• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Can we challenge near the top this season?

He played Boyle out in the wing for ages, yet his best position is playing of the front two which we have seen him in recently.

Couldn’t be down to fitness as both players went straight into games at their current clubs. Maybe more to do with trimming down the squad as he wants the squad to be smaller.

Injuries to our first team will put us in the same situation as Saturday when we had no striker options on the bench but a striker is out injured.
With Scotty it absolutely was down to fitness. He said that himself.
Jack said he wanted a smaller squad of higher quality. I think that was justifying his smaller squad as it exists, not a wish to reduce it further.

I'd be disappointed with 4th of course I would. Who wouldn't be; but come the end of the year and I'm possibly watching Hibs pit themselves against some European team I've never heard of I'll not be minding too much. Then if you beat them you can think 'the standard of Bela Russian football must be crap'.

With Scotty it absolutely was down to fitness. He said that himself.
Jack said he wanted a smaller squad of higher quality. I think that was justifying his smaller squad as it exists, not a wish to reduce it further.

Ross said he wanted a smaller squad. Allan played for Inverness so they didn’t see any fitness issues.

Ross said he wanted a smaller squad. Allan played for Inverness so they didn’t see any fitness issues.
Because he wasn’t match fit and needed games.

A half fit Allan would have made a difference

Possibly.
Ross said much the same stuff in his previous gig, he likes a settled first team squad with the opportunity to bring in young/reserve players to develop. A big squad brings problems with players being unhappy at a lack of game time...... sometimes so unhappy they want to go on loan!
I hope Scotty comes back next season fully fit after all his health problems and graces our team once again.

Possibly.
Ross said much the same stuff in his previous gig, he likes a settled first team squad with the opportunity to bring in young/reserve players to develop. A big squad brings problems with players being unhappy at a lack of game time.... sometimes so unhappy they want to go on loan!
I hope Scotty comes back next season fully fit after all his health problems and graces our team once again.

Yet we were a striker down on Saturday and he doesn’t even put Laidlaw on the bench - young player everyone is talking about.

Yet we were a striker down on Saturday and he doesn’t even put Laidlaw on the bench - young player everyone is talking about.
Never seen the guy play or have a clue whether he’s ready, or indeed would benefit from sitting on the bench.

Hopefully the manager has more of a clue than I.

So you don’t think Ross plays one formation/tactics?

Also players asking to leave on loan spells bad man management to me. Ross wants a smaller squad so we are just going to be stuck with not having enough competition for places.

No, I don’t. Watch any game from the last few months and our formations changes during the game depending on the situation. At times it’s 352, others it’s 442, sometimes 433. Do you seriously think we only play one formation?!

If you’re trying to twist Allan’s loan move to Inverness as an anti-Ross move, then it’s clear you simply have an agenda against the manager so it’s pretty pointless me discussing this any further.

It's interesting to look back at the early posts in this thread, and the significant number of posters who that it unlikely that would finish in the top four. Yet here we are - hot favourites to finish top three, and still the club/managers/players/scouts/greeenkeepers get it in the neck pretty much week after week after week.

It's interesting to look back at the early posts in this thread, and the significant number of posters who that it unlikely that would finish in the top four. Yet here we are - hot favourites to finish top three, and still the club/managers/players/scouts/greeenkeepers get it in the neck pretty much week after week after week.

Seems like people voice their opinion about the manager and players on here these days we are the ones to be throwing our toys out of the pram, yet the evidence was there to see.

This has been a good season.

Yes we have had a few bumps along the road but who didn’t expect that?

We are close to it being a historic season and it is all in our own hands. Whilst Hibs can frustrate the life out of me, I ain’t complaining about our current position.

Not convinced we can challenge higher than 3rd place sadly. You just need to look back at anytime we've sold our best players it creates a dent in any progress made. Secondly of course the issue in finding higher quality players than the ones we already have.

No, I don’t. Watch any game from the last few months and our formations changes during the game depending on the situation. At times it’s 352, others it’s 442, sometimes 433. Do you seriously think we only play one formation?!

If you’re trying to twist Allan’s loan move to Inverness as an anti-Ross move, then it’s clear you simply have an agenda against the manager so it’s pretty pointless me discussing this any further.

