Corona virus on its own thread.

SUPPORT THE SITE!
November Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £30.00

Doc Shrink

Retired Radge
I'm off to chase the sun in a few days too.
I paid a small fortune for a couple of PCR test kits a year ago, which were never used as the pandemic worsened.
Anyone know if I can just use these when I get back?
Or will I still have to book the LFTs?

It was great when we had our own travel agent who knew all the answers....

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
I paid a small fortune for a couple of PCR test kits a year ago, which were never used as the pandemic worsened.

His replacement does a good job Doc.

southfieldhibby

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge

Now a civilian just about to head off to Spain too, I had to ask my replacement for advice..

HenryLB

Donator
I think you should read the post again. The poster wasn't saying that Cheltenham races caused the rise. And using the most recent data available to him / her can hardly be called cherry picking. What's the source for your 21 per 100k? You certainly can't claim that cases declined after the meeting as the data for the first day of the meeting won't even be finalised till tomorrow. Unless you're cherry picking incomplete data?

I'm aware they weren't saying that. They claimed that the caseload rose hugely "on the same day" the racecourse reopened.

This is wrong but as I said they could make a similar argument by saying cases rose the week before. They didn't because it would lessen the impact of their critique so it's fair to say they sacrificed accuracy for impact. Hardly heinous.

The problem is that they are playing to the peanut gallery by saying that anyone in possession of this information is making a grave mistake by allowing racing to go ahead and implying that a competent and benign authority would obviously stop it. But the essential link they claim is obvious to anyone with compassion or intelligence is in fact not there. So I'm saying that, yes, they are misusing data for political ends.

HenryLB

Donator
I see cases for 25th have been revised upwards by 550% from 24 to 156 since you posted that. Still a couple of days till they're considered finalised but I don't expect they'll move too much more.

And to be clear I'm not attributing anything to the race meeting, I never was. Just pointing out fairly simple errors. Have to be careful of social media getting gummed up with nonsense.

At 159 now so way down from the peak.

HenryLB

Donator
One thing I’ve noticed is Italy and Spain deaths are way below those in the UK at the moment
Yep. I expect due to later vaccination. Italy has still had slightly more in total per capita and Spain slightly fewer than the UK.

Another thing that's not been touched on much is that with flu back in action and a seasonal buildup of hospitalisations the roughly 20-40% of people hospitalised 'with covid' who caught it while in hospital is going to be an ever bigger real number.

joethehibby

Well-Known Radge
Yep. I expect due to later vaccination. Italy has still had slightly more in total per capita and Spain slightly fewer than the UK.

Another thing that's not been touched on much is that with flu back in action and a seasonal buildup of hospitalisations the roughly 20-40% of people hospitalised 'with covid' who caught it while in hospital is going to be an ever bigger real number.
Would being later with the vaccination programme not mean they would have higher daily deaths than the uk 🤔

Hibee Kev

Legendary Radge
Flying back from Qatar tomorrow. Got a pre-flight PCR done (think I could’ve got away with a lateral flow) for £30 and have had to purchase a day 2 lateral flow for return to Scotland for £15 which is much better than previous.

@Doc Shrink i think you need to buy it off a list of NHS Scotland-approved sellers as only they will give you the code you need to enter on your passenger locator form which you also need to complete before flying home.

It’s all a bit of a minefield as the landscape changes weekly. For example I flew to Oz in March and got away with an NHS PCR test to board the flight, in April I got bumped off another flight as the airlines were no longer accepting NHS test results and needed to be private 🤔

Admin
Flying back from Qatar tomorrow. Got a pre-flight PCR done (think I could’ve got away with a lateral flow) for £30 and have had to purchase a day 2 lateral flow for return to Scotland for £15 which is much better than previous.

@Doc Shrink i think you need to buy it off a list of NHS Scotland-approved sellers as only they will give you the code you need to enter on your passenger locator form which you also need to complete before flying home.

It’s all a bit of a minefield as the landscape changes weekly. For example I flew to Oz in March and got away with an NHS PCR test to board the flight, in April I got bumped off another flight as the airlines were no longer accepting NHS test results and needed to be private 🤔

Thing is the passenger locator form is a UK Gov one so any code from any provider works.

Hibee Kev

Legendary Radge
Now you have me panicking! Did you try one not off the list?
No, but I entered the wrong code and it bumped me, so it must be cross-referencing the codes against some list was my thinking? Reckon you might be ok.

If it doesn’t accept it the good thing is the approved test kits are only about15 quid now. Coming back from oz the start of April the kit cost me (my work) 200 bucks!

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here