• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Can we challenge near the top this season?

Defence is a weird one, only position we actually lack depth in is LB. we have 4 first team CB with possibly a 5th if Ben Stirling makes the step up, 2 RBs in Gray (albeit his fist was concerns) and mcginn then only really Lewis at LB with Mackie who don’t think will cut it sadly and possibly young Josh Doig as back up. Overall a decent players but as someone said above it just doesn’t click anymore at the back. Hopefully with the extra cover from Gogic we will see improvements even if the defence isn’t strengthened further
Darren McGregor is very much coming to the end of his playing career, and even though I hope I am wrong, I doubt he will play many games next season. IMO we will need another central defender. David Gray also has big fitness problems, Tom James will likely be away soon, which leaves us with Paul McGinn. I think McGinn is fine at right-back, but IMO we really do need better in both full-back positions as Lewis despite being very fit is not getting any younger. Ben Stirling will definitely be pushing his way into the first team reckoning very soon, and the good thing about him is his versatility. He can play defensive midfield, right-back or central defence.

I wouldn't mind seeing another experienced midfield guy in as well. I suggested Stephen McGinn who is out of contract and was training with us recently. I know that won't meet with much approval by many Hibs fans, but he was Jack Ross's captain at St Mirren when they won the Championship and we definitely need leaders in the team. At 31 I reckon he could do a decent job for a year or two.

Think we’ve got a good chance this season. True we might be a player light in defence but on paper the squad looks pretty good.
We should hitthe ground running this-season because we have decent man in charge who now knows the players and their limitations and has had a good few games from last season under his belt. What we don’t have is an imposter like Paul Heckingbottom who killed our season and the players we inherited through him have been shipped on or have improved enough to compete in the team albeit some are still just squad players but may improve under JR.
I like the look of the new signings all played in Scotland so won’t be surprised by the pace or physicality of the game and they are all a decent age.
Nobody including the currant buns will touch The Smellies think 10 in a row is theirs but I do expect us to take points from them.
So yeah I’m looking for top 3 at least.

Defence is a weird one, only position we actually lack depth in is LB. we have 4 first team CB with possibly a 5th if Ben Stirling makes the step up, 2 RBs in Gray (albeit his fist was concerns) and mcginn then only really Lewis at LB with Mackie who don’t think will cut it sadly and possibly young Josh Doig as back up. Overall a decent players but as someone said above it just doesn’t click anymore at the back. Hopefully with the extra cover from Gogic we will see improvements even if the defence isn’t strengthened further

It's the lack of a leader at the back. Daz and SDG would fit that bill but with best will in the world they can't play every week.

I agree that we don't have bad players back there but there is something disorganised and panicy about them that a strong character would sort out.

It's the lack of a leader at the back. Daz and SDG would fit that bill but with best will in the world they can't play every week.

I agree that we don't have bad players back there but there is something disorganised and panicy about them that a strong character would sort out.

I agree. I think Paul H is a competent player but my impression is that he doesn't really seem to take them by the scruff of the neck and boss everything at the back. He's more of the quiet efficient type. And he, Lewis, SDG and obviously Daz are in the autumn years of their career, let's say.

I don’t think we are the only ones that see this so I do think we will sign at least 1 defender still but in what position or who is anybody’s guess

Two draws with St.Mirren and St.Johnstone

Not exactly inspiring

Not exactly inspiring

Others would realise its a rushed pre season. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
I usually go to all the pre-season games. Pretty relaxing, missing my football by then, and often the only chance to wear a t shirt at the game rather than layers.
It's a chance to see 'new players' but the standard of football, and quite often the result, is sometimes disappointing. It's about fitness, and trying players in different formations more than 'going for a win'.

Others would realise its a rushed pre season. Nothing to worry about.
They are basically training sessions.

They are basically training sessions.

Aye pretty much.

I usually go to all the pre-season games. Pretty relaxing, missing my football by then, and often the only chance to wear a t shirt at the game rather than layers.
It's a chance to see 'new players' but the standard of football, and quite often the result, is sometimes disappointing. It's about fitness, and trying players in different formations more than 'going for a win'.

Agree sir ✅

James Delaney in his recent article - “Pre-season friendlies are usually fairly ponderous affairs played at a walking pace by players desperate to avoid injury before the start of a long domestic season.”

Agree sir ✅

James Delaney in his recent article - “Pre-season friendlies are usually fairly ponderous affairs played at a walking pace by players desperate to avoid injury before the start of a long domestic season.”
That's how I remember them.

If they were training sessions I'd want to see them work a damn sight harder! At least breaking sweat!

Not exactly inspiring

Not a problem. Keep the good results for the season

I'm wondering if our three latest recruits are a bit behind the rest of the squad in terms of fitness levels ? Might be wrong, but I seem to remember Kevin Nisbet getting an injury just after New Year and being out for a good while. It might be that he is some way behind the others in terms of match fitness. I wonder when his last competitive game was ? Same with the other two.

