barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
Bounce Radge
Ok let’s be avin ya.
Best 3 concerts you have attended.
Add colour to the story if you want.
But not best 5 or 6
Best 3.
I’m sure there are some classics given the musicos on here. Shrink may have seen Elvis support hank Williams.
So come on pop pickers.
Mine....At least for today...
Simon & Garfunkel Old friends tour Atlanta
Bowie Glass spider tour wembley
Billy Joel live at the garden - Madison square

Greenmachine

Bounce Radge
I would always name three Springsteen shows out of the 24 I have attended since 1985 because in my view no other live shows I have been to even come close, but in the interests of fairness and impartiality I will only name one;

1/ Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, June 4th 1985 St James Park, Newcastle; Literally changed my life. I was never the same person after it. Never experienced anything like it before or since. More a religious experience than a rock and roll show. Vowed to myself from then on I would go to see Bruce on every tour thereafter and I am very happy to say I have managed to do so.

2/ U2 August 1993, Celtic Park, Glasgow; Just awesome. Best stage show I have ever seen, and the band were totally on fire. I've seen U2 many times, but that was probably the best all round I have seen them..although the Playhouse show in 1984 was pretty special as well..especially since I managed to sneak in and see the show for nothing !

3/ Stevie Wonder at the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1989; Brilliant gig. His band were out of this world, and Stevie himself was fabulous. Played for three incredible hours.

Been lucky enough to have been to loads of concerts over the years and have seen just about every major artist and band of the last 50 or so years at various times, so it was very difficult to pick a second and third choice, but there you go. I had to pick two so I picked those two.

Last edited:

barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
Bounce Radge
I would always name three Springsteen shows out of the 24 I have attended since 1985 because in my view no other live performer even comes close, but in the interests of fairness and impartiality I will only name one;

1/ Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, June 4th 1985 St James Park, Newcastle; Literally changed my life. I was never the same person after it. Never experienced anything like it before or since. More a religious experience than a rock and roll show. Vowed to myself from then on I would go to see Bruce on every tour thereafter and I am very happy to say I have managed to do so.

2/ U2 August 1993, Smellies... Park, Glasgow; Just awesome. Best stage show I have ever seen, and the band were totally on fire. I've seen U2 many times, but that was probably the best all round I have seen them..although the Playhouse show in 1984 was pretty special as well..especially since I managed to sneak in and see the show for nothing !

3/ Stevie Wonder at the Edinburgh Playhouse in 1989; Brilliant gig. His band were out of this world, and Stevie himself was fabulous. Played for three incredible hours.

Been lucky enough to have been to loads of concerts over the years and have seen just about every major artist and band there has ever been at various times, so it was very difficult to pick a second and third choice, but there you go. I had to pick two so I picked those two.
I new you’d be first in 👍
I was at both of your first two concerts.
Bruce at Newcastle was narrowly edged out by billy Joel. Probably a lot to do with the venue as I’d always wanted to go to Madison square garden.

I thought the U2 gig was too contrived. Lots of politics, not enough music, but I do rate them.

wish I’d seen Stevie Wonder.

barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
Bounce Radge
Bruce at Newcastle was narrowly edged out by billy Joel. Probably a lot to do with the venue as I’d always wanted to go to Madison square garden.

I thought the U2 gig was too contrived. Lots of politics, not enough music, but I do rate them.

Also I could have went with three Bowie gigs been to see him 11 times
👍

Zab

Admin
Great idea this!

So my 3 are not necessarily the best bands I’ve seen or even the best shows, but they are the most memorable. In no particular order:

1 - Stereophonics, Edinburgh Castle: It pissed it down with rain for the entire night, and there was no bevy for sale, but me and my 3 best mates smuggled some vodka in and had a quality night.

2 - Gaslight Anthem, Picture House: not a well known band, but they are brilliant live. Just another that me and my mates had a great time at, which is kind of what it’s all about. What a venue that was too, tragedy it’s a fucking Wetherspoons now.

