Corona virus on its own thread.

SUPPORT THE SITE!
January Goal: £100.00
Donations so far: £40.00

HaarlemShuffler

Coffee Shop Radge
Reaction score
Add to that many people now work from home, isolating doesn't affect their ability to do their job.
Not those who are most likely to get it (multiple times), the NHS workers. Which again directly pressurises hospital bed and ICU occupation?

Admin
Reaction score
Not those who are most likely to get it (multiple times), the NHS workers. Which again directly pressurises hospital bed and ICU occupation?

Don't disagree D, would extend that to many workers who face the public daily.

bigmanandy

Legendary Radge
Reaction score
Real tragedy being that feck all is getting done to increase our nhs to cope with this and future pandemics.
(bar supply chains)
Hospitals replaced for so called super hospitals certainly hasn't helped, a real failure down the years.

aggie

Justified Radge
Reaction score
Don't disagree D, would extend that to many workers who face the public daily.
I’m a former hospitality worker of many years standing. Still have many colleagues in the game. Their mainly young staff are horrified if they get a positive test: not because of the virus, but because even though there’s fuckall wrong with them, they’re expected to use annual leave to self-isolate, or even unpaid leave. Absolutely mental.

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Reaction score
I’m a former hospitality worker of many years standing. Still have many colleagues in the game. Their mainly young staff are horrified if they get a positive test: not because of the virus, but because even though there’s fuckall wrong with them, they’re expected to use annual leave to self-isolate, or even unpaid leave. Absolutely mental.
Crazy..and that only leads to people not testing or not admitting they have been in contact with anyone with the virus...got to admit I have never done the track and trace thing, just never trusted it after hearing stories of itcarxhing people on other side of a wall or fair bit apart in a shop. I especially did not want it when I was on probation period at work

Smurf

Auld Enuff Tae Know Better This Radge
Reaction score
We are all aware that we are all going to get this? And will likely do so several times most likely? Thankfully however thanks to the superb vaccinations and the Omicron variant being much much less deadly the overwhelming majority will be OK. I reckon Omicron is the end game.
This guy talks such reassuring sense. Well worth a follow if you're on Twitter.

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
Reaction score
We are all aware that we are all going to get this? And will likely do so several times most likely? Thankfully however thanks to the superb vaccinations and the Omicron variant being much much less deadly the overwhelming majority will be OK. I reckon Omicron is the end game.

I hope that Tory advisor is correct but I can't help thinking it makes sense to you (and others) because he's saying what you, understandably, want to hear.

He puts forward the idea that morbidity will decrease but that's widely disputed. As far as I can make out, it's a crap shoot. Next variant could be less or more severe, there's nothing really guiding it.

We all want to get back to normality but just hoping it's going away doesn't seem like a great solution. I hope I'm wrong as that seems to be the route we're heading down regardless.

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Reaction score
Read a report from USA that says their reported flu rates recently over a set period reduced from just under 130k to just over 1300. Deaths have also virtually disappeared from 22k last year. Other respiratory diseases are showing similar results Lots of questions to be asked later..is the flu virus being stopped because of face masks hand washing etc or is the spread of covid defeating it?

Will it come back stronger or weakened?

Either way covid deaths are probably responsible for most of those who may have died from the flu anyway. Interesting point is made that cleaning surfaces is not really making a difference with covid which is more air borne...whereas the flu does spread a lot through contact with surfaces so really has been a bit of a side effect of something that probably wouldnt have worked

Smurf

Reaction score
I hope that Tory advisor is correct but I can't help thinking it makes sense to you (and others) because he's saying what you, understandably, want to hear.

He puts forward the idea that morbidity will decrease but that's widely disputed. As far as I can make out, it's a crap shoot. Next variant could be less or more severe, there's nothing really guiding it.

We all want to get back to normality but just hoping it's going away doesn't seem like a great solution. I hope I'm wrong as that seems to be the route we're heading down regardless.
He's maybe advising the UK Gov but he's from the left politically. It shows how fucked up things have become that you call him a "Tory advisor". You could also say the "SNP advisor" professor Mark Woolhouse is on record saying folk being outside has absolutely no impact on Covid-19 numbers.

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Reaction score
That's outrageous. I suspect if the managers of those who are doing the expecting found out they'd get their arses severely kicked.

C4MMY

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
That's outrageous. I suspect if the managers of those who are doing the expecting found out they'd get their arses severely kicked.
How can they? The government hasn’t put any support in place for them. They will most likely get statutory sick pay which works out at around £19/£20 per day or they take holidays and receive full pay

joethehibby

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
Possibly wrong thread but after my isolation thought it was appropriate :-

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Reaction score
How can they? The government hasn’t put any support in place for them. They will most likely get statutory sick pay which works out at around £19/£20 per day or they take holidays and receive full pay
You're probably right. Hospitality bosses, some of them, seem to believe they are somehow above all this science stuff.

I don't know how it works but I understand there's a £500 grant for people affected.

Smurf

Reaction score
You're probably right. Hospitality bosses, some of them, seem to believe they are somehow above all this science stuff.

I don't know how it works but I understand there's a £500 grant for people affected.
No disrespect Jack but I say this to mates of mine working in the public sector that they've really not got a clue with what goes on in the private sector! Especially in SME's employees really have no option but to get on with it....

greencol

Skivin cooncil Radge
Reaction score
As of yesterday at approx. 2pm there were 43 people in ICU with Covid, and over 1200 in hospital with Covid.
No idea with which variant has them there.
18 deaths.

Smurf

Reaction score
As of yesterday at approx. 2pm there were 43 people in ICU with Covid, and over 1200 in hospital with Covid.
No idea with which variant has them there.
18 deaths.
And it would be good to know the data/breakdown on what variants are affecting folk. If for example Omicron was only 1 of the 43 in ICU the picture would look entirely different. And if unvaccinated was 42 of the 43. Etc, etc...

greencol

Skivin cooncil Radge
Reaction score
And it would be good to know the data/breakdown on what variants are affecting folk. If for example Omicron was only 1 of the 43 in ICU the picture would look entirely different. And if unvaccinated was 42 of the 43. Etc, etc...
It would indeed.
1200 people in hospital is a big number though.
1200 beds( ok , possibly short term, but..) that could be utilised for other illnesses/ operations.
Not to mention nurses etc looking after 1200 folk.

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
Reaction score
He's maybe advising the UK Gov but he's from the left politically. It shows how fucked up things have become that you call him a "Tory advisor". You could also say the "SNP advisor" professor Mark Woolhouse is on record saying folk being outside has absolutely no impact on Covid-19 numbers.

Any thoughts on the more controversial bits of what he's saying or are you just promoting it without any criticism because it suits what you'd like to be true?

bigmanandy

Legendary Radge
Reaction score

I think that would depend on what variant we have each year and each one would have to be assessed properly, sadly even if a vulnerable person catches a mild strain in years to come it still will cause issues on the NHS like the flu does each year.

joethehibby

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
The number in ICU has been pretty static for 4 weeks now 30/40 ish . Are these numbers patients who have been in ICU long term or new ins and outs 🤷‍♂️ The numbers are def not rising and as omicron is the dominant variant it would follow that this variant isn’t so serious . You also have to factor in the numbers who’ve now had a booster, over 3mlllion , Scotland does seem to be winning the battle .
Can’t say the same for england who’ve had over 500 deaths in the ast 2 days 😩

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here