Corona virus on its own thread.

SUPPORT THE SITE!
January Goal: £100.00
Donations so far: £40.00

aggie

Justified Radge
Reaction score
Leaving all the angst and argy-bargy aside -- I hope all bouncers and their respective familials have a happy and healthy Christmas.

Like, seriously --- 'moan the 2022, dinnae let us down!!

joethehibby

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
Ok 122, 000 cases in uk tday . That’ll be partly down to omicron , but a lot down to bungler boris’s handling of the pandemic 🤡
Removing all restrictions . e.g. no masks no social distancing whatsoever , go to your work ( no working from home ) fill the tubes with people . The man is a feckin nutjob 😡

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
This thread seems as good a place as any to put this - I know Christmas isn't always a time of jollity for everyone and no doubt even more so in a pandemic. Anyway, the wonderful Ross Wilson, fine man and Hibby that he is, puts it better than me. Beautiful song and sentiment.

greencol

Skivin cooncil Radge
Reaction score
Had word of a guy I know well who died on xmas eve after contracting Covid.
He was an anti vaxxer.

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Reaction score
A bad flu season kills around 30,000. Once we get beyond Covid as a pandemic do we implement restrictions to counter a bad flu season?
Was discussing this tonight..not the stats but the fact flu does kill people and does spread, we dont get on the backs of those who dont get the flu vax.

Deaths of course are far higher with covid of course but might not be with vaccines soon, hopefully then we can ease up

bigmanandy

Legendary Radge
Reaction score
Going by Leitch's comments we will be lucky to be back at large events by March.

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Reaction score
Going by Leitch's comments we will be lucky to be back at large events by March.
I think he was quoted out of context, at least the headline was.

Greenmachine

Reaction score
We are going to hit the buffers soon in this country with so many people self-isolating having either tested positive or been in contact with someone who is. The big worry is when the schools go back on Wednesday. So many staff missing. I think they are going to have to reduce the self-isolation times again very soon.

Last edited:

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
Reaction score
We are going to his the buffers soon in this country with so many people self-isolating having either tested positive or been in contact with someone who is. The big worry is when the schools go back on Wednesday. So many staff missing. I think they are going to have to reduce the self-isolation times again very soon.

Agreed but reducing isolation times doesn't seem like a great solution. We need to reduce the levels of transmission but reducing isolation times will do the opposite.

Putting in proper mitigation in schools should be the priority. Ventilation, masks, smaller bubbles etc. makes more sense but of course, it requires effort whereas reducing isolation times can be done with the stroke of a pen.

Davy

get off yer bum an sing radge
Reaction score
Daily death figures are pretty low..wonder how many there would be anyway. If the virus continues to become less potent/deadly, it does start to question isolating so many people.

bigmanandy

Legendary Radge
Reaction score
I think he was quoted out of context, at least the headline was.
Yeah he was but not sure how out of context he was taken, sounds to me restrictions will remain well after the 3 weeks quoted before Xmas.

bigmanandy

Legendary Radge
Reaction score
Boris sticking with plan B, have to learn to live with the virus.

aggie

Justified Radge
Reaction score
We need to reduce the levels of transmission
Do we? Or, indeed, can we? If so, why? (Given the latest variant's seemingly benign nature?)

Or, alternatively, is this not the "herd immunity moment", as it were, which has been the inevitable endgame since day one? It's been two years ---- at what point do we begin to develop forward-looking strategies which accept it's perennial presence? Or do we continue to live week--to-week, plan lives, businesses, families, travel, literally everything under a week--to--week paradigm?

Jack

Reaction score
Do we? Or, indeed, can we? If so, why? (Given the latest variant's seemingly benign nature?)

