‘The Hibs Way’

Dudge97

New radge
A term I’ve heard a lot lately on social media and before our games is ‘The Hibs Way’ when describing the style of football supposedly synonymous with the style of football regularly displayed at Easter Road. However, at least in my life time, I cannot remember Hibs playing a consistent brand of football that you could associate with being ingrained within the club culture.

Maybe the term hails from a bygone era, with the likes of the Famous Five churning out an exciting style of play that became expected of a Hibs side, but what actually is ‘The Hibs Way?’

Dudge97

New radge
Winning 5-4, not 1-0, The Famous 5, Turnbull’s Tornadoes, the Team that would not die, Tony Mowbray’s team, Sauzee and Latapy, JC the day we won the league cup, moments under Stubbsy and Neil Lennon. That day in May.
That’s the Hibs we should see more consistently mate, instead we’re given the expectation of defeat in cup finals and derbies. The above mentioned are purple patches that should, for me, be far more frequent given the size and fan base of our club.

Zab

Admin
It’s simply mythological pish that some clubs spout to mask years of rank rotten underachievement... Hibs, West Ham, Tottenham, Everton are all fine examples of clubs that have a “way”, but very little silverware to show for it. The emergence of the “United way” only began after the post-Ferguson decline.

Don’t get me wrong it’s great to support a club that has an ideology of playing attractive football, but it has given those in charge of the club a bit of a cop out when it comes to defining success. “No trophies, but we played some nice fitbaw eh... maybe next year. Now gies yer season ticket money”.

Could be worse mind, could support a team that has very little success and embraces a culture of playing absolutely horrific, eye bleeding football.

stickyRicky

Muirhouse Radge
A term I’ve heard a lot lately on social media and before our games is ‘The Hibs Way’ when describing the style of football supposedly synonymous with the style of football regularly displayed at Easter Road. However, at least in my life time, I cannot remember Hibs playing a consistent brand of football that you could associate with being ingrained within the club culture.

Maybe the term hails from a bygone era, with the likes of the Famous Five churning out an exciting style of play that became expected of a Hibs side, but what actually is ‘The Hibs Way?’

My opinion is It's fluent fast football played only in the Mowbray era. No many bad games played under his era and I always came away from a game saying to myself cracking game of football that was.

Dudge97

New radge
My opinion is It's fluent fast football played only in the Mowbray era. No many bad games played under his era and I always came away from a game saying to myself cracking game of football that was.
Can’t disagree mate, can’t remember an ‘era’ supporting Hibs, bearing in mind I’ve been spoiled with seeing us winning both cups where my grandad sadly didn’t, where we’ve played consistent football for longer than 2/3 seasons. Does it matter? Would people rather us play good stuff and finish 4th/5th than play Jack Ross ball and finish 3rd every season?

Zab

Admin
Can’t disagree mate, can’t remember an ‘era’ supporting Hibs, bearing in mind I’ve been spoiled with seeing us winning both cups where my grandad sadly didn’t, where we’ve played consistent football for longer than 2/3 seasons. Does it matter? Would people rather us play good stuff and finish 4th/5th than play Jack Ross ball and finish 3rd every season?

John Collins’ team probably produced the three most completely dominant football performances I’ve ever seen live from a Hibs team: 1-6 away to Motherwell, 1-0 at home to Hearts (81% possession), and the 2007 League Cup final. Those games were the incredible in terms of the way we dominated ball, but moved it quickly and with real purpose. We haven’t don’t that nearly enough over the years.

The 2016 Scottish Cup was the best example of a Hibs team refusing to accept defeat, instead standing strong and giving everything to win.

I don’t believe Jack Ross’ team is capable of either of those things, not without some quality additions.

It’s simply mythological pish that some clubs spout to mask years of rank rotten underachievement... Hibs, West Ham, Tottenham, Everton are all fine examples of clubs that have a “way”, but very little silverware to show for it. The emergence of the “United way” only began after the post-Ferguson decline.

Don’t get me wrong it’s great to support a club that has an ideology of playing attractive football, but it has given those in charge of the club a bit of a cop out when it comes to defining success. “No trophies, but we played some nice fitbaw eh... maybe next year. Now gies yer season ticket money”.

Could be worse mind, could support a team that has very little success and embraces a culture of playing absolutely horrific, eye bleeding football.

If you want to see the Hibs Way, chemically distilled, watch the 0-7 game on New Years Day in 1973 at Tynecastle. Elixir of life.

BIG G

Admin

Don’t get me wrong it’s great to support a club that has an ideology of playing attractive football, but it has given those in charge of the club a bit of a cop out when it comes to defining success. “No trophies7, but we played some nice fitbaw eh... maybe next year. Now gies yer season ticket money”.

Am fucked, I support two of them.

moathibby

Legendary Radge
'The Hibs Way' is a myth. I've seen some cracking games, I've seen some dross. Sometimes under the same manager. Ian Colquhoun reminded me we were playing some cracking stuff under Duffy. We played some cracking stuff under Miller and we also came up with some dross. I went during the Turnbill era, it wasn't always consistent. My highlight was probably Sporting Lisbon when we played some cracking fitba' but these nights are few and far between. I'd like us to play well; but that level only comes with a steady team, a fit team and a confident team. I don't know how you get any of that if your team is made up of players who aren't going to be around for much more than a season. There's a list of players stretching from before Agathe whom you don't see staying for much more then a season, I doubt we'll see Irvine or Nisbet for much longer not to mention Porteous. Year after year it's a case of 'rebuild and start again' you can't build Turnbill's Tornadoes when your teams more fleeting than the weather.

'The Hibs Way' is a myth. I've seen some cracking games, I've seen some dross. Sometimes under the same manager. Ian Colquhoun reminded me we were playing some cracking stuff under Duffy. We played some cracking stuff under Miller and we also came up with some dross. I went during the Turnbill era, it wasn't always consistent. My highlight was probably Sporting Lisbon when we played some cracking fitba' but these nights are few and far between. I'd like us to play well; but that level only comes with a steady team, a fit team and a confident team. I don't know how you get any of that if your team is made up of players who aren't going to be around for much more than a season. There's a list of players stretching from before Agathe whom you don't see staying for much more then a season, I doubt we'll see Irvine or Nisbet for much longer not to mention Porteous. Year after year it's a case of 'rebuild and start again' you can't build Turnbill's Tornadoes when your teams more fleeting than the weather.
Tosh.

BIG G

Want to get rid of the ads?
Click Here