3 - Springsteen, Hampden Park: I wasn’t a massive fan going into this one, liked a few of his songs but that was about as much as I knew. My dad is a huge fan of his (in the same way Greenmachine appears to be!) and was adamant he was taking me. Anyway from song one I was blown away, got to see big Clarence play the sax, brilliant. I drove and somehow left the car boot open, the light stayed on and I drained the battery, so was an AA job before could even head home, oops!

barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
Bounce Radge
Quality Zab.
Cool that you picked a couple of lesser knowns. Thomas Dolby in New York almost made my list as did Mari Wilson at Edinburgh uni.

Greenmachine

Bounce Radge

Envious that you got to see Billy Joel at MSG. I'm a big fan as well. Saw him at the SECC in the early 90's but seeing him at the Garden must have been awesome.

barney

Atlanta Hibs Radge
Bounce Radge
My late ma was a huge Simon Garfunkel fan.
She visited me in Atlanta and luckily she arrived the night of the show. Straight from the airport to the gig. The look on her face was priceless.

Zab

Admin
Quality Zab.
Cool that you picked a couple of lesser knowns. Thomas Dolby in New York almost made my list as did Mari Wilson at Edinburgh uni.

I’ve been to so many gigs, but those were the first 3 that really jump out. Genuinely enjoyed them all, even if the artist wasn’t my cup of tea.

Played in bands too so been on the other side of it, brilliant experience.

moathibby

Bounce Radge
First proper Concert,1973,my Dad took my brother and I to see Duke Ellington at the Usher Hall,I'd be 11.Awesome experience even if he did look frail and lost his place a couple of times.I was watching a true legend.First proper gig,The White Riot Tour, aged 15,went by myself,excited beyond excited,the Playhouse.Saw the Jam,Slits,Buzzcocks, and Subway Sect on the same bill,then the Clash came on.Pandemonium,a crush like I'd only experienced at ER,seats got broken,bruises got achieved,left about half a stone lighter and a punk.3?hard to decide saw so many,a great one up the Nite Club above the Playhouse, must have been 82?The Birthday Party,supported by the Cocteau Twins,early Cocteaus,went in a fan of the Birthday Party, came out a massive fan of the Cocteau Twins.Could have mentioned the Buzzcocks supported by Joy Division or Public Enemy supported by 3rd Base,or Dizzy Gillespie.

hibbybilly

radge grandad radge
Bounce Radge
Also seen Billy Joel in the Garden a few years ago. Earth Wind and Fire at Wembley in late 70’s, there was mare on the stage than off it! Wisnae really but there was a lot of them. First gig I went tae was Slade at the Empire, Dave Hill sitting on a chair wi a broken leg and gang fights oot side, if memory serves me right.

Two Headed Boy

Bounce Radge
1. The Cure - Bellahouston Park, Glasgow 2019. I've been going to gigs since the mid 90s but my absolute favourite was just last year. The Cure were simply extraordinary. Very few bands can make tens of thousands in a park feel like they are at an intimate club gig but Bob Smith and his elder goths managed it (though it probably helped that I was down the front). Incredible sound, great set list and fantastic support from Mogwai and The Twilight Sad. One of those shows where you can feel the entire audience hanging off every note. Superb.

2. R.E.M. - Stirling Castle 1999. Generally speaking I prefer club gigs to big outdoor ones, but two of my favourites fall into the latter category simply by virtue of the expertise with which these two handle a crowd that size. R.E.M. were touring UP at the time, which is a divisive album in their back catalogue so it probably helps that I fall into the camp that quite likes it and its impact on the set was appreciated. That said, like most bands that have been around that long it really was a greatest hits set delivered with the panache you'd expect from a band of that stature.

3. Green Day - Glasgow Barrowlands 1998. They are a bit limp these days, but back then Green Day were still at their frenetic, snotty best. I was 16 and this was the first time I'd really seen a band take the roof off a place. There was a electric atmosphere in the Barras that night, the crowd just constantly moving, bouncing and the band milking it for all it was worth.

Last edited:

Donate

Help The Bounce, Bounce

Can you Help At All?
Goal
£107.00
Earned
£68.00
This donation drive ends in
Visit Frutin Travel Visit Robertsons Garage Visit Hibs Picks