• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Best gigs

barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
Private Member
Reaction score
Ok let’s be avin ya.
Best 3 concerts you have attended.
Add colour to the story if you want.
But not best 5 or 6
Best 3.
I’m sure there are some classics given the musicos on here. Shrink may have seen Elvis support hank Williams.
So come on pop pickers.
Mine....At least for today...
Simon & Garfunkel Old friends tour Atlanta
Bowie Glass spider tour wembley
Billy Joel live at the garden - Madison square

I would always name three Springsteen shows out of the 24 I have attended since 1985 because in my view no other live shows I have been to even come close, but in the interests of fairness and impartiality I will only name one;

1/ Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, June 4th 1985 St James Park, Newcastle; Literally changed my life. I was never the same person after it. Never experienced anything like it before or since. More a religious experience than a rock and roll show. Vowed to myself from then on I would go to see Bruce on every tour thereafter and I am very happy to say I have managed to do so.

2/ U2 August 1993, Celtic Park, Glasgow; Just awesome. Best stage show I have ever seen, and the band were totally on fire. I've seen U2 many times, but that was probably the best all round I have seen them..although the Playhouse show in 1984 was pretty special as well..especially since I managed to sneak in and see the show for nothing !

3/ Stevie Wonder at the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1989; Brilliant gig. His band were out of this world, and Stevie himself was fabulous. Played for three incredible hours.

Been lucky enough to have been to loads of concerts over the years and have seen just about every major artist and band of the last 50 or so years at various times, so it was very difficult to pick a second and third choice, but there you go. I had to pick two so I picked those two.

Last edited:
I would always name three Springsteen shows out of the 24 I have attended since 1985 because in my view no other live performer even comes close, but in the interests of fairness and impartiality I will only name one;

1/ Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, June 4th 1985 St James Park, Newcastle; Literally changed my life. I was never the same person after it. Never experienced anything like it before or since. More a religious experience than a rock and roll show. Vowed to myself from then on I would go to see Bruce on every tour thereafter and I am very happy to say I have managed to do so.

2/ U2 August 1993, Smellies... Park, Glasgow; Just awesome. Best stage show I have ever seen, and the band were totally on fire. I've seen U2 many times, but that was probably the best all round I have seen them..although the Playhouse show in 1984 was pretty special as well..especially since I managed to sneak in and see the show for nothing !

3/ Stevie Wonder at the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1989; Brilliant gig. His band were out of this world, and Stevie himself was fabulous. Played for three incredible hours.

Been lucky enough to have been to loads of concerts over the years and have seen just about every major artist and band there has ever been at various times, so it was very difficult to pick a second and third choice, but there you go. I had to pick two so I picked those two.
I new you’d be first in ?
I was at both of your first two concerts.
Bruce at Newcastle was narrowly edged out by billy Joel. Probably a lot to do with the venue as I’d always wanted to go to Madison square garden.

I thought the U2 gig was too contrived. Lots of politics, not enough music, but I do rate them.

wish I’d seen Stevie Wonder.

Bruce at Newcastle was narrowly edged out by billy Joel. Probably a lot to do with the venue as I’d always wanted to go to Madison square garden.

I thought the U2 gig was too contrived. Lots of politics, not enough music, but I do rate them.

Also I could have went with three Bowie gigs been to see him 11 times
?

Great idea this!

So my 3 are not necessarily the best bands I’ve seen or even the best shows, but they are the most memorable. In no particular order:

1 - Stereophonics, Edinburgh Castle: It pissed it down with rain for the entire night, and there was no bevy for sale, but me and my 3 best mates smuggled some vodka in and had a quality night.

2 - Gaslight Anthem, Picture House: not a well known band, but they are brilliant live. Just another that me and my mates had a great time at, which is kind of what it’s all about. What a venue that was too, tragedy it’s a fucking Wetherspoons now.

3 - Springsteen, Hampden Park: I wasn’t a massive fan going into this one, liked a few of his songs but that was about as much as I knew. My dad is a huge fan of his (in the same way Greenmachine appears to be!) and was adamant he was taking me. Anyway from song one I was blown away, got to see big Clarence play the sax, brilliant. I drove and somehow left the car boot open, the light stayed on and I drained the battery, so was an AA job before could even head home, oops!

Quality Zab.
Cool that you picked a couple of lesser knowns. Thomas Dolby in New York almost made my list as did Mari Wilson at Edinburgh uni.

