• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

Benji Signs

eeyawe

Just A Radge
Reaction score
Finally got a work permit according to Forth FM

I like the bit about him being offered a LONG term deal Tony must really rate him that will do for me :thumbgrin: link here >>>>>Forth fm

Also from the Scotsman :thumbgrin

HIBS today revealed they are to sign Moroccan star Abdessalam Benjelloun after finally securing a work permit for the 21-year-old striker. Benjelloun has been training at Easter Road for the past ten weeks as the club has cut through a swathe of red tape to secure his signature on a long-term contract.

The final piece of the jigsaw was put in place yesterday as chairman Rod Petrie and manager Tony Mowbray pleaded Benjelloun's case before a Football Review Panel at Hampden.

And today Mowbray admitted he was "excited" at the prospect of having "Benji" - as he has been nick-named by his new team-mates - in a green and white shirt, revealing that he'll immediately join the first-team squad.

Benjelloun has played through the age levels for Morocco, culminating in the World Under-20 Championships in Holland last summer in which his country was beaten for third place in a play-off with Brazil. He actually received a call-up for Morocco's full squad but was forced to pull out through injury, a complication in securing a work permit being that he hadn't played in 75 per cent of his country's recent international matches.

But in the Hampden hearing Petrie and Mowbray underlined Benjelloun's talent. Mowbray said: "You have to remember that Morocco are 25 places ahead of Scotland in the current FIFA rankings and the fact he's played for his country at Under-18 and Under-19 shows he has a decent pedigree.

"We've been trying to put things in place for a while and thankfully for us things went well yesterday, it would have been very disappointing both for the club and Benji, having had ten weeks out of his life training with us, had our case failed."

And Mowbray revealed how Benjelloun has fitted in well to the young Easter Road dressing room, saying: "He has impressed both by his football ability and his ability to integrate perfectly into our structure.

"He has a happy smiling face, he's very respectful and everyone gets on with him, he's right for our dressing room.

"Our players respect his talent. We have some decent Scottish players and when he doesn't look out of place among the Scott Browns, Kevin Thomsons and Steven Whittakers you know he is at a decent level."

Benjelloun will return to Morocco - where he played with Moghreb Fes - to tie up a few loose ends before returning to Edinburgh where he will immediately set about forcing his way into Mowbray's first-team plans.

He said: "He'll be back early next week and possibly play in a reserve game the following week. He's set up and ready to go, he will be in the squad competing for a place like everyone else

"I am excited about him, he will be a good signing for us, he brings further competition and hopefully his arrival will give us a wee lift."

Asked what kind of striker Benjelloun was, Mowbray said: "He's not of Chris Killen's size or stature but he is a very strong lad.

"We'll have to get him up to the demands of the Scottish game but he turns people either side, shoots with both feet, he can dribble past opponents and is very aware with the ball at his feet.

"The fact he's been willing to spend ten weeks in Edinburgh on what was something of a gamble for him shows that he also feels he has a future at our club."

Meanwhile, Mowbray expects to field more or less the same side which lost to Celtic last weekend when Hibs travel to face Motherwell at Fir Park tomorrow in the SPL.

Welcome Benji!!! Hope u you bang in the goals ma man!! :thumbgrin :thumbgrin :yeah:

excellent news:thumbgrin

hopefully he is as good as all the reports!!:applause: :applause:

will he be able to play in the semi??:hmmm :dunno:

mogga said:
"We'll have to get him up to the demands of the Scottish game but he turns people either side, shoots with both feet, he can dribble past opponents and is very aware with the ball at his feet.

I like the sound of that.

Great news - heres to scoring the winner against the Jam fuds:thumbgrin :bbb: :bbb:

18grigson75 said:
excellent news:thumbgrin

hopefully he is as good as all the reports!!:applause: :applause:

will he be able to play in the semi??:hmmm :dunno:

good news :applause: :applause:

should be able to play in the semi-final since hes signed more than 7 days before the game i think anyway :dunno:

Sounds like a fine prospect, if Tony's got him long term he must be a bit special. Welcome to Hibs Benji.
:thumbgrin

I can see it now, Benji scoring the winner in the 90th minute on 2nd April.

