• Guest, The HibeesBounce invites you to enter our Monthly Draw...

Enter our Monthly Draw Here

GGTTH

• hibeesbounce

‘The Hibs Way’

Dudge97

New radge
Reaction score
A term I’ve heard a lot lately on social media and before our games is ‘The Hibs Way’ when describing the style of football supposedly synonymous with the style of football regularly displayed at Easter Road. However, at least in my life time, I cannot remember Hibs playing a consistent brand of football that you could associate with being ingrained within the club culture.

Maybe the term hails from a bygone era, with the likes of the Famous Five churning out an exciting style of play that became expected of a Hibs side, but what actually is ‘The Hibs Way?’

Winning 5-4, not 1-0, The Famous 5, Turnbull’s Tornadoes, the Team that would not die, Tony Mowbray’s team, Sauzee and Latapy, JC the day we won the league cup, moments under Stubbsy and Neil Lennon. That day in May.

Winning 5-4, not 1-0, The Famous 5, Turnbull’s Tornadoes, the Team that would not die, Tony Mowbray’s team, Sauzee and Latapy, JC the day we won the league cup, moments under Stubbsy and Neil Lennon. That day in May.
That’s the Hibs we should see more consistently mate, instead we’re given the expectation of defeat in cup finals and derbies. The above mentioned are purple patches that should, for me, be far more frequent given the size and fan base of our club.

That’s the Hibs we should see more consistently mate, instead we’re given the expectation of defeat in cup finals and derbies. The above mentioned are purple patches that should, for me, be far more frequent given the size and fan base of our club.
It’s the Hibs way auld buggers like your old man and me mean.

It’s simply mythological pish that some clubs spout to mask years of rank rotten underachievement... Hibs, West Ham, Tottenham, Everton are all fine examples of clubs that have a “way”, but very little silverware to show for it. The emergence of the “United way” only began after the post-Ferguson decline.

Don’t get me wrong it’s great to support a club that has an ideology of playing attractive football, but it has given those in charge of the club a bit of a cop out when it comes to defining success. “No trophies, but we played some nice fitbaw eh... maybe next year. Now gies yer season ticket money”.

Could be worse mind, could support a team that has very little success and embraces a culture of playing absolutely horrific, eye bleeding football.

A term I’ve heard a lot lately on social media and before our games is ‘The Hibs Way’ when describing the style of football supposedly synonymous with the style of football regularly displayed at Easter Road. However, at least in my life time, I cannot remember Hibs playing a consistent brand of football that you could associate with being ingrained within the club culture.

Maybe the term hails from a bygone era, with the likes of the Famous Five churning out an exciting style of play that became expected of a Hibs side, but what actually is ‘The Hibs Way?’

My opinion is It's fluent fast football played only in the Mowbray era. No many bad games played under his era and I always came away from a game saying to myself cracking game of football that was.

My opinion is It's fluent fast football played only in the Mowbray era. No many bad games played under his era and I always came away from a game saying to myself cracking game of football that was.
Can’t disagree mate, can’t remember an ‘era’ supporting Hibs, bearing in mind I’ve been spoiled with seeing us winning both cups where my grandad sadly didn’t, where we’ve played consistent football for longer than 2/3 seasons. Does it matter? Would people rather us play good stuff and finish 4th/5th than play Jack Ross ball and finish 3rd every season?

Whatever "the Hibs way" is,...

It doesnt work

Can’t disagree mate, can’t remember an ‘era’ supporting Hibs, bearing in mind I’ve been spoiled with seeing us winning both cups where my grandad sadly didn’t, where we’ve played consistent football for longer than 2/3 seasons. Does it matter? Would people rather us play good stuff and finish 4th/5th than play Jack Ross ball and finish 3rd every season?

John Collins’ team probably produced the three most completely dominant football performances I’ve ever seen live from a Hibs team: 1-6 away to Motherwell, 1-0 at home to Hearts (81% possession), and the 2007 League Cup final. Those games were the incredible in terms of the way we dominated ball, but moved it quickly and with real purpose. We haven’t don’t that nearly enough over the years.

The 2016 Scottish Cup was the best example of a Hibs team refusing to accept defeat, instead standing strong and giving everything to win.

I don’t believe Jack Ross’ team is capable of either of those things, not without some quality additions.