Also I could have went with three Bowie gigs been to see him 11 times
?
Were you at the Ingliston show in 1990 ? That was my one and only Bowie show and he was fantastic. Wish I had got to see him more times.

Envious that you got to see Billy Joel at MSG. I'm a big fan as well. Saw him at the SECC in the early 90's but seeing him at the Garden must have been awesome.

My late ma was a huge Simon Garfunkel fan.
She visited me in Atlanta and luckily she arrived the night of the show. Straight from the airport to the gig. The look on her face was priceless.

Were you at the Ingliston show in 1990 ? That was my one and only Bowie show and he was fantastic. Wish I had got to see him more times.
Yes I was. Front row. The greatest hits tour I believe. Great show!

Envious that you got to see Billy Joel at MSG. I'm a big fan as well. Saw him at the SECC in the early 90's but seeing him at the Garden must have been awesome.
It was just last year.
Unbelievable night.
$18 bucks a beer and I had a bucket full?
Brilliant night.
NYC rocks

It was just last year.
Unbelievable night.
$18 bucks a beer and I had a bucket full?
Brilliant night.
NYC rocks
New York State of mind.
Place went ballistic

Glad I posted this
Even if nobody else replies ?
Took me down memory road

Quality Zab.
Cool that you picked a couple of lesser knowns. Thomas Dolby in New York almost made my list as did Mari Wilson at Edinburgh uni.

I’ve been to so many gigs, but those were the first 3 that really jump out. Genuinely enjoyed them all, even if the artist wasn’t my cup of tea.

Played in bands too so been on the other side of it, brilliant experience.

The Prodigy at the SECC in 2018. Madness doesn't cover it

RIP Keith Flint

David Bowie, Barrowlands 1997.
Iggy pop/psychedelic furs, odeon 1979?
Japan.playhouse 1981.

Last edited:
First proper Concert,1973,my Dad took my brother and I to see Duke Ellington at the Usher Hall,I'd be 11.Awesome experience even if he did look frail and lost his place a couple of times.I was watching a true legend.First proper gig,The White Riot Tour, aged 15,went by myself,excited beyond excited,the Playhouse.Saw the Jam,Slits,Buzzcocks, and Subway Sect on the same bill,then the Clash came on.Pandemonium,a crush like I'd only experienced at ER,seats got broken,bruises got achieved,left about half a stone lighter and a punk.3?hard to decide saw so many,a great one up the Nite Club above the Playhouse, must have been 82?The Birthday Party,supported by the Cocteau Twins,early Cocteaus,went in a fan of the Birthday Party, came out a massive fan of the Cocteau Twins.Could have mentioned the Buzzcocks supported by Joy Division or Public Enemy supported by 3rd Base,or Dizzy Gillespie.

I saw him in Atlanta on that tour ?

Also seen Billy Joel in the Garden a few years ago. Earth Wind and Fire at Wembley in late 70’s, there was mare on the stage than off it! Wisnae really but there was a lot of them. First gig I went tae was Slade at the Empire, Dave Hill sitting on a chair wi a broken leg and gang fights oot side, if memory serves me right.

1. The Cure - Bellahouston Park, Glasgow 2019. I've been going to gigs since the mid 90s but my absolute favourite was just last year. The Cure were simply extraordinary. Very few bands can make tens of thousands in a park feel like they are at an intimate club gig but Bob Smith and his elder goths managed it (though it probably helped that I was down the front). Incredible sound, great set list and fantastic support from Mogwai and The Twilight Sad. One of those shows where you can feel the entire audience hanging off every note. Superb.

2. R.E.M. - Stirling Castle 1999. Generally speaking I prefer club gigs to big outdoor ones, but two of my favourites fall into the latter category simply by virtue of the expertise with which these two handle a crowd that size. R.E.M. were touring UP at the time, which is a divisive album in their back catalogue so it probably helps that I fall into the camp that quite likes it and its impact on the set was appreciated. That said, like most bands that have been around that long it really was a greatest hits set delivered with the panache you'd expect from a band of that stature.

3. Green Day - Glasgow Barrowlands 1998. They are a bit limp these days, but back then Green Day were still at their frenetic, snotty best. I was 16 and this was the first time I'd really seen a band take the roof off a place. There was a electric atmosphere in the Barras that night, the crowd just constantly moving, bouncing and the band milking it for all it was worth.