Or, alternatively, is this not the "herd immunity moment", as it were, which has been the inevitable endgame since day one? It's been two years ---- at what point do we begin to develop forward-looking strategies which accept it's perennial presence? Or do we continue to live week--to-week, plan lives, businesses, families, travel, literally everything under a week--to--week paradigm?
I think we need to take care when there's 16,000+ new cases a day.

aggie

Justified Radge
Reaction score
I think we need to take care when there's 16,000+ new cases a day.
Case numbers in absolute terms are irrelevant, Jack. They're meaningless -- nothing but a headline.

What matters is relative severity; i.e. hospitalisations and deaths per million.

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
Reaction score
My father in law was admitted to hospital with kidney issues on 30 December. To the best of my knowledge he still hasn't had any actual treatment for the issue because it took an age to get him scheduled in for the tests and scan he needed. Then another age for them to be processed. Then they had to be sent to ERI because there's no-one available at St Johns to interpret the results (he waited three days over the weekend without even seeing a doctor because they're so stretched).

In the meantime he's managed to contract Covid, which isn't great as he's immunosuppressed. They've moved him into a room on his own but they evidently need that room as they're planning to discharge him. So now my brother in law needs to pick up his Covid infected dad and drive him home.

And then to cap it all, due to him being immunosuppressed, he needs to get a Covid antiviral treatment. But they don't have it at St Johns at the moment so they're going to discharge him anyway and he's to go back to receive it as an outpatient. So three car journeys in total with a covid positive person who could deteriorate at any moment because he's not had the treatment he needs.

This is the reality of 'just living with it' in one tiny anecdote from one tiny corner of the NHS. Is it really that much to ask that we try to keep transmission under some degree of control for a few weeks so that the poor people in the NHS who are having to try to provide care in these circumstances get a bit of breathing space?

aggie

Justified Radge
Reaction score
My father in law was admitted to hospital with kidney issues on 30 December. To the best of my knowledge he still hasn't had any actual treatment for the issue because it took an age to get him scheduled in for the tests and scan he needed. Then another age for them to be processed. Then they had to be sent to ERI because there's no-one available at St Johns to interpret the results (he waited three days over the weekend without even seeing a doctor because they're so stretched).

In the meantime he's managed to contract Covid, which isn't great as he's immunosuppressed. They've moved him into a room on his own but they evidently need that room as they're planning to discharge him. So now my brother in law needs to pick up his Covid infected dad and drive him home.

And then to cap it all, due to him being immunosuppressed, he needs to get a Covid antiviral treatment. But they don't have it at St Johns at the moment so they're going to discharge him anyway and he's to go back to receive it as an outpatient. So three car journeys in total with a covid positive person who could deteriorate at any moment because he's not had the treatment he needs.

This is the reality of 'just living with it' in one tiny anecdote from one tiny corner of the NHS. Is it really that much to ask that we try to keep transmission under some degree of control for a few weeks so that the poor people in the NHS who are having to try to provide care in these circumstances get a bit of breathing space?
"Official figures reveal that a single patient has required intensive care from the Omicron variant in Scotland.

The figures also reveal that less than 100 individuals have required hospital treatment in the five weeks since Omicron surfaced.

Official figures show that one in 40 people in Scotland were estimated to have had Covid in the past week, with around 80 percent of new cases identified as the Omicron variant, according to Nicola Sturgeon.

The number of people in hospital who have Covid has almost doubled in the last two weeks to 859 but it is not yet known how many tested positive while in hospital for other issues."

So from the government's own figures, we can glean:
  1. With 80% of new cases, Omicron is undeniably the variant in play.
  2. 1 in 40 people have had Covid in the last week -- roughly, 125,000 people.
  3. So that's roughly 100,000 cases of Omicron contraction in the last week.
  4. As of 3rd Jan, a single patient has required intensive care as a result of Omicron. One. Less that 100 have required hospital treatment at all as a result of Omicron. That's total, for the last five weeks since the emergence of the variant to date.
Your father-in-law obviously has my every sympathy, Rocky, but let's say you're in the public policy hotseat, with responsibility for the lives of 5,000,000-odd people -- what are you thinking?

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here