I'm wondering if our three latest recruits are a bit behind the rest of the squad in terms of fitness levels ? Might be wrong, but I seem to remember Kevin Nisbet getting an injury just after New Year and being out for a good while. It might be that he is some way behind the others in terms of match fitness. I wonder when his last competitive game was ? Same with the other two.

Yeah he said he was injured in feb ending his season before lockdown has. He did say he breezed through the initial running he has done in training. They will be a week or so behind in terms of proper pre season training but hopefully not too far behind it they’ve been looking after themselves.

Some interesting thoughts in here thinking about where we'd end up.

Think we've done well considering the expectations of most here.

Some interesting thoughts in here thinking about where we'd end up.

Think we've done well considering the expectations of most here.

Imagine if we drop 4th and lose versus Dundee United.

posters-explosion-nuclear-bomb-in-ocean.jpg

Imagine if we drop 4th and lose versus Dundee United.

View attachment 4868

Would be happy if we did?

I think we will challenge for third and get to the latter stages of the Scottish cup. Bit worried about that Perth side though, could be a bit of a bogey team for us

Dinny be silly.

Eh?

Why would that make you happy ? How would that help anything ? or maybe you think it would help get the manager sacked ?? 3rd and a Cup win is still a real possibility

Was suppose to say would you be happy to @stickyRicky who got what I was on about.

Why would that make you happy ? How would that help anything ? or maybe you think it would help get the manager sacked ?? 3rd and a Cup win is still a real possibility

Absolutely not and if that happens he is a failure in my opinion.

Absolutely not and if that happens he is a failure in my opinion.

Finishing 4th from where we are now would be a failure for sure.

Winning a cup is never easy, it requires a combination of luck and timing. Both cups this season presented us with highly favourable final 4s, we failed in the league cup. We need to at least go one better and reach the Scottish Cup final.

The progress under Jack Ross has been pretty good to me, so his position shouldn’t be under threat going into next season. That said there are clear deficiencies in the squad, between Ross and Mathie they have to make the right signings this summer - not just ability but some characters/leaders/winners.

Finishing 4th from where we are now would be a failure for sure.

Winning a cup is never easy, it requires a combination of luck and timing. Both cups this season presented us with highly favourable final 4s, we failed in the league cup. We need to at least go one better and reach the Scottish Cup final.

The progress under Jack Ross has been pretty good to me, so his position shouldn’t be under threat going into next season. That said there are clear deficiencies in the squad, between Ross and Mathie they have to make the right signings this summer - not just ability but some characters/leaders/winners.

Going by how shite the league has been this season if he fails to secure 3rd and loses yet another semi final, what is going to change going forward?

Do we just accept it, or do we match Ron’s ambitions to be the third force in Scottish football, Sunderland didn’t fuck about so why should we?

Going by how shite the league has been this season if he fails to secure 3rd and loses yet another semi final, what is going to change going forward?

Do we just accept it, or do we match Ron’s ambitions to be the third force in Scottish football, Sunderland didn’t fuck about so why should we?

This is only his first full season in charge, there’s enough progress been made from where we were prior to his arrival to suggest that he can build on this season. Another summer transfer window, another pre-season etc.

Suggesting we go back to square one doesn’t make sense to me, not when we’re trying to become regular challengers. That requires consistency. I genuinely think that if anyone’s position at Hibs is under review, it should be Graeme Mathie - he’s ultimately responsible for the transfer business which has left us with only 2 strikers and no creative midfielders.

As for Sunderland... I really hope Ron Gordon has no intentions of running Hibernian anything like that utter shambles of a football club.

So you accept that in this covid season that all teams have been shite but you expect Hibs to be immune to that?

This is only his first full season in charge, there’s enough progress been made from where we were prior to his arrival to suggest that he can build on this season. Another summer transfer window, another pre-season etc.

Suggesting we go back to square one doesn’t make sense to me, not when we’re trying to become regular challengers. That requires consistency. I genuinely think that if anyone’s position at Hibs is under review, it should be Graeme Mathie - he’s ultimately responsible for the transfer business which has left us with only 2 strikers and no creative midfielders.

As for Sunderland... I really hope Ron Gordon has no intentions of running Hibernian anything like that utter shambles of a football club.

He has had plenty of time to work on different formations, he should have learned from his mistakes at Sunderland but he hasn’t. As others have said teams have worked his one formation out, when that goes tits up he has no plan B. How long did it take him to work out Boyler’s best position? Puts players in their wrong positions to accommodate players who are inconsistent.

Your right about Mathie and the recruitment team as I mentioned on the Very Poor thread with the exception of Nisbet and Doig our recruitment has been dire for a while.

@Hami mentioned we have been in three semi finals to which we have lost two, it’s like we just have to accept that. We were 7 points ahead of the Sheep now they have closed it to 3 points. His big games achievements worries me for next week and if he loses 3rd, something has to change surely? Sticking with him will just be a repeat of the same huge mistakes, Ron has invested in us and wants us to be the third force in Scotland, sorry I just don’t see this happening under Ross and our current recruitment team.