Last edited:
My first ever gig was UFO at the Odeon in 1980 when I was 15. Great stuff.
For a few years at that time I was totally into heavy rock and I went to see some of the classic rock bands of the time as they almost all played Edinburgh when they were touring. So I saw the likes of Rainbow, Thin Lizzy (several times), Judas Priest, Black sabbath (with a fledgling Iron Maiden supporting), Saxon, Rush (several times), Michael Schenker Group etc. Even though I kind of grew out of all that and got into loads of other music, I still like to this day many of those bands. Heavy Metal was a bit of an outlet for me at that time.

Last edited:
Oasis - Loch Lomond (1996) - Never felt a sense of anticipation for a band about to take to the stage like the moments before this gig. The line-up was so strong it was basically a one day festival. Oasis were the hottest ticket in town back then.

R.E.M. - Cardiff International Arena (2008) - This gig was switched from the millennium stadium last minute due to poor ticket sales which was definitely for the best, made it a much more intimate experience. Although they were technically touring “Accelerate” their setlist spanned their entire back catalogue and seemed to focus on rarely played fans favourites. Their best performance from the 5 or 6 times I’ve seen them live.

John Fogerty - Hammersmith Apollo (2006) - Went to this with my late Dad as he was a huge Fogerty fan but had never seen him or CCR live. Just a brilliant gig. We had tickets for the stalls but like many ended up down the front by the end of an amazing setlist.

First proper Concert,1973,my Dad took my brother and I to see Duke Ellington at the Usher Hall,I'd be 11.Awesome experience even if he did look frail and lost his place a couple of times.I was watching a true legend.First proper gig,The White Riot Tour, aged 15,went by myself,excited beyond excited,the Playhouse.Saw the Jam,Slits,Buzzcocks, and Subway Sect on the same bill,then the Clash came on.Pandemonium,a crush like I'd only experienced at ER,seats got broken,bruises got achieved,left about half a stone lighter and a punk.3?hard to decide saw so many,a great one up the Nite Club above the Playhouse, must have been 82?The Birthday Party,supported by the Cocteau Twins,early Cocteaus,went in a fan of the Birthday Party, came out a massive fan of the Cocteau Twins.Could have mentioned the Buzzcocks supported by Joy Division or Public Enemy supported by 3rd Base,or Dizzy Gillespie.

I was at that 1973 Ellington gig. The giant was dead less than 6 months later. I spashed out for front row seats for me and girlfriend, who I married the next year. Music immense and the sound from his jazz orchestra, could be heard at the Fit o the Walk, I am sure. Mesmerised, digging every second of this, at some point I turned and unbelievably, she was fast asleep. Says it all.

BIG G

1. Stiff Little Fingers supported by the Skids (my favourite band in my late teens) and local punks Sema4, York rugby league club 1979ish
2. Culture, Usher Hall, 1980ish, was very much into reggae then, Two Sevens Clash would be one of my desert island discs
3. The Proclaimers, Leeds Grand Theatre,
2019. I'd never actually seen the Proclaimers live before, it was like a greatest hits playlist only slightly spoiled by a very syrupy version of Sunshine on Leith

Oasis - Loch Lomond (1996) - Never felt a sense of anticipation for a band about to take to the stage like the moments before this gig. The line-up was so strong it was basically a one day festival. Oasis were the hottest ticket in town back then.

R.E.M. - Cardiff International Arena (2008) - This gig was switched from the millennium stadium last minute due to poor ticket sales which was definitely for the best, made it a much more intimate experience. Although they were technically touring “Accelerate” their setlist spanned their entire back catalogue and seemed to focus on rarely played fans favourites. Their best performance from the 5 or 6 times I’ve seen them live.

John Fogerty - Hammersmith Apollo (2006) - Went to this with my late Dad as he was a huge Fogerty fan but had never seen him or CCR live. Just a brilliant gig. We had tickets for the stalls but like many ended up down the front by the end of an amazing setlist.

At this gig also. Oasis were great though I thought that Black Grape were immense.
Memorable not least because it took forever to get back to Leith, with a massive detour as a fucking oil tanker hit the Erskine bridge causing it's closure.

BIG G

Last edited:
David Bowie (Ziggy Stardust): Empire Edinburgh 1973

Ella Fitzgerald : Playhouse Edinburgh 1981

The Specials : Tiffany's Edinburgh 1979 (The Selector and Madness, all for less than £2 !!)

