• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Big Bang in Beirut

Jack

Private Member
Reaction score
That's a huge one!

That is insane. Saying it was an accident. Dunno what would explode like that to be honest

That is insane. Saying it was an accident. Dunno what would explode like that to be honest
A bomb or bomb factory?

lots of fireworks going off before the big explosion?

Seems like there was a previous explosion too going by the footage

2750 tons of forgotten about ammonium nitrate. It seems that given certain conditions it explodes without any need for additives.

Fire cracker factory ??

It will probably come as surprise to most people on here that hundreds of thousands of tons of Ammonium Nitrate (NH4NO3) were produced within Leith Docks, less than one and a half miles from Easter Road. I worked at S.A.I for over 20 years from 1970-1991. Liquified Ammonia imported by rail from ICI in Billingham with all Nitric Acid produced on site in Leith.

I suspect that the granular chemical in Lebanon was stored in bulk, unbagged.
The Leith made Ammonium Nitrate was packed in 1 tonne bags.

Screenshot_20200805-193640_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20200805-194104_Chrome.jpg

BIG G

Went to Beirut in 2011. Just checked and stayed in an area less than 1km from the blast site which was one of the livelier parts of the city.

If I’d been there a month earlier my planned day trip to Damascus would’ve been allowed as well.

Unfortunate/Fortunate timing that things kicked off over there around that time.

Here’s the only photo I can find of the trip (shop for the many Filipinos over there at that time apparently)

76536B3E-8DCE-4F05-82CF-9EE8396CC17E.png

Went to Beirut in 2011. Just checked and stayed in an area less than 1km from the blast site which was one of the livelier parts of the city.

If I’d been there a month earlier my planned day trip to Damascus would’ve been allowed as well.

Unfortunate/Fortunate timing that things kicked off over there around that time.

Here’s the only photo I can find of the trip (shop for the many Filipinos over there at that time apparently)

View attachment 3137
how apt you found that place :)

It will probably come as surprise to most people on here that hundreds of thousands of tons of Ammonium Nitrate (NH4NO3) were produced within Leith Docks, less than one and a half miles from Easter Road. I worked at S.A.I for over 20 years from 1970-1991. Liquified Ammonia imported by rail from ICI in Billingham with all Nitric Acid produced on site in Leith.

View attachment 3135
View attachment 3136

BIG G
Big G, when I wiz a wee boy and was getting taken on supporters buses, there was a wee woman bus conveynor called Maud.

I wiz scared of her. For good reason it appears :gigglle:

Also, in my younger childhood, I grew up a stones thrown away from Chancelot Mill... had nae idea I wiz a ba' hair from being eviscerated :cryy:

Big G, when I wiz a wee boy and was getting taken on supporters buses, there was a wee woman bus conveynor called Maud.

I wiz scared of her. For good reason it appears :gigglle:

Also, in my younger childhood, I grew up a stones thrown away from Chancelot Mill... had nae idea I wiz a ba' hair from being eviscerated :cryy:

Bit harsh on Maud.
She was a fierce lady, not to be messed with but I never heard of her disembowelling anyone.

Bit harsh on Maud.
She was a fierce lady, not to be messed with but I never heard of her disembowelling anyone.

Maude McFarlane ran the efficient Hawkhill Branch bus for decades with a well known discipline. She was Sunblessed.

BIG G

View attachment 3135
View attachment 3136

BIG G
My auld man worked for the SAI and Fisons G.

Bit harsh on Maud.

... i was off course referring to Chancelot Mill, and that building eviscerating me of life :sm071:

... i was off course referring to Chancelot Mill, and that building eviscerating me of life :sm071:

My mistake.
:lookaround:

My mistake.
:lookaround:
I didnae mean the finger smillie.. i thought I clicked the heid in the toilet one :sm003::0:

As did my Granda Benny Love, all the way through the war and up until he died in the early 70's.

As did my Granda Benny Love, all the way through the war and up until he died in the early 70's.
He'd of been there the same time as my auld man Willie / Bill Tait

He'd of been there the same time as my auld man Willie / Bill Tait

They probably kent each other, he was a leither who moved to Wardieburn in the 50's.

There were 3 component parts of SAI. In the Docks was the chemical plant, making Sulphuric Acid, Phosphoric Acid, Nitric Acid, Ammonium Nitrate and various blends of fertiliser using the above acids and Ammonia gas. The vast raw material warehouses were filled with Sulphur and Phosphate rock transferred via conveyor belts from ships in the dock. Adjacent was the Grass Seed Department.

The bagging plant and transport facilities were outside the docks running a good part of Salamander Street. I worked in the chemical plant from 1970 - 91.

Any idea which part of SAI and when?

BIG G

This thread has been viewed 1708 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back