Academy signings

Green Sleeves

Well-Known Radge
Great to see.

Or is it? Hard to get excited about Hibs Academy these days as very few young players make any impact on the first team. Porteous is the exception rather than the rule. He's nailed down a first team spot although recently his development has been stalling. Bigger waged teams ain't battering down our door to sign him.

Seen loads of great hopes touted over the last 10 years. Doig, Mackie, Gullane, Bradley are the latest. Maybe Josh Connor out of the ones signed in the article might come good. Who knows. Maybe some will make it. Maybe none.

Fraser Murray was touted a season ago but nobody gives him a second though now. At the start of 2019 season, while Hecky was asleep at the wheel, there was talk of another golden generation of youngsters coming through. Aye, right. Could reel off dozens of young guys touted by the club as having Great Potential from youth/development/Academy set up but where are they now?

Oli Shaw, Alex Harris, Callum Booth, all made big impacts in their first run of games but none ever claimed a regular first team spot. Booth looked a much better player than Doig in his first run of games for Hibs but something went wrong there too, although he seems to have done better at Partick Thistle. Same for Shaw, who was never quite Real Madrid material, but is still able to put his name on the scoresheet. Against us. Cummings seemed to be an exception, but even he he hasn't done much to write home about outside the Scottish second tier.

Meanwhile Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Mirren are able to produce high quality internationals who sell for millions. Loadsadosh for their coffers. I cant remember the last million pound player we developed from youth set up. Fletcher? (Was it really that long ago? Have I forgot someone obvious?) Instead we produce Spoony, Porteous, Booth, Cummings, and Shaw. That's about the sum of our contribution to top flight Scottish football in the last decade. Small change. So what exactly is wrong at Hibs?

Did we just get lucky in the Blobby/Mowbray era or was there a different set up and culture? I mind going down to a pre-season friendly at Gala Fairydean many moons ago and a big cocky unknown 16 year old swaggered on and netted all 4 goals. Then there was that magical semi final at Hampden in the rain when a bunch of kids blasted the all conquering Hun out the cup. Those were a long time ago. When will we get excited about young Hibs talent again?

If Hibs development/youth side of things was cost analysed it would have been wound up years ago as not fit for purpose.

Would love to hear a counter argument.

Two Headed Boy

Well-Known Radge
Great to see.

Or is it? Hard to get excited about Hibs Academy these days as very few young players make any impact on the first team. Porteous is the exception rather than the rule. He's nailed down a first team spot although recently his development has been stalling. Bigger waged teams ain't battering down our door to sign him.

Seen loads of great hopes touted over the last 10 years. Doig, Mackie, Gullane, Bradley are the latest. Maybe Josh Connor out of the ones signed in the article might come good. Who knows. Maybe some will make it. Maybe none.

Fraser Murray was touted a season ago but nobody gives him a second though now. At the start of 2019 season, while Hecky was asleep at the wheel, there was talk of another golden generation of youngsters coming through. Aye, right. Could reel off dozens of young guys touted by the club as having Great Potential from youth/development/Academy set up but where are they now?

Oli Shaw, Alex Harris, Callum Booth, all made big impacts in their first run of games but none ever claimed a regular first team spot. Booth looked a much better player than Doig in his first run of games for Hibs but something went wrong there too, although he seems to have done better at Partick Thistle. Same for Shaw, who was never quite Real Madrid material, but is still able to put his name on the scoresheet. Against us. Cummings seemed to be an exception, but even he he hasn't done much to write home about outside the Scottish second tier.

Meanwhile Aberdeen, Motherwell, St Mirren are able to produce high quality internationals who sell for millions. Loadsadosh for their coffers. I cant remember the last million pound player we developed from youth set up. Fletcher? (Was it really that long ago? Have I forgot someone obvious?) Instead we produce Spoony, Porteous, Booth, Cummings, and Shaw. That's about the sum of our contribution to top flight Scottish football in the last decade. Small change. So what exactly is wrong at Hibs?

Did we just get lucky in the Blobby/Mowbray era or was there a different set up and culture? I mind going down to a pre-season friendly at Gala Fairydean many moons ago and a big cocky unknown 16 year old swaggered on and netted all 4 goals. Then there was that magical semi final at Hampden in the rain when a bunch of kids blasted the all conquering Hun out the cup. Those were a long time ago. When will we get excited about young Hibs talent again?

If Hibs development/youth side of things was cost analysed it would have been wound up years ago as not fit for purpose.

I've said it a lot on here but I really think we have been a toxic place for youth development for a long time.

People might say we are no different to other clubs but I do not think that is true. Aberdeen, Motherwell and St Mirren are top 4, mid table and yo-yo clubs respectively and that's exactly what they have been doing. With us on the other hand there has been too much underachieving and impatience from the stands since the last of the golden generation left post-Collins. Kids have been flung in at the deep end and hung out to dry for years as a result.

I'd like to think that post-relegation, Scottish Cup and rebirth we are in a better place to start bringing kids through in a sensible manner again.

Last edited:

Greenmachine

Aulder Than Shrink This Radge
Great to see.

If you had posted this at any point during the last 15 years I would have been able to put up some sort of structured counter argument, however unfortunately I am going to have to agree with most of what you have said here, much as it pains me to do so.

I have attended many Development Team games over the years and have saw many young Hibs players excel at that level, including the ones you mentioned. Alex Harris and Sam Stanton were exceptional at that level. Fraser Murray as well. Jamie Gullan was the latest. None of them have really went on to become top players bringing in money to the club..

I have made the point for years that it is incredibly difficult for players at Development level to go all the way to the first team and stay there and also become top players in the process. That still is the case by the way. You need more than skill and ability, you need the right attitude and the right mental strength to cope with the demands of regular top flight first team football both physically (the pace of the game is much faster) and mentally. Far too many young players stall when they are given the chance. I do think many youngsters think they have made it when they get a game in the first team, when in fact they are only in the first day at work in a very hard and demanding new job. You need to sacrifice so much if you want to make it in football, and too many just can't do that.

I would question how many from the teams you mention have went on to become top players, I can think of David Turnbull at Motherwell who has just earned a big move to Celtic. John McGinn from St Mirren of course. Can't think of too many more, but I would agree with you that these clubs for some reason do seem to be able to bring through more who look more at ease when they get into the first team.

When the youth academy was revamped 7 years ago, I had hoped, with Eddie May running the show, that we would start to produce more. We have seen Josh Doig, Sean Mackie and Jamie Gullan recently get into the first team, but as of yet none of them have established themselves as regular starters and that is what they need to do.

Very few youngsters will make it. We did strike lucky just before Mowbray came but that tends to be the exception rather than the rule at any scottish club. Covid will also have restricted the development of our young players now.

No excuses though. I agree we do need to vastly improve on the development of our players. It is disappointing how few we have brought through who have the went on to bigger things bringing in money to the club.

Last edited: