• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Best 'nearly' Hibs player

Hibees-Mad

Mad Hibees Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
There's always players we are set to sign but for whatever reason they don't come here (normally end up at The Sheep nowadays!) - but what are your favourite almost men for Hibs....you know, the David Platt kinda signings.

Be interested if there's any really random ones out there!

Anyone?

I saw the title of this thread and thought "No, he definitely was".

Ally Dick, we were close to signing him when Joe McBride got injured.

Instead he went Ajax, and we got Joe Tortolano.

Wow! This is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for!

Good thread. Those who spring immediately to mind include Gordon Strachan, John Robertson, and Ronnie Rosenthal.

Ryan Christie is another - we were close to signing him when John McGinn left, Celtic for reasons that escape me didn’t conclude the deal.

H e went Ajax.You mean he scrubbed up well?

Not strictly pertinent to this thread as not a player..... but I had heard at the time there was big "interest" from Hibs for Stevie Clark to be the manager of Hibernian. I was down in England when got the news our new manager was Pat Fenlon. Firstly "who?" I thought.... was gutted!

Reactions: Zab
Not strictly pertinent to this thread as not a player..... but I had heard at the time there was big "interest" from Hibs for Stevie Clark to be the manager of Hibernian. I was down in England when got the news our new manager was Pat Fenlon. Firstly "who?" I thought.... was gutted!
Yeah, I heard that too. Also that Michael O'Neill would have been our manager if it wasn't for a smear campaign against him and his drinking habits.

Maybe we've lost out more on managers than players!

Yeah, I heard that too. Also that Michael O'Neill would have been our manager if it wasn't for a smear campaign against him and his drinking habits.

Maybe we've lost out more on managers than players!
Aye, forgot about Michael O'Neil (another classy player. Sweet left peg). .... but I dont think he was actually in the frame at the time....

And where did he wind up , kilmarnock 🤷‍♂️

Aye, forgot about Michael O'Neil (another classy player. Sweet left peg). .... but I dont think he was actually in the frame at the time....

Had a long interview with Rod and thought he had the job, was mentioned in a Scotsman interview

Jamie Cureton was a player we were always linked with back in the day but never signed

And where did he wind up , kilmarnock 🤷‍♂️
aye... but there was a big gap between possibly coming tae us and being a manager there.

He had a great record as an assistant at Chelsea (spit)

Had a long interview with Rod and thought he had the job, was mentioned in a Scotsman interview

Jamie Cureton was a player we were always linked with back in the day but never signed
I sit corrected!

Leigh for £150k 🤔

Leigh for £150k 🤔
If this was Twitter, I'd be posting Fattus Prickus gif of Simon Cowell to this!

Lennon was after Jack Hendry, was close to getting him too

Lennon was after Jack Hendry, was close to getting him too
Really? Didn't know that

I wonder if it was ever actually close?

Paddy McCourt every transfer window since he left Celtic for about 5 years.

Ive just heard he's at East Mains right now

And about 3 windows while he was still at Celtic!

Cillian Sheridan, played as a trialist and seemed like a done deal, but fell through for some reason. Might have been a bullet dodged to be fair.

Ronnie Rosenthal.

Played a couple of friendlies and scored 4 or 5 goals in one?
Then fecked off to Liverpool.

Oops - apologies @Weehibbydrew ..... just noticed you already mentioned this gadgie.

Last edited:
Ronnie Rosenthal.

Played a couple of friendlies and scored 4 or 5 goals in one?
Then fecked off to Liverpool.
Probably more chance of signing Jim

Pretty sure Angry McGregor had virtually agreed to sign from the Huns when Paul Le Guen wanted him out the door.
Turned out it was Paul that left........

McGrath from St Mirren.... 👀

Pretty sure Angry McGregor had virtually agreed to sign from the Huns when Paul Le Guen wanted him out the door.
Turned out it was Paul that left......

I thought there was a time we were about to sign him....I thought it was when he came back from Dunfermline on loan though.

I think Cureton was training with Hibs. Would have been a good signing but not to be.

We had that guy Averladze or something who got poached by Dundee in their billionaire spell.
Did well there.

We had that guy Averladze or something who got poached by Dundee in their billionaire spell.
Did well there.
Is that the guy the The Rangers signed by mistake after the Ajax manager asked someone tae get Shota Averladze?

I remember Clark being linked with every vacant manager's job for about 5 years before he went to Killie.

Another name from the 70's...legendary Motherwell striker Willie Pettigrew was almost a Hibs player.

I know this guy did play for us for 3 months, Didier Agathe....however we missed out on him on a proper deal due to over caution by Alex McLeish.

Thank fuck that lanky streak of pish laugherty never pulled on our strip. What was Lennon thinking.

Did well there.
Nemsadzi I think it was. He was captain of his national team. Did not bad for Dundee.

Think Sauzee attempted to sign David Ginola on a loan when he fell out with the manager at Villa.

Everton's Leon Osman was linked with Lennon trying to bring him to the club.

Hibs were said to be showing interest in signing a young Billy Bremner fore he went south and joined Leeds.

Nemsadzi I think it was. He was captain of his national team. Did not bad for Dundee.
That’s the fella.
I wasn’t even close!

From memory GJP tried to get Peter Beardsley from Newcastle.

Did Robbie Savage not claim to have been approached by McLeish about signing ?

That’s the fella.
I wasn’t even close!
They were both Georgian. The hun was a striker and the other a midfielder.

Who remembers, “Hibs go for Kid Cantona”?

Also Liam Henderson to return for about the next 4-5 Windows after 21/05/16

Last edited:
Reactions: Zab

This thread has been viewed 3231 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back