Should have been more clear in my last post. When the opposition make their changes Ross does nothing to combat their change. Sometimes he doesn’t bring anyone on at all to give us fresh legs.

Should have been more clear in my last post. When the opposition make their changes Ross does nothing to combat their change. Sometimes he doesn’t bring anyone on at all to give us fresh legs.

Ah right, yeah I agree with you on that. He does seem reluctant to make substitutions, possibly due to the lack of decent alternatives on the bench.

Seems like people voice their opinion about the manager and players on here these days we are the ones to be throwing our toys out of the pram, yet the evidence was there to see.
That's not really true, I just think that sometimes there's a lack of balance and acknowledgment that there are shades of grey in football. It doesn't have to be a choice between knives oot or happy clapping.

Eg I think Hibs have been terrible to watch in probably over half of games this year, but I accept this is an unusual season and plenty other teams appear to be having an abysmal time of it too. I think Doidge is a huddy but lots of other people appreciate his hold up play. I think Nisbet's conversion rate of chances to goals is poor but he's still got a decent tally. I think, with hindsight, that letting Allan and Gullan go on loan was a mistake but before hindsight came along I was in agreement with the Allan decision and undecided either way on Gullan as I thought he was a useful option off the bench but equally I thought a decent amount of game time would do him good. I disagreed with the contract extension for Newell but he's had some pretty good games since then (I still don't think he's what we need, he's too reluctant to take a shot and I think he slows the play down too much).

Hopefully Scott Allan will be back and firing on all cylinders. He would surely walk into our midfield if he can get back to full fitness and I’m still hopeful he has a bright future at hibs

Yet at the start of this thread 80% would've said we had ZERO chance of top 4 finish and cup runs are a dream.

Cup runs, we've had
Top 4 we are

Thats higher than most expected yet still a failure. 🤷‍♂️

Yet at the start of this thread 80% would've said we had ZERO chance of top 4 finish and cup runs are a dream.

Cup runs, we've had
Top 4 we are

Thats higher than most expected yet still a failure. 🤷‍♂️

Top 4 now is it, even though Ross said himself our main targets were a cup and finishing 3rd, I really hope we do get both, although performances like Saturday and his previous semi finals don’t give me confidence.

Top 4 now is it, even though Ross said himself our main targets were a cup and finishing 3rd, I really hope we do get both, although performances like Saturday and his previous semi finals don’t give me confidence.

Thats not what I said though is it.
I'm talking about the expectations of posters in this thread.
Yourself included.

So at the start of the season you thought we wouldn't be here
Now we're here
You're still no happy

And again, performances in those semis should land at the feet of the players.

Thats not what I said though is it.
I'm talking about the expectations of posters in this thread.
Yourself included.

So at the start of the season you thought we wouldn't be here
Now we're here
You're still no happy

And again, performances in those semis should land at the feet of the players.

Do you actually read your own post before hitting submit?
Top 4 we are came from you
Fuck sake now your counting cup runs but not actually winning them 🤣

Do you actually read your own post before hitting submit?
Top 4 we are came from you
Fuck sake now your counting cup runs but not actually winning them 🤣

You read words but don't understand context. Fair enough.

I reckon every fan of every club will have similar complaints about their managers. It's easy in hindsight to say this that or the other should have been done but managers seldom react instantly to opposition changes, they need to assess how that change effects their own team first and then counter it. But unfortunately sometimes it's too late.

Clearly not... when he did come on for us he couldn’t do it

Based on the evidence at the start of the season you thought we had no chance of finishing fourth. Presumably, you didn't fancy us for cup runs either.

As the summer progressed the recruitment team (who you don't rate/trust?) did their magic to transform the squad. The players (many of whom you don't rate/trust?) and manager (who you don't rate/trust?) have now taken the club to the last four in both cup competitions, and third in the league behind the old firm.

Of course, you will see the season as a failure unless and until the Hibs captain lifts the Scottish Cup. On that basis I reckon Hibs have had about 8 successful seasons in 146 years.

What's interesting is if you look at our league position by round we have never been below 4th the entire season. I'd say that's pretty consistently good, however many are still unhappy. It's always a gripe against what might happen next rather than what is happening now.

You said at the beginning of the season that there was no chance of a top six finish.

