• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Church turns down our contract

NW

Private Member
Reaction score
BBC reporting he said the deal was not sufficient to move family up

Even more reason not to trust either the ability to identify decent players or the ability to get the deals done.

Probably never offered him as much as he wanted due to the fact he wouldn't be first choice striker therefore lower on the wage bill!

Good. He's shite.

Doesn't mean our offer wasn't value.

I reckon he wanted a sizeable up front payment to bring them up.

Interesting article...from around 2015...of what wages are in the English leagues.

In League 1, a top player will earn up to £10,000 whereas in League 2 this is halved to £5,000 a week. Bear in mind this is talking about the best players in that divison so an average League 2 player would be expected to make between £1,000-2,000 a week.

So likely most div 1 players are on at least 2k a week. If they live down south there might be less incentive to travel north.

Doesn't mean our offer wasn't value.

I reckon he wanted a sizeable up front payment to bring them up.
He would've known what we'd be likely offering at the start,i wonder if it was app/goal based bonuses or the signing on fee like you suggest that put him off.

Quite happy with this our problem last year was lack of goals a problem I don't think he would have solved.

His loss.

This is the big problem trying to get English/Welsh based players to move up here who are in their late 20's or older. The offer has to be substantial for them to even contemplate moving their family up here for 2 or 3 years. With Church being an English based Welsh internationalist his wage demands would have been considerable. The thing I can never understand with these things is why we take players on trial, have them train with us for a week or so at East Mains, then find out all of a sudden we can't match their wage demands. Seems a colossal waste of time on everybody's part. Why not find out what his wage demands would be before inviting him up to train with us ?

The thing I can never understand with these things is why we take players on trial, have them train with us for a week or so at East Mains, then find out all of a sudden we can't match their wage demands. Seems a colossal waste of time on everybody's part. Why not find out what his wage demands would be before inviting him up to train with us ?

Maybe hoping that they'll be impressed with the city, training facility, stadium and suchlike and get on well with the rest of the boys making them more amenable to any offer we make.

Church will be lucky to get a much better wage elsewhere. A few in League one might show interest and could get to around the £3k mark and be a lot closer to home.

Delighted how this worked out. A waste of time and expenses as with Pennant.

. A waste of time and expenses as with Pennant.

Pennant at least funded his training stint with us himself.

Pennant at least funded his training stint with us himself.

Agreed. I don’t see that hibs are to blame for being next to England where I suspect conference sides can top our wages.

I also seem to remember nick cusack left Motherwell because his wife earned more than him down south....that’s where Scottish football is at.

We can offer exposure, a route to England, but not wads of cash. It is what it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed. I don’t see that hibs are to blame for being next to England where I suspect conference sides can top our wages.

Maybe the odd exceptional case but we are more on a par with league one clubs down there. We can also offer 15k plus crowds at home, games at Parkhead and Ibrox and life in a decent city that have attracted the likes of Fontaine, Holt and Bartley in recent seasons from league one or above, all of whom would speak well of their time at Hibs. It's not a big ask to attract a decent standard of player in my view. Other clubs have unearthed some gems on a lot less wages which is where a good scouting team, managerial contacts etc all help.

If he was on trial here then I would imagine there wasn't many offers of trials or contracts on the table elsewhere. I would also imagine that Hibs have made him an offer based on what they thought he was worth to the club - if that offer wasn't enough for Church to uproot and move his family here then he's made a sensible choice for him and his family.

I took this to mean the problem was with the length of the contract rather than the wages.
No other reason than that was how it read to me. :dunno:

Church was never offered a contract.

Church was never offered a contract.

That's what I'm hearing as well Billiam :rascal: Of course some folk will be blaming Petrie :077:

This thread has been viewed 1167 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back