of mistakes were made. The actions were probably made for the right reasons, based on the information that was available at the time, but they turned out to be the wrong actions.

That won't just be the politicians, that will be scientists too. And when scientists and politicians get together you have sufficiently murky waters to give everyone plausible deniability.

Edit: and of course, once politicians and scientists are aware of mistakes, they will do everything possible to cover their tracks, to stop the likes of us finding out about them. The Pandemic has made a lot of people very rich.

This thread has been viewed 319739 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back