• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Corona virus on its own thread.

I don't really disagree with much you say but, as you've acknowledged yourself, you don't have an alternative to propose and it's quite easy to argue against something if you don't have to balance it with an argument "for" something.

As I see it there are basically three options:
1. Lockdown and release cycles as the UK has done. Frankly the level of "release" we've had doesn't justify the amount of lockdown we've had in my opinion.
2. Let it run through the population - I reckon that would probably lead to between quarter and half a million dead in the UK, not to mention the chance of new, vaccine resistant or more deadly, variants emerging.
3. "Zero Covid" - which I agree needs a curtailing of liberties which I'm not entirely comfortable with, but I'd take it in exchange for life getting back to near normal. I do wonder whether, if the messaging had been clearer up front and things like the Cummings debacle hadn't happened, would we have managed to pull together better as a population to drive it voluntarily and not need to legislate so much? We'll never know for sure and frankly I doubt it, I don't think the UK population is wired that way.

So whilst I agree you present a compelling case against 3, I personally think it's the "least worst" option. Bottom line is that pandemics are a bit shite and there's no "good" way to deal with them.
What I will say unequivocally is that I prefer to debate it with folk like you, sir. You're right, I don't have the answers.

What I will say unequivocally is that I prefer to debate it with folk like you, sir. You're right, I don't have the answers.
Likewise, and whilst "enjoy" is probably the wrong word to use about debates on a global pandemic I do find your posts to be very thought provoking and well reasoned so they really make me think and adjust my own views. Think I can confidently state that we're in agreement that it would be great if the whole thing just fucked right off and let us get back to normal!

Likewise, and whilst "enjoy" is probably the wrong word to use about debates on a global pandemic I do find your posts to be very thought provoking and well reasoned so they really make me think and adjust my own views. Think I can confidently state that we're in agreement that it would be great if the whole thing just fucked right off and let us get back to normal!
Defo!!!

It's absolutely facile to blame "British nationalism" - firstly, because it's not as if we're the only Western country to have problems, and secondly, well, as I said, it's totally facile.

The answer to your question "why are we not copying Asia" is, ultimately, people.

1) Experience: this vital component of the Asian response alas simply cannot be replicated. The region’s approach has been shaped by the traumatic memories of other recent epidemics — most notably Sars — which meant that governments were better prepared to react fast and forcefully and populations much more willing to co-operate. As I'm sure ours will be in future years and future pandemics.

2) Compliance: this relates to both experience as above, but also to the general political conditions of normal life. Chang Shan-chwen is convener of the expert advisory panel to the Central Epidemic Command Center, which manages Taipei’s response: “In [China’s] autocratic system, every citizen will stay at home when told so. But this is something which cannot be easily achieved in free and democratic countries.” Quite so.

Back in last March, Singapore banned short-term visitors from entering or transiting through Singapore, limited gatherings to 10 people, banned large events, and closed all bars and entertainment venues. Not so bad, right? We did similar (travel excepted). But they also enforced social distancing of 1 metre, and those who defied the order could be fined up to $10,000 Singapore dollars ($7,000 U.S.) or be arrested and face up to six months in jail. In some cases, both penalties were enforced. The government also used mobile apps, house visits and phone surveillance to monitor the activities of citizens and catch potential violators. Even in sainted NZ, the polis could search your home without a warrant.

Now you might weigh things up and think stuff like that is tolerable, and fair enough. I, though, do not feel admiration for autocratic, authoritarian states in general, and I certainly don't think that the extreme ends of the measures are justified or proportional, and in some cases, not something we should tolerate in any circumstances: it's the thin end of the wedge.

Doubtless you'll brand me a "pampered Westerner", or tell me I'm happy for my granny to die, but I don't care any more. It's how I feel. There's a degree of liberty I consider inviolate, as it is literally a foundation stone of the way we live whether there's a pandemic or not.

British exceptionalism might have been closer to what I meant (I was a few beers in), though the two typically go hand in hand. Sure, it's not the whole story but it played a big part in the early stages of our preparation and strategy.