It’s simply mythological pish that some clubs spout to mask years of rank rotten underachievement... Hibs, West Ham, Tottenham, Everton are all fine examples of clubs that have a “way”, but very little silverware to show for it. The emergence of the “United way” only began after the post-Ferguson decline.

Don’t get me wrong it’s great to support a club that has an ideology of playing attractive football, but it has given those in charge of the club a bit of a cop out when it comes to defining success. “No trophies, but we played some nice fitbaw eh... maybe next year. Now gies yer season ticket money”.

Could be worse mind, could support a team that has very little success and embraces a culture of playing absolutely horrific, eye bleeding football.

If you want to see the Hibs Way, chemically distilled, watch the 0-7 game on New Years Day in 1973 at Tynecastle. Elixir of life.

BIG G

Don’t get me wrong it’s great to support a club that has an ideology of playing attractive football, but it has given those in charge of the club a bit of a cop out when it comes to defining success. “No trophies7, but we played some nice fitbaw eh... maybe next year. Now gies yer season ticket money”.

Am fucked, I support two of them.

I actually thought that after I posted 😂

If you want to see the Hibs Way, chemically distilled, watch the 0-7 game on New Years Day in 1973 at Tynecastle. Elixir of life.

BIG G

Ah the glory days eh! But I’m far too young to have seen it, and grainy old YouTube footage doesn’t do it justice.

I actually thought that after I posted 😂

I would not have it any other way. Born not manufactured.💚💙

Ah the glory days eh! But I’m far too young to have seen it, and grainy old YouTube footage doesn’t do it justice.
It's on DVD 💚

I would not have it any other way. Born not manufactured.💚💙

Absolutely! Give me idealism, hope, despair, and moments of indescribable joy over whatever non-Hibs fans get.

It's on DVD 💚

I’ve seen it plenty times, but it’s still grainy old footage. Quality performance all the same.

6-2 more significant in my life time.

'The Hibs Way' is a myth. I've seen some cracking games, I've seen some dross. Sometimes under the same manager. Ian Colquhoun reminded me we were playing some cracking stuff under Duffy. We played some cracking stuff under Miller and we also came up with some dross. I went during the Turnbill era, it wasn't always consistent. My highlight was probably Sporting Lisbon when we played some cracking fitba' but these nights are few and far between. I'd like us to play well; but that level only comes with a steady team, a fit team and a confident team. I don't know how you get any of that if your team is made up of players who aren't going to be around for much more than a season. There's a list of players stretching from before Agathe whom you don't see staying for much more then a season, I doubt we'll see Irvine or Nisbet for much longer not to mention Porteous. Year after year it's a case of 'rebuild and start again' you can't build Turnbill's Tornadoes when your teams more fleeting than the weather.

Grainy my arse. They only grainy experience you've had is the thin gruel you have tasted watching Hibs over the last seconds of our proud history.

BIG G

'The Hibs Way' is a myth. I've seen some cracking games, I've seen some dross. Sometimes under the same manager. Ian Colquhoun reminded me we were playing some cracking stuff under Duffy. We played some cracking stuff under Miller and we also came up with some dross. I went during the Turnbill era, it wasn't always consistent. My highlight was probably Sporting Lisbon when we played some cracking fitba' but these nights are few and far between. I'd like us to play well; but that level only comes with a steady team, a fit team and a confident team. I don't know how you get any of that if your team is made up of players who aren't going to be around for much more than a season. There's a list of players stretching from before Agathe whom you don't see staying for much more then a season, I doubt we'll see Irvine or Nisbet for much longer not to mention Porteous. Year after year it's a case of 'rebuild and start again' you can't build Turnbill's Tornadoes when your teams more fleeting than the weather.
Tosh.

BIG G

Tosh.

BIG G
Paul Tosh? 1 goal every 11 games, pish for a striker... NOT the Hibs way :)

You couldn't be more wrong, Moaty, although you have tried often! The Hibs Way is no myth. Just because we have to watch some utter pish at times does not mean the Hibs Way does not exist. Even some of the most biased and bigoted hacks from the West of Scotland have written about "the Hibs Way" of playing the beautiful game. I agree that some of the fitbaw I have seen from players wearing the revered colours has been as far from the Hibs Way as it could have been, but we have been lucky also to have had some managers who have tried to instil in the players the kind of football we recognise as ours. But even on your last point, Moaty, the great man himself tried to change tack with his Tornadoes when he altered the style of the team to fit Harper in, a huge mistake I thought at the time and demonstrated against it in my own way, but he felt the team had to evolve to maintain its position. The Hibs Way? We see it rarely, but by God we recognise it when it's in front of us!

April 2018, Hibs 5 Killie 3. Pegged back twice, 5 different scorers, sexy shroo ball assist from Scotty, a couple of stupid goals given away, and scoring 90+2 to put it to bed. Some game (and some free kick from that fucking pie Boyd to be fair)

This is the "Hibs way" for me.
Sorry about the rat in the thumbnail

April 2018, Hibs 5 Killie 3. Pegged back twice, 5 different scorers, sexy shroo ball assist from Scotty, a couple of stupid goals given away, and scoring 90+2 to put it to bed. Some game (and some free kick from that fucking pie Boyd to be fair)

This is the "Hibs way" for me.
Sorry about the rat in the thumbnail

Actually think both of McGinns assists in that game are better than Scott's

Oh the 'Hibs way ' indeed does exist. As a kid I got my first sense of it ,watching Gordon,Stanton,Blackley. Football as a expression of art.
Handed down from Father tae son. Entertainment.
Football has changed , players move clubs quickly for the quick buck, not saying its wrong but it erodes stability . Footballers are mainly boring robots these days,but that's a coaching issue throughout Scottish football for me.
I have seen , felt , lived the 'Hibs way '.
Build from the back , a solid foundation. Then acquire a blend of fitba players ,who entertain and have SKILL. NO SUBSTITUTE FOR SKILL, Not my words, Mr Eddie Turnbull.

BIG G
Your looking at it through green tinted specs. The Jambos didnae turn up.

Well that's a different thread altogether. We'd all hope we could see us play good stuff and end up third but that doesn't happen. Remember when the Jambos were third for a while they played awful football. Only once did I see them play well and that was under George Burley era. Playing good football rarely brings success, in Scotland anyway.

Would you say Rangers played "Hibs way" type of football?

Your looking at it through green tinted specs. The Jambos didnae turn up.

Not actually the case.
The Gunts had a couple of decent attempts before we scored......... the first 10 minutes were end to end. Then Jimmy O'Rourke set us on our way.
:49:

So either we play the 'Hibs Way' or we 'Hibsed' it. West Coast hacks have a lot to answer for. Usually it's typing pish after imbibing a half bottle.

So either we play the 'Hibs Way' or we 'Hibsed' it. West Coast hacks have a lot to answer for. Usually it's typing pish after imbibing a half bottle.

Possibly their 'copy' would be much better after a bevy. The standard of fitba' journalism is depressingly low, with very few exceptions.
Football punditry in Scotland is even worse, again with very few making any sense at all. Higher standards appear on the Bounce regularly, with 'Just Back' topping the list in my view.

Thr Hibs way hasn't really existed in my lifetime.
We've had a couple of squads capable of playing very nice football and we'll go on about it being the Hibs way while we can, but its clearly not part of the identity of the club to the point where we expect it from the boardroom.

For it to be our way, we need to make it clear from the top.

Would you say Huns played "Hibs way" type of football?

They did last season.

They did last season.

Hmm I see it different. It wasn't fast flowing type football more efficient than anything.

Man City at the moment I would consider the only team who play the "Hibs Way".

Defo, This isnae a bad version though

im same Hibernian .......and newcastle :sm127:

Grainy my arse. They only grainy experience you've had is the thin gruel you have tasted watching Hibs over the last seconds of our proud history.

BIG G
yasss big G!
Heartz bastards.

and perverts.

Not actually the case.
The Gunts had a couple of decent attempts before we scored....... the first 10 minutes were end to end. Then Jimmy O'Rourke set us on our way.
Watched Big G’s vid and never noticed before, Garland had a couple of good saves tae.

Defo, This isnae a bad version though

I'd forgotten the Hibees Here Hibees There song was often sung with de di di instead of lyrics.

Forgot we had joined the EEC. Did Mr Mullun recover? Ok I admit, I'm talking pish. There is a Hibs Way.

Not actually the case.
The Gunts had a couple of decent attempts before we scored....... the first 10 minutes were end to end. Then Jimmy O'Rourke set us on our way.
Yes, I think on the video, after the second Gunts missed chance, you can hear their fans chanting 'Easy, Easy'!

This thread has been viewed 4510 times.

Your donation helps pay for our dedicated server and software support renewals. We really do appreciate it!
Goal
£100.00
Earned
£100.75
Back