Can we challenge near the top this season?

SUPPORT THE SITE!
Sept Goal: £70.00
Donations so far: £26.37

EA2007

Last Of The Summer Wine Radge
Massive win for Stoke today.
If Michael O’Neill is interested in Boyle then staying in the championship would play a big part in following up with an offer. Not the easiest 3 games after today but reckon they will stay up now and much more likely to chuck a decent bid our way.

Still don’t fancy Villa to stay up even if they hold onto this HT lead. Must be a cert surely that McGinn would be sold and a windfall heading our way.

Greenmachine

Aulder Than The Internet This Radge
Hibs should set out to win the league at the start of every season.

Impossible to achieve, but that should be our aim otherwise what is the point in taking part in the competition ? In fact what is the point in taking part in any competition in any walk of life if right at the start you don't think you can win it ?

If we have that ambition from the start of any season and go for it, but end up as expected falling short and finishing third or fourth, we will accept that as success for us because we will have achieved European football which is what we should realistically be achieving every season. If we start out at the start of every league campaign saying we hope to finish third or fourth then the likelihood is we will end up fifth or sixth, and that would and should be seen as failure for us. Reach for the sky, that's what I say.

We should also be winning a trophy around every five or six years as far as I am concerned, however I appreciate that cup success is very much down to good luck, and in Scotland it is extremely difficult for non Old Firm teams to win trophies. We should still have won far more than we have done though.

Green Sleeves

Well-Known Radge
Massive win for Stoke today.
If Michael O’Neill is interested in Boyle then staying in the championship would play a big part in following up with an offer. Not the easiest 3 games after today but reckon they will stay up now and much more likely to chuck a decent bid our way.

Still don’t fancy Villa to stay up even if they hold onto this HT lead. Must be a cert surely that McGinn would be sold and a windfall heading our way.

McGinn windfall wont be transformative. If he goes this summer he'll get £20m tops in current Covid climate. Be lucky if we end up with £4m of that once all is taken into consideration. A big chunk of money yes but it'll be used by Miser Ron to make up shortfalls. That's why I hope McGinn stays for another season at Villa, transfer prices recuperate, and any sell on income isnt used to paper over current cashflow problems. Ron should put his hand in his pocket to get us through the next 6 months. So far he's been the invisible millionaire

paigntonhibby

Well-Known Radge
Hibs should set out to win the league at the start of every season.

Impossible to achieve, but that should be our aim otherwise what is the point in taking part in the competition ? In fact what is the point in taking part in any competition in any walk of life if right at the start you don't think you can win it ?

If we have that ambition from the start of any season and go for it, but end up as expected falling short and finishing third or fourth, we will accept that as success for us because we will have achieved European football which is what we should realistically be achieving every season. If we start out at the start of every league campaign saying we hope to finish third or fourth then the likelihood is we will end up fifth or sixth, and that would and should be seen as failure for us. Reach for the sky, that's what I say.

We should also be winning a trophy around every five or six years as far as I am concerned, however I appreciate that cup success is very much down to good luck, and in Scotland it is extremely difficult for non Old Firm teams to win trophies. We should still have won far more than we have done though.
Couldnae agree more, reach for the ceiling and you might just get off the floor, reach for the sky and you might hit the ceiling. GGTTH

HenryLB

Donator
While I'm excited by Nisbet I'm not all that optimistic for next season for two reasons, I guess. First, the defence is rubbish and it doesn't get much help from the midfield, and second Scott Allan's form hasn't been great and I'm not sure if it'll recover. We'll possibly have an absolute handful of a strike force but service and stopping goals the other end could be our undoing, I fear.

AG1337

Well-Known Radge
The defence is concerning but oddly, we do have decent defenders.

The issue seems to be collective and organised defending. Far too many balls allowed into our box and this has been a problem for a long time.

I think the other challenge is balancing attacking football with a sound defensive set up, Hibs generally always want to attack and it can leave you exposed.

I think we have a decent squad, albeit weakened from last year imo. That said, most teams have been weakened due to the pandemic and finances. If JR can get the team set up properly I think we can challenge top six at least, maybe for 3rd.

??

HenryLB

Donator
The issue seems to be collective and organised defending. Far too many balls allowed into our box and this has been a problem for a long time.

I think the other challenge is balancing attacking football with a sound defensive set up, Hibs generally always want to attack and it can leave you exposed.

Yep. A big problem of the last couple of seasons has been us quite often allowing opposing attackers to wander about in our third largely unimpeded, IMO.

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
The defence is concerning but oddly, we do have decent defenders.

I think we have a decent squad, albeit weakened from last year imo. That said, most teams have been weakened due to the pandemic and finances. If JR can get the team set up properly I think we can challenge top six at least, maybe for 3rd.

??

What makes you think we've a weaker squad this year?
We've only lost loanees and out of them only Omeonga and Docherty would really be missed. I like them both and would have them both back, but neither would be irreplaceable.
We've brought in a proper defensive midfielder so that's a slight strengthening job.

I think we're about where we were on the whole.

Agree about the defending being collective though. When theres such a massive gap between your defenders and midfield there's honestly not alot the defence can do.
Step forward and be exposed or sit tight and be walked through.

I'm not too worried about the season ahead tbh, not on the park anyway.

Weehibbydrew

Mussel-bound Radge
What makes you think we've a weaker squad this year?
We've only lost loanees and out of them only Omeonga and Docherty would really be missed. I like them both and would have them both back, but neither would be irreplaceable.
We've brought in a proper defensive midfielder so that's a slight strengthening job.

I think we're about where we were on the whole.

Agree about the defending being collective though. When theres such a massive gap between your defenders and midfield there's honestly not alot the defence can do.
Step forward and be exposed or sit tight and be walked through.

I'm not too worried about the season ahead tbh, not on the park anyway.
We've lost Whittaker and Slivka too.

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
We've lost Whittaker and Slivka too.

Forgot about them both tbf, losing Slivka isn't a loss though, had ability but we never got to really see or use it.
Whittaker had a handful of good games and most would've been quite happy to see him leave. Probably had a fair wage too.

I take the point though, but we do/did have too many players in excess.

Hammi

Top radge
Admin
Yip, players also year older and slower.
We have lost more than we have brought in so I see us weaker, at the moment anyway.

Other players will also be a year older and sharper. Depends where that turning point is defined.

AG1337

Well-Known Radge
Other players will also be a year older and sharper. Depends where that turning point is defined.
Still think we are slightly weaker but you make a valid point.
Older players tend to get injuries more, right now I feel we lack depth in some areas of the pitch, predominantly the defence.

C4MMY

Well-Known Radge
Still think we are slightly weaker but you make a valid point.
Older players tend to get injuries more, right now I feel we lack depth in some areas of the pitch, predominantly the defence.
Defence is a weird one, only position we actually lack depth in is LB. we have 4 first team CB with possibly a 5th if Ben Stirling makes the step up, 2 RBs in Gray (albeit his fist was concerns) and mcginn then only really Lewis at LB with Mackie who don’t think will cut it sadly and possibly young Josh Doig as back up. Overall a decent players but as someone said above it just doesn’t click anymore at the back. Hopefully with the extra cover from Gogic we will see improvements even if the defence isn’t strengthened further

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here