Yes, dealing with Sars gave Asian countries an edge at the start of last year. That was a year ago and we till haven't learnt much. It's not really good enough to wait for the next pandemic when we can learn for this one.

The compliance argument is only really relevant to the effectiveness of a lockdown. It's a widely used excuse by governments who failed to put in basic disease controlling procedures. Most of the countries you mention barely had or needed lockdowns, certainly not to the extent that we have. Singapore's strong arm approach may have helped them but I think your suggestion that it was required in NZ is off the mark, certainly no-one I know there has complained of such - they're just happy to be living relatively normal lives. Norway or Finland have faired quite well too, proving there's more to this.

Even now we're unable to put in a proper quarantine system for international travel, manage self isolation effectively, have a proper international travel strategy or avoid paying people to sit in crowded restaurants. Other than ruining your annual fortnight in the sun, none of this would infringe on your freedom much. Personally, I'd take it to avoid another lockdown.

PS Rocky, you do know that Sridhar is a "zero Covid" advocate? Also perhaps interesting to note that while her first degree was in biology, her PhD is in politics... In other words, she has no particular expertise in epidemiology, virology, clinical practice or any other subject normally considered relevant to make recommendations about infection control. This has been publicly confirmed by her department head at Edinburgh when directly challenged. I'm not saying she's not worth listening to at all – her 'expertise' is in the politics of global health, societal effects of interventions etc – rather I'm saying that the uncritical way in which many folk seem to accept her proclamations as gospel is also worth evaluating: she is not bound by the same ethical standards as actual medical professionals, precisely because she isn't a medical professional.
Most of the people on independent sage do have a science background and are worth paying attention to.

Most of the people on independent sage do have a science background and are worth paying attention to.
Recent reports have shown that NZ unemployment rate has gone down by 10,thousand in this last year. It has jumped by something like 820 thousand in the UK. So even economically our approach makes no sense.

Scientists saying if we don't shut the borders properly then we will be living with this upto 5 years or more with virus mutation continuing, if we do it now it could be year,.

New third lockdown in Victoria Australia. Outbreak at an isolation hotel at Melbourne Airport.Seems to be the ultra contagious UK strain.
Alarmingly the proposed rules for isolation hotels in England are weaker in several aspect than at play in Australia. No idea if the rules in the other three countries are the same as England.

BIG G

New third lockdown in Victoria Australia. Outbreak at an isolation hotel at Melbourne Airport.Seems to be the ultra contagious UK strain.
Alarmingly the proposed rules for isolation hotels in England are weaker in several aspect than at play in Australia. No idea if the rules in the other three countries are the same as England.

BIG G

Goes to show how much these hotels are needed. Victoria will be in lockdown for a week or two then back to normal. Compare to the UK's hapless approach where we've had major lockdowns and restrictions for a year with no end in sight.

BIG G
I think its an illustration of where most countries have mucked up.

From the very start there's been countries, nearly all on the other side of the world, that have dealt with the crisis much better than the countries who think they know better!

Its almost as if following our own scientific advice has been our downfall where we would have been better following the scientific evidence thrown up by the Far East and beyond and copying them.

Close borders and regions, aggressive track and trace systems etc. but most importantly with these thing act quickly.

The English restrictions on travel from abroad looks like its been designed for BJs dad and the rest of the elite to fuck off to their holiday homes without having to stay in one of these awful Premier Inns with riff raff on their return.

I think its an illustration of where most countries have mucked up.

From the very start there's been countries, nearly all on the other side of the world, that have dealt with the crisis much better than the countries who think they know better!

Its almost as if following our own scientific advice has been our downfall where we would have been better following the scientific evidence thrown up by the Far East and beyond and copying them.

Close borders and regions, aggressive track and trace systems etc. but most importantly with these thing act quickly.