Graet start to the weekend!!:thumbgrin

Clery hibee said:
I can see it now, Benji scoring the winner in the 90th minute on 2nd April.

Graet start to the weekend!!:thumbgrin

Oh what a bore you are, I can see this lad getting an easy hatrick against that donkey Pressley. Glad he is finally signed up though, welcome to the hibees family Benji :thumbgrin

Lesser Spotted Benji sighted near ER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those doubters out there who still question the existence of the "BENJI" (latin name Abdelsalem Benjelloune), EastStandP is glad to report that this shy, timid creature was spotted away from his natural goal-scoring environment of the training ground, in the Albion Bar last night. He engaged in some social interaction, keeping his instinctive predatory instincts firmly under control while drinking from a nearby glass of orange juice. He professed to be unsure on the number of goals he will score in the semi-final - is six showing off he asked with just a subtle hint of Leith in his accent. He let it be known that while supporting Inter, he only rated Stankovic's goal as average before wandering off into the night looking for a well lit wall to hit his football off.

EastStandP is also aware that it is very sad to refer to yourself in the third person.

EastStandP doesn't care.

Have tried to attach photo but don't know if it worked
Attached Thumbnails

EastStandP knows all - bow down before your omnipotent (impotent?) master
:applause:

Sounds good signing :) plus I think shows forward planning at Easter Rd ....Garry O goes ...but Chris K already brought in ....Deek likely to go ....enter Benji stage right :)

On the other hand you could always buy 11 from around Europe on the basis that one of them must be some good

Riordons replacement then???

Welcome Benji.:bbb: :bbb: :bbb:

sounds a very exciting player, we have a great midfield and frontline now, if we keep Deek then all the better.

Only the defence to sort out and maybe keeper?

WATCH US GO

Glory Glory

Stevie, i didny say he wouldnt score a hatrick, the score will be 3.2 hibs and Benji will score in the last minute to complete his hatrick.

Mon the cabbage

Lets hope he lives up to the hype.
4 against the yams would do nicely mind.:yeah:

Clery hibee said:
Stevie, i didny say he wouldnt score a hatrick, the score will be 3.2 hibs and Benji will score in the last minute to complete his hatrick.

Mon the cabbage

My mistake fingers crossed it comes true :thumbgrin

Clery hibee said:

Mon the cabbage

Stop it!! you're getting me all excited:rollfloor

quality stuff, welcome to ER, hope you score many, and especially against hearts !!!! :yeah:

Welcome to ER Benji :thumbgrin

First task is a easy one... bring the cup home :wink:

Clery hibee said:

Mon the cabbage

My mistake fingers crossed it comes true :thumbgrin

Welcome Benji:thumbgrin

awesome news:bbb: lets hope he is as good as expected:thumbgrin

voetbalprimeur_631_1.jpg

Great news :bbb: Will he go straight into the squad for tomorrow?

Evil Monkey said:
Also from the Scotsman :thumbgrin

HIBS today revealed they are to sign Moroccan star Abdessalam Benjelloun after finally securing a work permit for the 21-year-old striker. Benjelloun has been training at Easter Road for the past ten weeks as the club has cut through a swathe of red tape to secure his signature on a long-term contract.

The final piece of the jigsaw was put in place yesterday as chairman Rod Petrie and manager Tony Mowbray pleaded Benjelloun's case before a Football Review Panel at Hampden.

And today Mowbray admitted he was "excited" at the prospect of having "Benji" - as he has been nick-named by his new team-mates - in a green and white shirt, revealing that he'll immediately join the first-team squad.

Benjelloun has played through the age levels for Morocco, culminating in the World Under-20 Championships in Holland last summer in which his country was beaten for third place in a play-off with Brazil. He actually received a call-up for Morocco's full squad but was forced to pull out through injury, a complication in securing a work permit being that he hadn't played in 75 per cent of his country's recent international matches.

But in the Hampden hearing Petrie and Mowbray underlined Benjelloun's talent. Mowbray said: "You have to remember that Morocco are 25 places ahead of Scotland in the current FIFA rankings and the fact he's played for his country at Under-18 and Under-19 shows he has a decent pedigree.

"We've been trying to put things in place for a while and thankfully for us things went well yesterday, it would have been very disappointing both for the club and Benji, having had ten weeks out of his life training with us, had our case failed."

