Corona virus on its own thread.

SUPPORT THE SITE!
Sept Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £51.37

bigmanandy

Legendary Radge
A few scientists slowly coming out and saying Johnson's approach is wrong, opening up fully will likely cause a vaccine resistant variant.

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
I agree and that’s the problem, we should be seeking to find out what positives are out there. I don’t know whether they have the delta variant, but again it’s because there’s not enough analysis out there.

The accuracy of the case counters is debatable too, as I don’t believe all countries are testing (and reporting) to same volume we are.

What makes you think there's no analysis? I can see plenty reported by credible sources on social media.

The World Health Organisation has been scathing today too: WHO warns of ‘epidemiological stupidity’ of early Covid reopening

Zab

Admin
What makes you think there's no analysis? I can see plenty reported by credible sources on social media.

The World Health Organisation has been scathing today too: WHO warns of ‘epidemiological stupidity’ of early Covid reopening

I didn’t say none, I said not enough. That article only skims over what’s going on else where, I don’t consider stating simple facts as analysis. Maybe that’s more an inditement of the calibre of journalism these days, but I’d expect to hear more from the government about how their plans are affected by taking a view on what’s happening elsewhere.

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
I didn’t say none, I said not enough. That article only skims over what’s going on else where, I don’t consider stating simple facts as analysis. Maybe that’s more an inditement of the calibre of journalism these days, but I’d expect to hear more from the government about how their plans are affected by taking a view on what’s happening elsewhere.

Aye, sorry you're talking about analysis in the media. I'd agree with you there, there's very little that's not basic and politically motivated. I've given up on the MSM.

Theres plenty of analysis going on though and not much of the credible stuff favouring mass infecting of populations.

Reactions: Zab
It’s not possible to vaccinate everyone so we can’t wait for that to happen or we’ll be waiting forever, therefore herd immunity has to come in to play at some point.

BIG G

Zab

Admin

BIG G

Whether now’s the right time to be completely lifting restrictions is debatable. I’m not saying it has to be to now, but it has to happen at some point. It’s impossible to completely vaccinate the entire population, so that can’t be the cut off.

Jack

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Whether now’s the right time to be completely lifting restrictions is debatable. I’m not saying it has to be to now, but it has to happen at some point. It’s impossible to completely vaccinate the entire population, so that can’t be the cut off.
For me there's two things at play here. There's the possibility of a vaccine resistant strain of the virus, as is being discussed.

But there's also the effects of long covid. We don't know how that will affect folk as we move on. It seems most of those that get it are OK after 6 or so weeks. But even small percentages of folk affected after a year or more is huge numbers.

Opening up now, while the younger people have still to get immunity through the vaccine, is leaving those with the longest to live with long covid exposed.

As the Witty professor said ...
Fundamentally the two ways to prevent long Covid in my view are to keep Covid rates right down and make sure everyone is vaccinated so they get very mild disease and I think we really just need to push hell for leather for those two.

We appear to have broken the link between cases and hospitalisations/deaths but sadly we'll be establishing a link between cases in the under 30s and long covid.

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
For me there's two things at play here. There's the possibility of a vaccine resistant strain of the virus, as is being discussed.

But there's also the effects of long covid. We don't know how that will affect folk as we move on. It seems most of those that get it are OK after 6 or so weeks. But even small percentages of folk affected after a year or more is huge numbers.

Opening up now, while the younger people have still to get immunity through the vaccine, is leaving those with the longest to live with long covid exposed.

As the Witty professor said ...
Fundamentally the two ways to prevent long Covid in my view are to keep Covid rates right down and make sure everyone is vaccinated so they get very mild disease and I think we really just need to push hell for leather for those two.

We appear to have broken the link between cases and hospitalisations/deaths but sadly we'll be establishing a link between cases in the under 30s and long covid.
The UK government seems to have broken the link between the average population and common sense.

Greenmachine

I think Scotland's full re-opening day is going to be put back a few weeks.
Some hospitals toiling already with capacity, and Scotland has seen huge rises in cases.

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
I think Scotland's full re-opening day is going to be put back a few weeks.
Some hospitals toiling already with capacity, and Scotland has seen huge rises in cases.
Aye, anecdotally I know more people than ever with the disease and my own children are self isolating.

I suspect the Scottish Government are holding their tongues over what's happening in England as they watch it unfold. I suspect they are considering a similar (but presumably better communicated, justified and organised) approach once things are under control.

hibadelic

Radge-a-Casblanca
Pushback on the Tories plans does seem to be making headlines:

I suspect most of England is not paying much attention at the moment though.

Zab

Admin

Good timing by the government on that front. They’re nothing if not sly.

Jack

Everybody, including WHO, have said its bonkers. NS had a less than disguised pop at the Westminster fools, more than anything I've seen in the past albeit in parliamentary code.

We'll all suffer in one way or another.

Edit: The world used to laugh at Trump, the USA, Boris and us. They're only laughing at Boris and us now.

The Eton establishment must be squirming with embarrassment.

Last edited:

Rocky

Well-Known Radge
Just got my second AZ at the Pyramids and it was deid up there. The lady doing my jag said they had loads of staff in but lots of folk not turning up for appointments. Although she also said that there had been a big queue at the vaccine bus at the Centre in Livingston so maybe folk are just going to drop ins instead of keeping scheduled appointments.

bigmanandy

Legendary Radge
In a letter published in The Lancet, 122 British scientists said the exponential growth of the virus "will likely continue until millions more are infected, leaving hundreds of thousands with long-term illness and disability".

They also said they are concerned the strategy "provides fertile ground for the emergence of vaccine-resistant variants".

Doc Shrink

Retired Radge
To be fair the behaviour of plenty would suggest otherwise!
Social distancing is disappearing quickly, and mask wearing decreasing. A lot of those who do wear masks in the shopping centres here wear them in the ‘nose out’ position.
For a significant number the virus IS over.

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here