Corona virus on its own thread.

SUPPORT THE SITE!
January Goal: £100.00
Donations so far: £40.00

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge
Reaction score
Any thoughts on the more controversial bits of what he's saying or are you just promoting it without any criticism because it suits what you'd like to be true?
What's controversial what he's saying?

Smurf

Reaction score
The number in ICU has been pretty static for 4 weeks now 30/40 ish . Are these numbers patients who have been in ICU long term or new ins and outs 🤷‍♂️ The numbers are def not rising and as omicron is the dominant variant it would follow that this variant isn’t so serious . You also have to factor in the numbers who’ve now had a booster, over 3mlllion , Scotland does seem to be winning the battle .
Can’t say the same for england who’ve had over 500 deaths in the ast 2 days 😩
England hasn't had 500 deaths in 2 days though. It's been less. The 300+ figure given on Wed had a lag in them.

joethehibby

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
England hasn't had 500 deaths in 2 days though. It's been less. The 300+ figure given on Wed had a lag in them.
True , but death rates on average are still higher per capita than up here

Smurf

Reaction score
True , but death rates on average are still higher per capita than up here
I'll be surprised if there's much movement on excess deaths for this period anywhere in the UK. Many don't appear to like it but we are NOT where we were with Covid-19 March-July 2020 or December 2020 - March 2021. Omicron isn't putting folk in hospital/ICU/death as before. Too much data from all over the world confirms this is a much much less deadly variant. And we have superb vaccinations and drugs available.

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
Reaction score
What's controversial what he's saying?

That answers my question.

I'll be surprised if there's much movement on excess deaths for this period anywhere in the UK. Many don't appear to like it but we are NOT where we were with Covid-19 March-July 2020 or December 2020 - March 2021. Omicron isn't putting folk in hospital/ICU/death as before. Too much data from all over the world confirms this is a much much less deadly variant. And we have superb vaccinations and drugs available.

I think what many people don't like is the lack of understanding that despite it being statistically less likely to have serious outcomes at an individual level, the rate of infection is so much greater that it's causing other problems.

It's pretty frustrating to hear people go on about it as if there's no problem, or that the restrictions and mitigations are what's causing the problem. Bedroom virologists from the University of Facebook spouting off as if they know everything about this variant when actually there's a lot that's still a lot that the proper scientists don't know.

Smurf

Reaction score
That answers my question.

I think what many people don't like is the lack of understanding that despite it being statistically less likely to have serious outcomes at an individual level, the rate of infection is so much greater that it's causing other problems.

It's pretty frustrating to hear people go on about it as if there's no problem, or that the restrictions and mitigations are what's causing the problem. Bedroom virologists from the University of Facebook spouting off as if they know everything about this variant when actually there's a lot that's still a lot that the proper scientists don't know.
Pretty ironic when you're challenging the opinions of a hugely respected guy in Professor Francois Balloux who is the director of the UCL Genetics Institute and a professor of computational biology at University College London.

joethehibby

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
Pretty ironic when you're challenging the opinions of a hugely respected guy in Professor Francois Balloux who is the director of the UCL Genetics Institute and a professor of computational biology at University College London.
Another guy who speaks total sense when I see him on tv is professer Steven Reicher out of st andrews university 👍👏

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Reaction score
And how many people in hospital with covid are actually there for something completely different.. or went in with something different and contracted covid while there

Smurf

Reaction score
Another guy who speaks total sense when I see him on tv is professer Steven Reicher out of st andrews university 👍👏
I enjoy listening to him too. Thing is though that most of the "experts" are going to discuss worst case scenario's (it's what the media outlets want them to talk about) let's be honest if everything was looked at through a prism of absolute safety first would we drink alcohol, drive a car, go on a flight, cross a road....

I absolutely *get* that it's not just about the individual but our impact on others. Our loved ones who perhaps have enderlying health issues. And of course workers in healthcare and key sectors such as transportation that enables a functioning society. I like others have tried to mitigate spread as much as possible. I rarely go out into inside places such as bars/restaurants/leisure. And I have totally scaled back visiting family such as parents to the point that it's made me feel uncomfortable. For example my folks a 5 minute walk from me I've not seen this year as I'm terrified of passing anything on. I think we are all trying to our bit where we can.

Smurf

Reaction score
And how many people in hospital with covid are actually there for something completely different.. or went in with something different and contracted covid while there
Absolutely this!

Weehibbydrew

Mussel-bound Radge
Reaction score
One problem is, I think, that everyone with Covid has to be treated in a secure unit with strict infection control, using more resources. It's not like contracting other complications.

Purple & Green

Radge McRadge
Admin
Reaction score
I think when the information is reviewed from the pandemic in a few years time, we will find lots of mistakes were made. The actions were probably made for the right reasons, based on the information that was available at the time, but they turned out to be the wrong actions.

That won't just be the politicians, that will be scientists too. And when scientists and politicians get together you have sufficiently murky waters to give everyone plausible deniability.

Edit: and of course, once politicians and scientists are aware of mistakes, they will do everything possible to cover their tracks, to stop the likes of us finding out about them. The Pandemic has made a lot of people very rich.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here