The English restrictions on travel from abroad looks like its been designed for BJs dad and the rest of the elite to fuck off to their holiday homes without having to stay in one of these awful Premier Inns with riff raff on their return.
£1750 for a 10 day remand in a premier Inn?
How do the arrive at 175 quid per night I thought hotels had dynamic pricing.

BIG G
UK strain? Thae pricks down south are quick enough to label other strains with the country of origin so this particular strain should be referred to worldwide as the English strain. Let them own it.

UK strain? Thae pricks down south are quick enough to label other strains with the country of origin so this particular strain should be referred to worldwide as the English strain. Let them own it.
Is this the Kent version? Blame those lorry drivers, migrants or any other scapegoat

Is this the Kent version? Blame those lorry drivers, migrants or any other scapegoat
Aye that’s what they call it to try and disguise that it’s yet another English pox foisted on the rest of the world because their self entitled population cannie follow rules.

I just plucked Premier Inn out the sky. I've no idea who they are using but with accommodation, food*, x2 tests, security etc. I wouldn't surprised if it did turn out to be them.

* I don't know what food is or isn't included.

I've looked it up. Food and water is included. If you don't like whats on offer or want more you can buy that directly from the hotel.

Last edited:
I just plucked Premier Inn out the sky. I've no idea who they are using but with accommodation, food*, x2 tests, security etc. I wouldn't surprised if it did turn out to be them.

Bread and water. Victorian Values

I suspect it will be Premier Inn, owned by Whitbread who are big Tory supporters / donors. Probably coincidence.

The Tories are tied by a thousand strings through family, friends school chums and donors to the travel industry, finance sector, construction industry, gambling industry and many other big boys in their portfolio, while not giving the square root of fuck all for the little guys in those sectors.

Slightly off topic however indicative of them. The huge screaming by them and their pals in the Tory MSM, when the European Commission fucked up, no matter how briefly regarding, a daft threat to put controls on the Irish border to limit the export of vaccines to the UK.
Demonstrated to me a cornered rat, suddenly confronted with, fishermen, farmers and other exporters saying hold fucking on you said Brexit wouldnae effect us.
This uber nationalist, stuff is both daft and boring. Grow up.

BIG G

Aye that’s what they call it to try and disguise that it’s yet another English pox foisted on the rest of the world because their self entitled population cannie follow rules.

Deary fucking me.

BIG G

The Tories are tied by a thousand strings through family, friends school chums and donors to the travel industry, finance sector, construction industry, gambling industry and many other big boys in their portfolio, while not giving the square root of fuck all for the little guys in those sectors.

Slightly off topic however indicative of them. The huge screaming by them and their pals in the Tory MSM, when the European Commission fucked up, no matter how briefly regarding, a daft threat to put controls on the Irish border to limit the export of vaccines to the UK.
Demonstrated to me a cornered rat, suddenly confronted with, fishermen, farmers and other exporters saying hold fucking on you said Brexit wouldnae effect us.

This uber nationalist, stuff is both daft and boring. Grow up.

BIG G
Well, say it like it is then. UK implies Scotland is as culpable as England when that’s clearly not the case.

Well, say it like it is then. UK implies Scotland is as culpable as England when that’s clearly not the case.

So if it had eminated from the culpably Scottish Governments' policy regarding inward travelling at that time you would be screaming like a petulant bairn to call it the Scottish strain. I think not. I repeat, dreary fucking me. I think my Nat amigos and I have many good ones, think you are talking kack but would not say so. Scrum in. Get on with it.

BIG G

So if it had eminated from the culpably Scottish Governments' policy regarding inward travelling at that time you would be screaming like a petulant bairn to call it the Scottish strain. I think not. I repeat, dreary fucking me. I think my Nat amigos and I have many good ones, think you are talking kack but would not say so. Scrum in. Get on with it.

BIG G
You bet that if it had came from here it would be headline news in the tabloids and news media calling it Scottish. Would you still be referring to it as UK then or are you all for solidarity with our ‘friendly’ neighbours?