Now you think that coming fourth and getting to a cup final would be a failure. Which isn't really fair, given your previous stance.

You said at the beginning of the season that there was no chance of a top six finish.

Now you think that coming fourth and getting to a cup final would be a failure. Which isn't really fair, given your previous stance.

Was that on this thread? At the first few pages I don’t mention anything in relation to a top six finish, what I did say was - we need better quality in variety of positions, we also need leaders on the pitch and defenders that challenge balls into the box. I wouldn’t be confident starting a new season with that squad.

Based on the evidence at the start of the season you thought we had no chance of finishing fourth. Presumably, you didn't fancy us for cup runs either.

As the summer progressed the recruitment team (who you don't rate/trust?) did their magic to transform the squad. The players (many of whom you don't rate/trust?) and manager (who you don't rate/trust?) have now taken the club to the last four in both cup competitions, and third in the league behind the old firm.

Of course, you will see the season as a failure unless and until the Hibs captain lifts the Scottish Cup. On that basis I reckon Hibs have had about 8 successful seasons in 146 years.

That wasn’t my points at all, if you look at how poor the league has been this season, Aberdeen being poor, Motherwell the same, even Celtic being a shadow of the team of what they were also.

I agreed that there has been good recruitment and poor recruitment which has been evident through the season.

The cup games under Ross hasn’t been great and out of three semi finals we have lost two, although I said above I hope he delivers this cup and us finishing 3rd. But performances like I witnessed on Saturday makes me less confident.

Clearly not... when he did come on for us he couldn’t do it

That was at the start of the problems he was facing, how come he has managed enough game time at ICT?

That was at the start of the problems he was facing, how come he has managed enough game time at ICT?
Well its obviously a lesser ievel with less pace, playing v teams not at the standard of fitness of the spfl

Its all about context.

If Hibs finish third and win the cup its he greatest season since the 50's.

If Hibs finish 4th and win the cup its a superb season aking to 2016 which was monumental

If Hibs finish 3rd and don't win the cup its a disappointment considering how the season is currently panning out

If Hibs finish 4th and don't win the cup then Ross is getting the boot

Well its obviously a lesser ievel with less pace, playing v teams not at the standard of fitness of the spfl

Yet teams in that division knock out SPL teams

Geez... that happens in the EPL... from league 2 teams! Smaller teams always up their game and the adrenalin gets them through, surely you understand that?

Not usually.

There’s a reason teams in a lower league are er…… in a lower league.

Not usually.

There’s a reason teams in a lower league are er…… in a lower league.

Merely pointing out just because they are in a league lower doesn’t mean they are short of fitness.

Geez... that happens in the EPL... from league 2 teams! Smaller teams always up their game and the adrenalin gets them through, surely you understand that?

Doesn’t mean there is fitness issues, he played six matches for them.

Merely pointing out just because they are in a league lower doesn’t mean they are short of fitness.

They lack in quality and could guarantee him the minutes where we couldn't.
We've been playing for something and wouldn't take the risk with him.

He didn't want 20 minutes here and there, they offered him more game time.
It's really that simple.

Was that on this thread?

Yes.

Greensleeves wrote:

With fixtures announced and only 3 weeks to kick off have we got a strong enough squad to challenge near the top?
A bit threadbare and bench in dire need of freshening up but still Top 6.

Offload The Swiss Hun and bring in 4 more of first 11 quality to challenge for Europe?

You responded: "Not a chance."

So given that the management team have massively exceeded your expectations it seems rather unfair to say they've failed. Would you be happy to be judged like that in your working life? I suspect not.

Yes.

Greensleeves wrote:

With fixtures announced and only 3 weeks to kick off have we got a strong enough squad to challenge near the top?
A bit threadbare and bench in dire need of freshening up but still Top 6.

Offload The Swiss Hun and bring in 4 more of first 11 quality to challenge for Europe?

You responded: "Not a chance."

So given that the management team have massively exceeded your expectations it seems rather unfair to say they've failed. Would you be happy to be judged like that in your working life? I suspect not.

Nice try, you missed out - we need better quality in variety of positions, we also need leaders on the pitch and defenders that challenge balls into the box. I wouldn’t be confident starting a new season with that squad and that time we did.

This thread has been viewed 14435 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back