• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Club Captain Next Season?

Smurf

Private Member
Reaction score
I've always thought Paul Hanlon is an underrated player. I've never bought into this 'Shanlon' stuff that many have said.

However, I don't think he's the player he once was. I don't think he's finished and I'm not saying he's not got anything to offer. However, I don't think he's good enough now to be an automatic starter, for where we want to be and where we should be.

I have never been convinced by him as captain and I've often wondered if this responsibility has hindered his game? There's two instances this season where I admit he's really pissed me off. One off the field and the other on it.

Off the field it was the live interview with our captain from the team hotel the night before the semi-final v the Gunts. Asked what advice he'd give any young player for the game he said to "...treat it like any other game...". My argument would be that that lot don't treat like this as "any other game" hence why they've got something over us at times....

On the field I think his performance as St Johnstone took their missed penalty told us a lot. The St Johnstone player who struck the rebound from the initial Macey save was behind Hanlon when the penalty kick was taken. The St Johnstone player had more anticipation and determination for a possible follow up than Paul Hanlon. Pretty poor for a captain and centre back. Where's his desire??!!

The obvious guy to go and buy as a ready made replacement as captain is Jason Kerr. Sadly I just can't see us affording him unless they're prepared to accept cash + players.

Last edited:
Did Kerr not pledge himself to St Johnstone or something?

I'm sure he said he wanted to play in Europe with them.
I think that was based around winning the cup and getting it til Christmas though, seem to think that's how I read it before.

But with a final against Hibs, the team you support and the team with the strong links to making a move just around the corner.

You have to come out and say that.

I've always thought Paul Hanlon is an underrated player. I've never bought into this 'Shanlon' stuff that many have said.

However, I don't think he's the player he once was. I don't think he's finished and I'm not saying he's not got anything to offer. However, I don't think he's good enough now to be an automatic starter, for where we want to be and where we should be.

I have never been convinced by him as captain and I've often wondered if this responsibility has hindered his game? There's two instances this season where I admit he's really pissed me off. One off the field and the other on it.

Off the field it was the live interview with our captain from the team hotel the night before the semi-final v the Gunts. Asked what advice he'd give any young player for the game he said to "...treat it like any other game...". My argument would be that that lot don't treat like this as "any other game" hence why they've got something over us at times....

On the field I think his performance as St Johnstone took their missed penalty told us a lot. The St Johnstone player who struck the rebound from the initial Macey save was behind Hanlon when the penalty kick was taken. The St Johnstone player had more anticipation and determination for a possible follow up than Paul Hanlon. Pretty poor for a captain and centre back. Where's his desire??!!

The obvious guy to go and buy as a ready made replacement as captain is Jason Kerr. Sadly I just can't see us affording him unless they're prepared to accept cash + playe
He should've been binned with the rest of the dross that got us relegated under Butcher being perfectly honest..

In his time at hibs , many players, managers have came and went however he has contributed to some of the most eye bleeding football a lot of us have ever witnessed...
The record during his time at Hibs is filled the majority of the time by failure. Look at his cup final records, Malmo , relegation , failure to make the play off final in two of those championship seasons and numerous bottle jobs on his watch.......

Hanlon is a weak captian , his press conference pre derby semi final highlighted this.. he has no leadership skills , clearly fails to inspire others and is a massive part of how poor we have been over the years...

All week the media did their usual linking lot's of players leaving us.... I think last week Boyle, Nesbit, Doig, Hallberg & Porteous were all in the media being linked with moves. And in some instances these players gave comment. Not one said "I am going nowhere".

The St Johnstone captain said what no Hibs player said. Maybe he wasn't being totally honest but it was the week of the Scottish Cup final. He was focussed.

Huge. Difference.

And didn't it tell.

All week the media did their usual linking lot's of players leaving us.... I think last week Boyle, Nesbit, Doig, Hallberg & Porteous were all in the media being linked with moves. And in some instances these players gave comment. Not one said "I am going nowhere".

The St Johnstone captain said what no Hibs player said. Maybe he wasn't being totally honest but it was the week of the Scottish Cup final. He was focussed.

Huge. Difference.

And didn't it tell.

That is a couple of giant steps there.

That is a couple of giant steps there.
In what way?

Boyle came out said he is happy where he is. Kerr was focussed, Hibs players were not, aye right. Links to rumours in the press meant Saints players won the cup because they spoke up. Get over it mate, we lost.