Last edited:
So you accept that in this covid season that all teams have been shite but you expect Hibs to be immune to that?

Teams have been a lower grade to last season, Motherwell finished higher than they did, Aberdeen have been shite, Celtic were nowhere at the same level as last season, Huns the only ones who have been the only ones that have gone up a level (Lucky at times), we were 7 points clear of the sheep and now they have clawed it back to 3 points.

Teams have been a lower grade to last season, Motherwell finished higher than they did, Aberdeen have been shite, Celtic were nowhere at the same level as last season, Huns the only ones who have been the only ones that have gone up a level (Lucky at times), we were 7 points clear of the sheep and now they have clawed it back to 3 points.
We're sitting third though aye?

We're sitting third though aye?

And if we don’t finish 3rd is that acceptable?

He has had plenty of time to work on different formations, he should have learned from his mistakes at Sunderland but he hasn’t. As others have said teams have worked his one formation out, when that goes tits up he has no plan B. How long did it take him to work out Boyler’s best position? Puts players in their wrong positions to accommodate players who are inconsistent.

Your right about Mathie and the recruitment team as I mentioned on the Very Poor thread with the exception of Nisbet or recruitment has been dire for a while.

@Hami mentioned we have been in three semi finals to which we have lost two, it’s like we just have to accept that. We were 7 points ahead of the Sheep now they have closed it to 3 points. His big games achievements worries me for next week and if he loses 3rd, something has to change surely? Sticking with him will just be a repeat of the same huge mistakes, Ron has invested in us and wants us to be the third force in Scotland, sorry I just don’t see this happening under Ross and our current recruitment team.

No sure what you mean about working on formations as we seem to be very fluid with our formations, even during games. There’s nothing rigid about the shape. Tactics and formations aren’t really to issue for me, it’s personnel.

What we don’t have is enough depth in the squad to change games. I think most managers would struggle to have a decent plan b when they don’t have any kind of forward on the bench. That is a serious failure to recruit properly and build a balanced squad.

And if we don’t finish 3rd is that acceptable?
I'll be disappointed but it'll still be our equal best result in fifteen years so I'll keep my toys in my pram.

No sure what you mean about working on formations as we seem to be very fluid with our formations, even during games. There’s nothing rigid about the shape. Tactics and formations aren’t really to issue for me, it’s personnel.

What we don’t have is enough depth in the squad to change games. I think most managers would struggle to have a decent plan b when they don’t have any kind of forward on the bench. That is a serious failure to recruit properly and build a balanced squad.

So you don’t think Ross plays one formation/tactics?

Also players asking to leave on loan spells bad man management to me. Ross wants a smaller squad so we are just going to be stuck with not having enough competition for places.

Last edited:
I'll be disappointed but it'll still be our equal best result in fifteen years so I'll keep my toys in my pram.

It’s nothing about toys being thrown though is it, it’s about wanting the best for the club. If your happy with losing semi finals and losing our best chance in years finishing 3rd then that’s up to you.

It’s nothing about toys being thrown though is it, it’s about wanting the best for the club. If your happy with losing semi finals and losing our best chance in years finishing 3rd then that’s up to you.
I don't really get this kind of chat. As fans all we actually do is either buy / not buy tickets and cheer / boo / sit on our hands at games. That's the extent of our influence unless it comes to the stage of protests. Folk come on and talk about things not being acceptable and only wanting the best for the club as if they're planning to inject millions of quid or take over the coaching personally.

I don't really get this kind of chat. As fans all we actually do is either buy / not buy tickets and cheer / boo / sit on our hands at games. That's the extent of our influence unless it comes to the stage of protests. Folk come on and talk about things not being acceptable and only wanting the best for the club as if they're planning to inject millions of quid or take over the coaching personally.

Just my opinion like you have yours 👍

So you don’t think Ross plays one formation/tactics?

Also players asking to leave on loan spells bad man management to me. Ross wants a smaller squad so we are just going to be stuck with not having enough competition for places.
But he doesn’t know Boylers best position?

Players not getting a regular game and wanting loan deals.... is that really bad man management ? The alternative was keeping them and only using them in dire need. When they prob wouldn’t be match fit.

I think JR needs a bit time to prove if he’s as bad as you think.

But he doesn’t know Boylers best position?

Players not getting a regular game and wanting loan deals.... is that really bad man management ? The alternative was keeping them and only using them in dire need. When they prob wouldn’t be match fit.

I think JR needs a bit time to prove if he’s as bad as you think.

He played Boyle out in the wing for ages, yet his best position is playing of the front two which we have seen him in recently.

Couldn’t be down to fitness as both players went straight into games at their current clubs. Maybe more to do with trimming down the squad as he wants the squad to be smaller.

Injuries to our first team will put us in the same situation as Saturday when we had no striker options on the bench but a striker is out injured.

This thread has been viewed 14507 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50
Back