You bet that if it had came from here it would be headline news in the tabloids and news media calling it Scottish. Would you still be referring to it as UK then or are you all for solidarity with our ‘friendly’ neighbours?
You talk about English, NI, and Welsh workers as though they are enemies. I have more friends in England than West Lothian. Go figure Dixon.

BIG G

You talk about English, NI, and Welsh workers as though they are enemies. I have more friends in England than West Lothian. Go figure Dixon.

BIG G
Wonder how I come to that conclusion that England as a country is Scotland’s enemy? Maybe something do do with almost 1000 years of war and invasion.
Why is it that we are somehow forced to stay pals with them while the rest of the world hates their guts? And the rest of the world does, believe me.
Independence for Scotland is payback time and the rest of the world will be quietly cheering us on. You’re gonna have to pick your side like all of us

A deadlier variant could develope in any constituent part of the UK, today or any time in the future. the name of it will pale into insignificance.

BIG G

Wonder how I come to that conclusion that England as a country is Scotland’s enemy? Maybe something do do with almost 1000 years of war and invasion.
Why is it that we are somehow forced to stay pals with them while the rest of the world hates their guts? And the rest of the world does, believe me.
Independence for Scotland is payback time and the rest of the world will be quietly cheering us on. You’re gonna have to pick your side like all of us
They're no enemy of mine and I suspect (and hope) that you're in a very small minority in thinking that. Scotland voted to remain part of the UK, that doesn't sound to me like they're seen as an enemy.

No idea if the rules in the other three countries are the same as England.

BIG G

I do now. Watching the Scottish briefing, under unusualy good pressure from journalists, Freeman and Leitch confirmed that the Scottish strategy is the same as England's. Worrying.
People mixing for a smoke, breath of air, with security person, useless PPE requirements, compared to top grade Australian requirement.
Listened to an Aussie expert talking about learning leasons from this on Radio 4 this morning at 0600, he said that allowing people outside was in hindsight wrong. He reckoned that most infection occurred in corridors. Doors opened, negative pressure, infection firing into corridor. At least they are admitting to mistakes and addressimg them. If only.

BIG G

Last edited:
A deadlier variant could develope in any constituent part of the UK, today or any time in the future. the name of it will pale into insignificance.

BIG G
Yes, all of that is right but as I said, if it originated in either Wales, Ireland or Scotland those fucks in the uk media and government would label it as such. All I was suggesting is that because it has originated in England, let them own it as the English variant and not disguise it to the rest of the world with giving it either ‘south east’ or ‘Kent’.

Yes, all of that is right but as I said, if it originated in either Wales, Ireland or Scotland those fucks in the uk media and government would label it as such. All I was suggesting is that because it has originated in England, let them own it as the English variant and not disguise it to the rest of the world with giving it either ‘south east’ or ‘Kent’.

Did you listen to the the expert opinion from the Edinburgh University before and after the Briefing today talking about the situation in Australia, referring to the UK variant. Carry On.

67dd7843-6598-44cd-bf9d-0c8dc47193b6-1.jpg

BIG G

I do now. Watching the Scottish briefing, under unusualy good pressure from journalists, Freeman and Leitch confirmed that the Scottish strategy is the same as England's. Worrying.
People mixing for a smoke, breath of air, with security person, useless PPE requirements, compared to top grade Australian requirement.
Listened to an Aussie expert talking about learning leasons from this on Radio 4 this morning at 0600, he said that allowing people outside was in hindsight wrong. He reckoned that most infection occurred in corridors. Doors opened, negative pressure, infection firing into corridor. At least they are admitting to mistakes and addressimg them. If only.

BIG G
Just an observation.

In New Zealand folk are allowed out for an hours exercise a day, they seem to be doing well enough. Maybe its just the way its managed.

I'm finding this concern from the media around this tiny part of this single strategy a little perplexing. :sm113:

Its not like folk, experts even, haven't been calling for this for almost a year. Almost as if there's nothing else more serious going on that governments in the UK should be held to account for that doesn't warrant a mention.