Boyle came out said he is happy where he is. Kerr was focussed, Hibs players were not, aye right. Links to rumours in the press meant Saints players won the cup because they spoke up. Get over it mate, we lost

I know what I'd prefer a Hibs player to say in the media approaching a cup final. And let's not forget Boyle has previous on telly before the Gunts semi-final....

“I’d just have to see what the opportunity was. I have never been in that position before but I’m sure if it was brought to my attention then it’s something I would weigh up with family and the club then take it from there."
Martin Boyle

“I’ve got another year left on my contract but I’m definitely open to talks. My future is with St Johnstone and I really want to play European football with the club."
Jason Kerr

I know what I'd prefer a Hibs player to say in the media approaching a cup final. And let's not forget Boyle has previous on telly before the Gunts semi-final....

“I’d just have to see what the opportunity was. I have never been in that position before but I’m sure if it was brought to my attention then it’s something I would weigh up with family and the club then take it from there."
Martin Boyle

“I’ve got another year left on my contract but I’m definitely open to talks. My future is with St Johnstone and I really want to play European football with the club."
Jason Kerr

So one is about a semi final from last year, one about this seasons final. As I said, get over it, we got beat.

So one is about a semi final from last year, one about this seasons final. As I said, get over it, we got beat.

Both quotes are from last week.

Both quotes are from last week.
It’s not all that Boyle said is it?

The obvious guy to go and buy as a ready made replacement as captain is Jason Kerr. Sadly I just can't see us affording him unless they're prepared to accept cash + players.
I'd make Gogic captain. He at least gets wired in and I'm sure if he shouted at you, you'd listen.

It’s not all that Boyle said is it?

No. However, I'm more concerned that he went AWOL on Saturday and I hope he leaves.

No. However, I'm more concerned that he went AWOL on Saturday and I hope he leaves.

I hope stays, on his day he is unplayable.

I'd make Gogic captain. He at least gets wired in and I'm sure if he shouted at you, you'd listen.

If he was a true captain though we'd already be seeing that naturally.

I think if we're replacing Paul as vice captain, because Gray is still our captain, or Gray himself as his playing time is gone, then we should do so from outwith the club.

Bring in someone with the intentions of making them a leader in the team.

I hope stays, on his day he is unplayable.

I think with other players in the team to take the pressure off him he'll get some proper form going.
Easy to double up on the only creative threat.

If he was a true captain though we'd already be seeing that naturally.

I think if we're replacing Paul as vice captain, because Gray is still our captain, or Gray himself as his playing time is gone, then we should do so from outwith the club.

Bring in someone with the intentions of making them a leader in the team.
Fair point Hammi. It might be that he feels that he would be stepping on Hanlon's toes. Give him a try for a while and see how he goes would be my option.

Fair point Hammi. It might be that he feels that he would be stepping on Hanlon's toes. Give him a try for a while and see how he goes would be my option.

I don't think Gogic is a guaranteed starter and that's the issue @Dub

Its gonna be Magennis.

In all respect , if Hanlon doesn't cant be professional and doesn't like the manager's decision then he shouldn't be in the team.. At the end of the say , the team comes first and not the feelings of a disgruntled player.....

Where exactly "should Hibs be"?

In all respect , if Hanlon doesn't cant be professional and doesn't like the manager's decision then he shouldn't be in the team.. At the end of the say , the team comes first and not the feelings of a disgruntled player.....

That isn't what he said i don't think.

I dont think that should matter, someone ahead of him on the park taking control of that area should free him up to focus on his own area of the park.
Mark Milligan took over imo, made himself a leader in our midfield, didn't upset or put anyone off at the time.

My worry with giving someone the armband for a while is that you could change your captain 2 or 3 times in a year.
Your leader should be your leader, if you're not automatically the leader, you shouldn't be given the armband from someone as established.

We could play with no captain as long as we had leaders
The armband is more for the referees benefit than the team imo.

I don't think Gogic is a guaranteed starter and that's the issue @Dub
If he isn't then someone needs shot.

Club Captain is Sir David.

Presumably rewarded for charitable work.
:gigglle:

If he isn't then someone needs shot.

He's not been a given in games we're expecting to have most possession.

A manager can't make anybody a club captain purely by choice.A captain becomes obvious in training and games by pushing and cajoling team mates and earning their respect or being feared by them! Also got to be decent player himself to get that!

If he is staying, give the armband to Martin Boyle.

Why?

He seems popular with the squad, he has shown loyalty to the club, he is arguably or most effective player and it might settle him down, ( nae mare diving, nae transfer either).

The captain role is important but let’s not forget the 10 other players on the park need to take responsibility for their own actions and performance.

