Career Change?

aggie

Justified Radge
While the tragic circumstances which were the catalyst for your journey will never change Ian, your can console yourself in a small way that her beautiful legacy has a wonderful, inspirational Dad.
Stick in at the job you Capitalist Hyena you. Your big Communist pal.

BIG G
I'm bringing down capitalism from within its very demon heart, Gordon!

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
My granny's name, a formidable woman and 2nd-generation immigrant Polish Jew, who still lives by herself on McDonald Road at the grand old age of nearly 99. A role model for my lass if ever there was on :)
My granny's name, a formidable woman and 2nd-generation immigrant Polish Jew, who still lives by herself on McDonald Road at the grand old age of nearly 99. A role model for my lass if ever there was on :)
Brilliant!

Gareth

Well-Known Radge
Quite the contrary, G, I am in fact a great admirer of Gramsci's work, and indeed much "leftist" thought in general. I consider that a very great compliment, the idea of the 'organic intellectual' is a great and noble aspiration – thank you.
And I agree wholeheartedly with Reid's sentiments – it is a social crime. But I also think that the solution cannot simply come from social and/or political movements or machinations - in fact, if people abdicate their individual responsibility, then such movements will necessarily be ultimately futile.
Jacques Rancière wrote that we must 'learn how to be equal men in an unequal society. That is what being emancipated means.' He also said that 'equality is not given, nor is it claimed; it is practiced, it is verified', and I agree with him. Oppression and injustice exists, but that doesn't mean we have teach people (even tacitly) that they are preordained victims, of circumstance or in general.
And that doesn't mean I'm a 'deserving poor' Tory, or indeed that I swallow any 'American Dream' nonsense - I agree with George Carlin on that point: 'it's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it'. I mean it more in the sense of a 'philosophical responsibility' to oneself, almost. Aaaaaanyway!
Big day tomorrow, still lots to do!
(PS online-only submissions, so no lolly at the school office, and no post-submission shindig in the pub - I feel robbed! Damn this pandemic.)
Now and here is not the time for that debate, though I see only marginal disagreements.
The day of my viva i was in the pub with my dad, partner and son number 1 who was just a few months old, so wasn't quite the wild night out I might have imagined. You can make it good regardless, though I know some people who felt bit deflated due to the lack of euphoria
Anyway, enjoy it mate

What comes to pass does so not so much because a few people want it to happen, as because the mass of citizens abdicate their responsibility and let things be.
Antonio Gramsci

paigntonhibby

Well-Known Radge
I've been Royal Navy, north sea oil rigs, factories , building sites , british rail, scaffy, dustman doorman and a long distance lorry driver. Most
I've enjoyed some not so much. Seen a lot of the world and the only regret I've got is leaving the Navy when I did.Overall a happy and varied life

I was never academic, classrooms bored me, but hats off to you guys who've gone back into education in later life.
There's nothing worse than passing an opportunity by then thinking " what if".
Good luck to everybody changing direction.

aggie

Justified Radge
Now and here is not the time for that debate, though I see only marginal disagreements.
The day of my viva i was in the pub with my dad, partner and son number 1 who was just a few months old, so wasn't quite the wild night out I might have imagined. You can make it good regardless, though I know some people who felt bit deflated due to the lack of euphoria
Anyway, enjoy it mate

What comes to pass does so not so much because a few people want it to happen, as because the mass of citizens abdicate their responsibility and let things be.
Antonio Gramsci
A few good men...

And yes, not the time or place, but I am sure our disagreements will indeed prove marginal over a beer ;)

Power

Legendary Radge
Fairly sure I clocked this thread a few years ago - it’s a belter (vive le Bounce. Great bump).
Great advice from Aggs and I totally agree with Mark’s call out about this being a common thought/feeling/urge at some point or other.

I’m halfway through my change but it’s some effort at the start to get up and running. For 17 years I worked in Financial Services, right up to end of 2019 - mainly for the same umbrella company doing a variety of roles - Data Quality, Compliance, Supplier Management, Operations, HR.
I’ve always been grateful for the opportunities and well-rounded skills I’ve gained from my time in Banks but I had an attack of conscience when my daughter was born that I dinny want to be doing this all my days despite the money being better than average.
Towards the end I did 4 or 5 volunteering roles in the community (to fill a void I guess) and that definitely confirmed to me that’s what I wanted to do in some capacity, making the most of my well rounded skills and experience. I still hold some of those volunteering roles with young people and the elderly (volunteering is Barry. Ye canny beat it. Good for the mind).

I took an entry job in the third sector after voluntary redundancy last year to get my foot in the door and now moved on since to something more fitting. I’m roughly in the area I want to be in now thankfully. Working in the community (I’ve landed on my feet - it’s where I grew up), working in a digital communications capacity (again, in my locality. A new type of role for me), working with bikes (my hobby) and schoolchildren (my true calling should’ve been a teacher tbh). It’s 4 jobs, long days and a manic juggle to make fit daily and weekly but I’ve never been more content - these roles make a difference to all types of people in the local community. That sits better with ma’ soul.

You can achieve anything you really want when you put your mind to it.

Last edited:

Admin
Fairly sure I clocked this thread a few years ago - it’s a belter (vive le Bounce. Great bump).
Great advice from Aggs and I totally agree with Mark’s call out about this being a common thought/feeling/urge at some point or other.

I’m halfway through my change but it’s some effort at the start to get up and running. For 17 years I worked in Financial Services, right up to end of 2019 - mainly for the same umbrella company doing a variety of roles - Data Quality, Compliance, Supplier Management, Operations, HR.
I’ve always been grateful for the opportunities and well-rounded skills I’ve gained from my time in Banks but I had an attack of conscience when my daughter was born that I dinny want to be doing this all my days despite the money being better than average.
Towards the end I did 4 or 5 volunteering roles in the community (to fill a void I guess) and that definitely confirmed to me that’s what I wanted to do in some capacity, making the most of my well rounded skills and experience. I still hold some of those volunteering roles with young people and the elderly (volunteering is Barry. Ye canny beat it. Good for the mind).

I took an entry job in the third sector after voluntary redundancy last year to get my foot in the door and now moved on since to something more fitting. I’m roughly in the area I want to be in now thankfully. Working in the community (I’ve landed on my feet - it’s where I grew up), working in a digital communications capacity (again, in my locality. A new type of role for me), working with bikes (my hobby) and schoolchildren (my true calling should’ve been a teacher tbh). It’s 4 jobs, long days and a manic juggle to make fit daily and weekly but I’ve never been more content - these roles make a difference to all types of people in the local community. That sits better with ma’ soul.

You can achieve anything you really want when you put your mind to it.

Glad you aren't busy at Hibs! :giggley:

SUPPORT THE SITE!
May Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £40.00

Unread Posts