Best gigs

Hibee Kev

Bounce Radge
I went with my sister to the Sunday Oasis Loch Lomond gig. It was mental. Roasting hot day. I remember going in and the Bootleg Beatles were just finishing their set..(seen them several times since, always great), Cast and Black Grape were excellent as were Ocean Colour Scene. I'd seen Oasis a couple of time before that gig, but the build-up to them coming on at Loch Lomond was unreal. They were tremendous as usual. They were absolutely huge at that time...I think they played Knebworth a few days later.

Yeah it was the Sunday I went too, a total scorcher ☀️ Think the Manics played the Saturday which would’ve been good to see. I remember it being complete bedlam just prior to them taking the stage - pints, bottles etc flying about to such extent that someone had to come on and tell the crowd to calm down!

NGP

A message to you, radge
Bounce Radge
Like everybody else, tough to name 3. In no particular order;

The Cure, Barrowlands, 1992. It was a warm up gig for a bigger tour. Fat Bob & Co were playing bigger venues by then (they played Edin Playhouse a few weeks later, last gig in Scotland for 27 years) and they basically played a couple tracks of their new material, then went through all their classic tunes. Very lucky to get a ticket, I think everyone there knew this was something we would not witness again.

The Godfathers, The Venue 1987 (I think). Pay at the door and it felt like that there were far to many people in, it was ridiculously rammed. One of two times I have ever stormed the stage, they finished with Anarchy in the UK. Bedlam, with bodies everywhere, not the only time, I'm glad that I'm over 6 foot at a gig.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds, Hydro 2018. I've seen Nick a few times and I was concerned that a big venue like the Hydro would not work for him. He was brilliant, had the whole place in the palm of his hand for 2.5 hours, simply sublime. It was my son's 21st that night and his 1st time watching Nick do his stuff, he was gobsmacked how good he was.

moathibby

Bounce Radge
I was at that 1973 Ellington gig. The giant was dead less than 6 months later. I spashed out for front row seats for me and girlfriend, who I married the next year. Music immense and the sound from his jazz orchestra, could be heard at the Fit o the Walk, I am sure. Mesmerised, digging every second of this, at some point I turned and unbelievably, she was fast asleep. Says it all.

BIG G
Got Mercer Ellington's autograph on the very classy programme.But where the programme is,Gawd knows,somewhere in my mum's in one of her many boxes.

Green tinted specs

Bounce Radge
I've still got loads of my old concert tickets and what I miss most is that the Regular Music promoters tickets were always pretty neat,as they had coloured paper with the bands name and sometimes logo written with varied lettering. Much nicer than the print out receipt looking ticketmaster pish.

GORDONSMITH7

Been Here For A While
Choosing three is almost impossible for most of us I guess, so for dessert.....

The Who : Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience : Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

The Doors : Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

As an aside, the recent controversy about the singing/non singing of Land of Hope and Glory at the Proms in the past few weeks reminded me of this at the Festival. Dinnae take offence my Nationalist amigos, 600,000 very stoned folk accompaniment, it was bizarre but splendid.....will always remember Tiny Tim and his ukulele. Class.

BIG G

Braehead Cabbage

Baldy radge
Bounce Radge
My first ever gig was UFO at the Odeon in 1980 when I was 15. Great stuff.
For a few years at that time I was totally into heavy rock and I went to see some of the classic rock bands of the time as they almost all played Edinburgh when they were touring. So I saw the likes of Rainbow, Thin Lizzy (several times), Judas Priest, Black sabbath (with a fledgling Iron Maiden supporting), Saxon, Rush (several times), Michael Schenker Group etc. Even though I kind of grew out of all that and got into loads of other music, I still like to this day many of those bands. Heavy Metal was a bit of an outlet for me at that time.
Don't think Maiden supported Sabbath but the did support Priest.

Westside Green

Bounce Radge
Choosing three is almost impossible for most of us I guess, so for dessert.....

The Who : Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience : Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

The Doors : Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

As an aside, the recent controversy about the singing/non singing of Land of Hope and Glory at the Proms in the past few weeks reminded me of this at the Festival. Dinnae take offence my Nationalist amigos, 600,000 very stoned folk accompaniment, it was bizarre but splendid.....will always remember Tiny Tim and his ukulele. Class.

BIG G
I'm jealous, would loved to have seen The Who with Keith Moon

GORDONSMITH7

Been Here For A While
50 years ago last week. Where did all that time go?

No your eyes have not been effected by mind altering substances.Three quid for the whole weekend. Having left school a few months before and my auld man being skint, I would never have attended this if not for the kindness of one of the two mates that I went with, whose father was a History lecturer who he got the dough off.

isle-of-wight-poster.jpg

Last edited:

Greenmachine

Bounce Radge
Don't think Maiden supported Sabbath but the did support Priest.
You are almost certainly correct. To be honest, I couldn't remember which one it was that Maiden were the support band, and both the Sabbath and Priest gigs were the same year and it was a hell of a long time ago ! I do remember Paul Dianno was the lead singer at that time.

GORDONSMITH7

Been Here For A While
You are almost certainly correct. To be honest, I couldn't remember which one it was that Maiden were the support band, and both the Sabbath and Priest gigs were the same year and it was a hell of a long time ago ! I do remember Paul Dianno was the lead singer at that time.

It was support for Judas Priest mate at the Odeon mate. I was on holiday, however the same year I saw Iron Maiden at Tiffanys of all places in 1980. Paul Dianno defo the singer.
Saw Blach Sabbath in 1971 or maybe 72 at the Empire. Biggest speakers I've seen in my life. Couldnae hear for some time after the gig.

BIG G

Last edited:

Gareth

Bounce Radge
Hmmm, just three?
Ok, Leftfield Leftim tour Barrowlands 1995 (I think). Anyone there talks of it as one of their top gigs, magical and mind altering in many ways
Public Enemy Fear of a Black Planet tour (1990 I think) Barrowlands. Best hip hop in the history of hip hop, left feeling knackered, full of energy, angry and very happy.
Amy Winehouse Bennicassim 2007. Just felt very privileged to have seen her sing, a tiny giant of a singer.

Others trying to push themselves onto this post, must resist.......

Latest Posts

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

Can you Help At All?
Goal
£107.00
Earned
£68.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage Visit Hibs Picks