Premier Inn are not on Scotland's list of providers I read. Also the costs include food and a number of Covid tests.

Just an observation.

In New Zealand folk are allowed out for an hours exercise a day, they seem to be doing well enough. Maybe its just the way its managed.

I'm finding this concern from the media around this tiny part of this single strategy a little perplexing. :sm113:

Its not like folk, experts even, haven't been calling for this for almost a year. Almost as if there's nothing else more serious going on that governments in the UK should be held to account for that doesn't warrant a mention.
Previous posts on here confirm your observation that management in NZ, makes the countries of the UK over the past 365 days look look hapless and fucking useless. It is utterly pathetic that punters on this Hibs fan site were calling for this a year ago.

BIG G

Last edited:
Premier Inn are not on Scotland's list of providers I read. Also the costs include food and a number of Covid tests.

It is still a shit show that my Government in Scotland is following Boris slavishly . It will come back to bite their arses. Believe me

BIG G

Did you listen to the the expert opinion from the Edinburgh University before and after the Briefing today talking about the situation in Australia, referring to the UK variant. Carry On.

View attachment 4436

BIG G
Nope. I don’t see what that has to do with anything though. It’s an English variant not a UK variant and somebody should be making that clear.
By the way, nice poster. Don’t know what the relevance is to the subject matter mind you

It is still a shit show that my Government in Scotland is following Boris slavishly . It will come back to bite their arses. Believe me

BIG G

I can see why the 4 nation approach would be ideal but at this stage the Scottish government should be giving an ultimatum. Protect England's borders or we'll protect Scotland's border with England.

It's potentially the lives and health of thousands of Scots at stake. Failing to do it once is understandable, not learning the lesson in the Summer was stupidity but at this stage, it's very clear and in the public domain what needs to happen, there's no excuse. Yet it's now mid-Feb and there are still thousands arriving daily into London with no plans to introduce quarantine procedures or stop them travelling to Scotland.

The thing that really irks me us it's the same shower of incompetents at Westminster who campaigned for years to "control are borders" who are unable to do it to save their own citizens.

The city where Covid is not going away any time soon

The city where Covid is not going away any time soon

I saw a report today showing an ambulance driver working in Tijuana. It was grim.

What mskes me sick is the way the bbc massage figures to make England look like they are doing better than any UK country.
they spin ages to suit an agenda that makes them look like everyone else is lagging behind.
scotlands over 80’s and care home stafff and pationets is far and away better than England.
But rather than relate that they spin it to suit. EG England has “offered” do many” but Scotlands figures are actual vaccines done.
I dont hate english people. I fuckin hate WM

What an utter penis of a man . Kind of stuff you'd hear an edl supporter say about the krauts and 2 world wars everyone hates them. Hate filled sad wee man I'd swap you for millions of good English people from Liverpool to Hackney. My kids are half English are they half hated around the world, what side do they pick the mungrals

What mskes me sick is the way the bbc massage figures to make England look like they are doing better than any UK country.
they spin ages to suit an agenda that makes them look like everyone else is lagging behind.
scotlands over 80’s and care home stafff and pationets is far and away better than England.
But rather than relate that they spin it to suit. EG England has “offered” do many” but Scotlands figures are actual vaccines done.
I dont hate english people. I fuckin hate WM
I don't think its the BBC. Sort of.

The UK government put their fake figures out and the media, quite rightly in my opinion, take and compare them with other countries and not just the devolved nations. Each outlet puts on its own slant.

I can understand that during campaigning all political parties are a bit economical with the truth shall we say but for the most part HM Governments have been fair when publishing numbers to the point of being anal about getting them as accurate as possible. That went for folk I knew in England as well. Of course there were some numbers just didn't get published! It seems those days of being honest and impartial have gone, in London anyway.

What annoys me is the BBC have set themselves up as Lord of the Fact Checker, a paragon of even handedness, but constantly allow government misinformation to be spouted across their whole platform. He who pays the piper and all that.

This thread has been viewed 319726 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back