And Mowbray revealed how Benjelloun has fitted in well to the young Easter Road dressing room, saying: "He has impressed both by his football ability and his ability to integrate perfectly into our structure.

"He has a happy smiling face, he's very respectful and everyone gets on with him, he's right for our dressing room.

"Our players respect his talent. We have some decent Scottish players and when he doesn't look out of place among the Scott Browns, Kevin Thomsons and Steven Whittakers you know he is at a decent level."

Benjelloun will return to Morocco - where he played with Moghreb Fes - to tie up a few loose ends before returning to Edinburgh where he will immediately set about forcing his way into Mowbray's first-team plans.

He said: "He'll be back early next week and possibly play in a reserve game the following week. He's set up and ready to go, he will be in the squad competing for a place like everyone else

"I am excited about him, he will be a good signing for us, he brings further competition and hopefully his arrival will give us a wee lift."

Asked what kind of striker Benjelloun was, Mowbray said: "He's not of Chris Killen's size or stature but he is a very strong lad.

"The fact he's been willing to spend ten weeks in Edinburgh on what was something of a gamble for him shows that he also feels he has a future at our club."

Meanwhile, Mowbray expects to field more or less the same side which lost to Celtic last weekend when Hibs travel to face Motherwell at Fir Park tomorrow in the SPL.

Your surely not online at work ya bass - get back to it bank slave!!! now where did i put my cup o tea!

Suddenly O'Conners departure isnt feeling so hard to take. The way Mogga is talking about Benji he has made a real find. If Benji lives up to the hype, In Fletcher and Benji we have a very exciting future.

:bbb: :bbb: Welcome to Benji.. So Rod and Tony won the case to sign him at Hampden.. Lets hope Benji has success too on his FIRST trip to HAMPDEN:yeah:

CadgeMac said:
agree but dont forget Killen:thumbgrin

Cadge you seem to be forgetting King Konte in your list of star strikers lol:rollfloor

Hits the ball with either foot, he's strong on the ball, can dribble past people and he's on long term deal, plus the fact that a very calm and collected guy like TM is 'excited' about the signing, makes him almost too good to be true :yeah:

Tony Mowbray has usually been inclined to "play down" abilities, potential etc, so it's quite obvious he sees something special in this guy and I'm sure he won't disappoint us. Looking forward to seeing the lad in action. :applause:

I really hope Benji is able to justify all the hype about him so far, and that he is given time by the fans to settle into the pace and the physical side of Scottish Football. It looks like a fantastic piece of business by Mowbray, let's just hope it all comes together for him. TM has now tied up Chris Killen and Benji, and I think these two are replacements for Riordan and O'Connor. I hope they are as successful.

Does anybody else think that the manager is deliberately going to keep Benji back until the semi ? I think he will get a reserve game, and then be in the squad for Hampden. Hearts won't have a clue what he's like, but our management team will as he has been here for eleven weeks training with the squad and TM and Venus will have asessed his strengths and weaknesses. If Benji is as good as is being made out, and even Tony Mowbray says he is "excited" about him, then Derek Riordan missing the semi might not be quite as big a blow as first thought. Still wish he was available though.

great news hope he is as good as everyone sais he is :thumbgrin

The way that Benji has been built up by most people we are expecting a ronaldinho.:hmmm

Remember we all thought Konte was decent that played for Porto.

Will settle for only the 4 against Hearts though:thumbgrin

CadgeMac said:
yeah but mogga is really excited by this guy and he has been training for 10 weeks, think he will do a good job:thumbgrin

Well i trust TM so here's hoping.

Liking the sound of this guy. Its gonna be Easter Road for the entertainers all the way in.

Once we get Boozy, Deano and Antonio fit, feck me, Hibs could be leaps and bounds better next season.

Just dinnae ken where we'll fit Sam Morrow in when he comes back...

Welcome to Hibs Benji!! Hope that he lives up tp the hype but he will have to be given time by the fans to adapt the SPL.
:welcome Benji!!

Somebody could make a few bob selling 'fez' hats obviously green ones like,:hmmm
oi Jamie what aboot a morrocan smilie ????

oh sorry we've got one :wink:

:smoke:

This thread has been viewed 4810 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£47.50