I was lucky to play against Neil Orr a few times at the end of his playing days, I cant recall him screaming once at his team but he ran the show and you could tell all his team mates listened to him. The Roy Keane school of management doesn’t work all the time or indeed, is required.

We don’t have an obvious captain, who is pretty much a stick on to start every week. That is a concern, has been for a couple of years.
But on a side note , regarding PH , I have always felt we have played him out of his natural position , his whole career. He is quite a skilful , athletic player . He has a range of passing, but has always fell short on the aggression a CH needs.
A left sided midfielder for me has always been his true calling.
We need to sign a captain, but nobody in our price range springs to mind , that my limited knowledge tells me.
Is Steven Fletcher still up for a season?

Sign Sparky and give him the armband. At least you know the lad will burst a gut for us and let those around him know when they are off there game.

The very fact that there's so much discussion and disagreement here on the subject tells me we have a real problem.

It seems to me that the team has lacked leadership on the field throughout this season. David Gray hasn't been playing regularly, and Paul Hanlon hasn't been playing consistently well. Even if he were, he wouldn't be my choice, frankly.

I don't know who I'd choose; is there anyone who's been consistently sure of playing throughout the season?

FWIW, I'd have appointed Rocky as captain and played him every game he was fit. I do not like this practice of playing one goalkeeper in the League and another in the Cups. Play the best keeper every game. Rocky did make a difference to the defence. IMO he should have played in both the LC semi and the Cup Final.

FWIW, I'd have appointed Rocky as captain and played him every game he was fit. I do not like this practice of playing one goalkeeper in the League and another in the Cups. Play the best keeper every game. Rocky did make a difference to the defence. IMO he should have played in both the LC semi and the Cup Final.
I agree with this regarding Captaincy and think that making Matt Macey captain would be a good move.

BIG G

Probably an odd and I guess not too popular a choice right now but if he's still here next season I'd give Porteous a bash at being Captain.
It might actually be the making of him, having responsibility, having to grow up and grow into a leader.

Probably an odd and I guess not too popular a choice right now but if he's still here next season I'd give Porteous a bash at being Captain.
It might actually be the making of him, having responsibility, having to grow up and grow into a leader.

I'd be selling him

Rocky did make a difference to the defence. IMO he should have played in both the LC semi and the Cup Final.
Rocky did play in the LC semi.

Rocky did play in the LC semi.
Ok, sorry. My memory's playing tricks right now. It's either cabin fever or Alzheimer's. But the principle remains - unnecessary changes.

If Matt Macey is first choice next season and playing well, IMO he should be playing in all our major games. That includes any semis or finals we might get to. I don't know how or where the practice of having two keepers, one for the League and one for Cups, started, but I don't think it makes sense. Going back to when we had Andy Goram, Jim Leighton or John Burridge on our books, what possible sense would there be in dropping them to play the reserve apart from injury or giving the second-choice games to keep him sharp?

I would still maintain that Rocky was far and away the best choice for team captain last season, given that Darren MacGregor wasn't playing.

If it helps, Maxwell played in the League Cup semi season 19-20. Laidlaw played in the semi of 18-19. Both ahead of Rocky. Both played badly. Unlike Macey, who was good.

Ok, sorry. My memory's playing tricks right now. It's either cabin fever or Alzheimer's. But the principle remains - unnecessary changes.

If Matt Macey is first choice next season and playing well, IMO he should be playing in all our major games. That includes any semis or finals we might get to. I don't know how or where the practice of having two keepers, one for the League and one for Cups, started, but I don't think it makes sense. Going back to when we had Andy Goram, Jim Leighton or John Burridge on our books, what possible sense would there be in dropping them to play the reserve apart from injury or giving the second-choice games to keep him sharp?

I would still maintain that Rocky was far and away the best choice for team captain last season, given that Darren MacGregor wasn't playing.
On Rocky: Schmeichel - whatever generation - I would have as a captain. I just don't think Rocky's vocal or dominant enough - and that's just at corners not being captain the whole game.

Like wooden legs - 'pinions eh :)

I'd be selling him
I’d do same
has value now don’t think he will in future.

I’d do same
has value now don’t think he will in future.

Ryan Porteous has improved massively this season. His defensive attributes, his passing and yes his concentration. He still has the odd wee mistake in him but so has any player. He's hugely underrated by many in our support when a year or so ago he was possibly overrated. I love his desire and as he showed with The Rangers his "no fucks given" mentality. Sadly I do think that this wasn't so apparent towards the end of the season and I hope it isn't being coached out of his game.

This thread has been viewed 3298 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back