BIG G

Loch Lomond oasis 96 was a 2 dayer Kev. I was at the Sunday gig. Glorious Sunshine. They smashed it that day (and gave a heids up tae the CCS :gigglle:). Bootleg beatles were tremendous that day tae. Loch Lomond on the Sunday was just pure Love, everyone was just mashed.
Epic.

Loch Lomond oasis 96 was a 2 dayer Kev. I was at the Sunday gig. Glorious Sunshine. They smashed it that day (and gave a heids up tae the CCS :gigglle:). Bootleg beatles were tremendous that day tae. Loch Lomond on the Sunday was just pure Love, everyone was just mashed.
Epic.
I went with my sister to the Sunday Oasis Loch Lomond gig. It was mental. Roasting hot day. I remember going in and the Bootleg Beatles were just finishing their set..(seen them several times since, always great), Cast and Black Grape were excellent as were Ocean Colour Scene. I'd seen Oasis a couple of time before that gig, but the build-up to them coming on at Loch Lomond was unreal. They were tremendous as usual. They were absolutely huge at that time...I think they played Knebworth a few days later.

The Specials : Tiffany's Edinburgh 1979 (The Selector and Madness, all for less than £2 !!)

BIG G
There was me saying I thought I had seen most of the major artists of the last 50 years, but Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald, that takes some beating.
The Specials at Tiffany's must have been some night as well back then, along with the Selector and Madness...was that all on the same night ?

What was the name of that venue at the top of Abbey Mount that turned into the Good Time Emporium ? They always had loads of punk and ska bands playing back in the day .

Last edited:
There was me saying I thought I had seen most of the major artists of the last 50 years, but Duke Ellington and Ella Fitzgerald, that take some beating.
The Specials at Tiffany's must have been some night as well back then, along with the Selector and Madness...was that all on the same night ?

What was the name of that venue at the top of Abbey Mount that turned into the Good Time Emporium ? They always had loads of punk and ska bands playing back in the day .

Yes all on the same night. No seats, just people dancing to Ska revival. Quality.

The vunue that you mention was called The Moon. I saw some punk bands there 1980ish.

It had previously been the Regent pictures. Bizarrely some 15 years prior to watching punks there, I saw Jason and the Argonauts in 1964.

BIG G

Yes all on the same night. No seats, just people dancing to Ska revival. Quality.

The vunue that you mention was called The Moon. I saw some punk bands there 1980ish.

It had previously been the Regent pictures. Bizarrely some 15 years prior to watching punks there, I saw Jason and the Argonauts in 1964.

BIG G
I used to go there and watch Flash Gordon on a Saturday morning.

1. Stiff Little Fingers supported by the Skids (my favourite band in my late teens) and local punks Sema4, York rugby league club 1979ish
2. Culture, Usher Hall, 1980ish, was very much into reggae then, Two Sevens Clash would be one of my desert island discs
3. The Proclaimers, Leeds Grand Theatre,
2019. I'd never actually seen the Proclaimers live before, it was like a greatest hits playlist only slightly spoiled by a very syrupy version of Sunshine on Leith
I had a ticket for that SLF gig.
Unfortunately I had to go on a school trip to Germany that week. I was gutted. I wanted to pass on the trip. My wise old ma skelped my erse and put me on the bus to Saint Goarshausen wi a bunch of bams fi CraigMount. Good decision, but still regret missing the gig

Think my ticket was for the Odeon

Last edited:
3 is tough......in no particular order....

Average White Band at The Liquid Rooms circa 2004/2005

The Charlatans at The Corn Exchange 2002

Weller- any and every time I see him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BIG G
I’d gie my right nut to have been at that ziggy gig. Lucky bassa ?

Iggy pop/psychedelic furs, odeon 1979?
Japan.playhouse 1981.
Saw Tin Machine at the Barrowlands.
Not as bad as you may imagine.
Great venue

Still got the ticket ?
63392DB7-118E-44F0-B37D-2764313489EE.jpeg

Saw Tin Machine at the Barrowlands.
Not as bad as you may imagine.
Great venue
Had tickets for murrayfield gig, then realised it was my mates wedding same day.

Still got the ticket ?
View attachment 3355
I incorrectly called this the greatest hits tour (although that’s what it was) officially the sound and vision tour

Had tickets for murrayfield gig, then realised it was my mates wedding same day.
I was at that show.
Pissing rain

BIG G
I remember ella gig , bought parents tickets for my dads birthday.She was their all time favorite.

This thread has been viewed 5933 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back